BPsite Forums
April 27, 2024, 07:43:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Tolkien  (Read 25881 times)
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2003, 08:50:23 PM »

I don't know if Auron will let this topic stay, but there's been quite a bit of discussion of Tolkien in another topic called Farm Revolts and I thought it might be better to move the discussion here so that thread might be used for, I don't know, a discussion about Farm Revolts.  Also, if they are seperated it might be easier to follow both conversations.  So, here the topic is, and if Auron closes it because he thinks it's too out there, I do apologize to him for the inconvenience of putting up another useless topic that you have to close down, but I did think there was osme interest in the topic.

Lady of light

* diskreet votes for LadyofLight as cutest TGA member. Cheesy

* diskreet picks up LadyofLight and takes her home. Tongue

* LadyofLight feels like diskreet is trying to take advantage of her :-|
Carenevaelvdelity

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 09:01:56 PM »

I'll help you move the conversation. It would make much more sense here.

I've actually had this conversation with a good friend of mine who, as a hobby, analyzes the TotR series and discusses the books. She once mentioned to me that people have actually sung their own version of the songs and put them out on personnal websites and/or a downloading system like Kazaa. I'll see what I can find.

Do not go where the path may lead, instead venture off the path and leave a trial.[/size][/font]

When it hurts to look back, and you are afriad to look ahead, look beside you and I will be there.[/font]
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 09:03:38 PM »

That would be cool!  If you find the songs on Kazaa, please let us know!  Wink  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 09:08:03 PM »

Moved to Arts and Literature.
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 09:11:14 PM »

Oh, ok.  Does that mean we won't be able to access it form the city anymore?

LadyofLight

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 09:22:31 PM »

Well... we can for now, but the link will disapepar eventually.  Wink

Maybe you should create a new thread in the City explaining where the old one went!  LOL
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 09:23:20 PM by Lord Lanair » Logged

-Que sera, sera.
Attackus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 09:55:06 PM »

Just borrowed The Silmarillion today...started reading it and it is INCREDIBLE!!  Cheesy  I've read the trilogy, but I think that this is almost better...:rolleyes:
-A

Never, never before had their eyes rested on the rolling hills of Morsha...never before had they thought of what they would see.  That very moment, that twilight moment, their eyes glowed in wonder and they started down the bank.
-Memoirs of Attackus
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 09:56:06 PM »

The link in the city will remain until its deleted.  
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 10:09:55 PM »

Just borrowed The Silmarillion today...started reading it and it is INCREDIBLE!!  I've read the trilogy, but I think that this is almost better...

I feel the same way.  I absolutely love it.  This was Tolkien's first love.  He spent twenty years on LOTR; he spent his life on the Silmarillion.  It's what he did first and what he was still doing when he died.

Here's the next installment of SIlmarillion:

On a time of autumn he came in the dusk of evening, and drawing near he saw as he thought a
light at the window; and coming warily he looked within. There he saw Eilinel, and her face was
worn with grief and hunger, and it seemed to him that he heard her voice lamenting that he had
forsaken her. But even as he cried aloud the light was blown out in the wind; wolves howled, and on
his shoulders he felt suddenly the heavy hands of Sauron's hunters. Thus Gorlim was ensnared; and
taking him to their camp they tormented, seeking to learn the hidings of Barahir and all his ways.
But nothing would Gorlim tell. Then they promised him that he should be released and restored to
Eilinel, if he would yield; and being at last worn with pain, and yearning for his wife, he faltered.
Then straightaway they brought him into the dreadful presence of Sauron; and Sauron said: 'I hear
now that thou wouldst barter with me. What is thy price?'

LadyofLight

P.S. Please don't delete the link to this thread!  Sad  

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 10:12:35 PM »

I won't dont worry. However, it will slip off the first page of the city pretty fast.

If anyone starts talkin Tolkien in there, Im gonna chuck em a link here though Smiley
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 10:20:11 PM »

Okay, thanks.  Tongue

And Gorlim answered that he should find Eilinel again, and with her be set free; for he
thought Eilinel also had been made captive.
Than Sauron smiled, saying: 'That is a small price for so great a treachery. So shall it surely
be. Say on!'
Now Gorlim would have drawn back, but daunted by the eyes of Sauron he told at last all that
he would know. Then Sauron laughed; and he mocked Gorlim, and revealed to him that he had only
seen a phantom devised by wizardry to entrap him; for Eilinel was dead. 'Nonetheless I will grant
thy prayer,' said Sauron; 'and thou shalt go to Eilinel, and be set free of my service.' Then he put
him cruelly to death.

LadyofLight

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 03:43:34 AM »

Why should I have bought The Silmarillion if I have all your quotes, lady?  LOL   Still, keep 'em coming.  It's a nice touch.

Oh, want some content for this post?  Er... Gorlim should have known better than to trust Sauron!  Wink
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 03:43:59 AM by Lord Lanair » Logged

-Que sera, sera.
whiteknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 04:08:06 AM »

i agree.....the silmarillion is incredible.....when i took the time to read it, i was blown away.  It fills in so much of what is only hinted at in the more popular books

When you plan for the worst, all suprises are pleasant
-Gaul

Cavalry General Retired.
But remember, once a Knight of the Order, always a Knight of the Order
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 12:26:01 AM »

I like it much more than LoTR.  Except, it's kinda hard to keep track of all those Noldor with the similar names...  Feanor, Fingol, Fingolfin, Finarfin... need I say more?  LOL  

-Que sera, sera.
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 01:11:43 AM »

Yeah, it makes it a little more hard to follow, but I like it that way.  It keeps it from getting boring so you can get more each time you read it as you become more and more familiar with the characters.

Oh, and you should buy (/have bought) the Silmarillion cuz I'm only going over part of it and it is so much better to read it yourself than to get bits and pieces every day, which makes it harder to get into the story.

And for the quote-of-the-post:
In this way the hiding of Barahir was revealed, and Morgoth drew his net about it; and the
Orcs coming in the still hours before dawn surprised the men of Dorthonion and slew them all, save
one. For Beren son of Barahir had been sent by his father on a perilous errand to spy upon the ways
of the Enemy, and he was far afield when the lair was taken. But as he slept benighted in the forest
he dreamed that carrion-birds sat thick as leaves upon bare trees beside a mere, and blood dripped
from their beaks.

Then Beren was aware in his dream of a form that came to him across the water, and it was a
wraith of Gorlim; and it spoke to him declaring his treachery and death, and bade him make haste to
warn his father. Then Beren awoke, and sped through the night, and came back to the lair of the
outlaws on the second morning. But as he drew near the carrion-birds rose from the ground and sat
in the alder-trees beside Tarn Aeluin, and croaked in mockery.

LadyofLight

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: