BPsite Forums
April 27, 2024, 01:16:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tolkien  (Read 25885 times)
Filran

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2003, 09:33:19 PM »

the "rabid murderous trees"were ents. and they didn't eat the orcs, they more crushed them and stuff because they hated the orcs for senselessly chopping the trees down.

Actually, I was refering to the trees that went fom Fangor to Helm's Deep, not the Ents to Isengard.

They were Th- something. Lemme get my book!

Well, they also forgot Hama at Helm's Deep, who I thought kicked ass, even thought he was minor. He died in the battle, and was buried at the gates, so that he could protect them for all time.

And they replaced Erkenbrand with Eomer.

Well, anyway, I can't find them now. But they were FORMER Ents. They ate/made the orcs never appear ever again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 09:34:12 PM by Filran » Logged

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold.

Member of TGA for five years! Joined Feb 1st, 2003
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2003, 03:10:45 AM »

They were Huorns.

Here is my view I posted in another board once:

Hello, with all of the talk about whether ROTK will be accurate to Tolkein, etc. I fear I must make a comment of which many diehard LOTR book lovers will hate me for. But first let me say I LOVE Tolkein's books. He was a literary genius. Maybe that will help you understand I do love the book and mean nothing ill by what I'm about to say.

You see, many people believe PJ should have kept the movies strictly to the book, play by play. Well, first I must point out that if he did so, because there is so much that happens, there would be no depth. One of the reasons it probably hasn't won an oscar (though I daresay it deserves it!) is because the in film, deep character depth and psychological understanding of a character is very important. Now, drama is basically a showcase for acting. Movies like A Beautiful Mind are excellent acting. People come away going "Wow, that man is so talented, he completely disappeared into the character." Unfortunately, while this same skill may be applied to fantasy, it is less noticed because a lot of the film is telling just what happened, not what it meant . Now, ELijah is one of those actors who can invoke the ""Wow", but just the events actually take away from getting to really see Frodo as well as in say, a Drama (interesting side thought, what sort of drama would Frodo be in?) Basicallly, what I am trying to say is that if PJ had done TOlkein event for event, we would not have time to know the characters at all and would feel disconnected and would frankly not care what was happenning. It would fail to capture our interest. We NEED to know Frodo in an intimate way that that would not provide. A movie is different than a book, it is not something that can be read over the course of a month when a viewer has time. It has to fit into certain time restrictions, or no one will watch it (perhaps with the exception of people like us  ) People expect a book to be more in depth. But that kind of depth just isn't practical in a movie. Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

So, movies and books are different, what does that mean to diehards like us? What it comes down to is just seperating the movie and film in your mind as entirely seperate entities. Seems difficult? of course, as they both follow roughly the same story. But do you have trouble watching, say, All I Want because it is not like the classic Romeo and Juliet? Of course not. They're entirely different. Well, try and apply the same thing. The movie is so different, just forget it's based on a book while we watch it. Just experience the movie, get lost in it, and don't think about alternate plots, or what they've changed, but what they've created within itself.

I don't know if anyone understands a thing I've saide, but I shall refrain from going on incase I'm boring everyone. If you want me to explain it more I'll try. I just know I've pretty much managed to accomplish this, and I have a passion for both the movie and the book, and neither one upsets me. I left the theater from Two Towers with the same thrill Tolkein's work gives me. There just different, perhaps better suited to their own genres.

Kelsey

LadyofLight

* diskreet votes for LadyofLight as cutest TGA member. Cheesy

* diskreet picks up LadyofLight and takes her home. Tongue

* LadyofLight feels like diskreet is trying to take advantage of her :-|
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2003, 04:02:04 AM »

yeah, their huorns, they were once trees that sort of evolved into a simmilar form of the ents but they are not actually ents.  as for what the Lady of light said up there, I agree partially,  the movie is meant to be a different view of the book and should not be entirely like to the book.  by this I mean that minor changes should be made simply because a movie and a book are two entirely different forms of getting a story across.  however, there are some changes in the book that I was quite qutraged to see.  one of these changes was the absense of Tom Bombadil.  now we all know that Tom is not overall an important charracter, but he is an essential to find the bature of the ring itself.  it also refers in a way back to ancient times seeing as how tom is an ancient person that "came before the world" suggesting that he is a maiar or a lesser spirit.  but sometimes backround information is needed to explain the main storyline if you understand my meaning.)or maybe you don't and take this as senseless rambling Tongue )  But the worst book to movie change that PJ (kind of reminds me of PB and J Tongue ) made is the altering of frodo's course.  how the hell is he gonna make frodo go to gondor??? that completely changes the storyline because the ring was never supposed to go near Gondor.  Also it completly alters the personality of Faramir and makes him look way too much like to Borimir, his brother.  Faramir was supposed to be stronger in mind than his brother and able to resist the evil temptation of the ring, not to be swayed to take it to his father, the steward.  it ruins his good position for the third book where he is held in such reverence by his fellow people.  and it kind of defeats the argument that is set between him and his father generated by the death of Borimir.

there, that is my point.  feel free to argue with it if you want, I am open to your ideas on the subject.

Filran

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2003, 11:47:17 AM »

Yes, they ruined good Faramir. Now, I didn't like him as much as his brother, and I always imagined that slightly, somewhere in there, he felt the pull of the ring, he was just good at not showing it.

And also, in the movie they made him question Smeagol alone, when in the books he was guestioning with Frodo there to keep Smeagol calm. All they did was make Faramir seem like a giant ass.

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2003, 04:41:16 PM »

yes, on the subject of smeagol, what do you think of the fish song that smeagol does by the pool?  sort of disturbing, don't you think?

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2003, 11:08:54 PM »

It fits his character.  And Faramir was Boromir's brother?  It's been a while since I read the books, and some of the characters' names excape me (especially the prines of Rohan!  Could they have any more names begin with "E"?!?).  LOL
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:09:20 PM by Lord Lanair » Logged

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
Filran

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2003, 11:54:17 PM »

Yes. Yes they could. Want a list?

Here ya go. XD

Earendil
Earnur
Ecthelion
Edain
Elbereth
Eldat
Elentari
Elendil
Elessar
Elfhelm
Elfstone
Elladan
Elrohir
Elrond (Halfelven. Tongue)
Elwing
Ents
Entwives
Eomer
Eomung
eored
Eorl
Eorlingas
Eothain
Eowyn
Erestor
Erkebrand
Evenstar

And yes, Boromir, and Faramir were brothers.

Boromir the eldest by 5 years, at the age of 40. Faramir the youngest by 5 years at the age of 35.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:55:02 PM by Filran » Logged

LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2003, 01:19:58 AM »

I liked smeagol's song, it was rather amusing.  Smeagol was one of the best characters in the movie, most definitely.

Then Thingol looked upon Beren in scorn and anger; but Melian was silent. 'Who are you',
said the King, 'that come hither as a thief, and unbidden dare to approach my throne?'
But Beren being filled with dread, for the splendour of Menegroth and the majesty of Thingol
were very great, answered nothing. Therefore LĂșthien spoke, and said: 'He is Beren son of Barahir,
lord of Men, mighty foe of Morgoth, the tale of whose deeds is become a song even among the
Elves.'
'Let Beren speak!' said Thingol. 'What would you here, unhappy mortal, and for what cause
have you left your own land to enter this, which is forbidden to such as you? Can you show reason
why my power should not be laid on you in heavy punishment for you insolence and folly?'

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2003, 08:18:31 PM »

yes, smeagol was very well played.  the song was quite amusing (accompamied by him smashing the fish to death, it was a great combination LOL ).  

filran, some of those aren't names, their words!  (ex: eldar(forgot the r on yours, it means the elves who left cuivienen) and edain (men, any specific type?))  oh, and how could you forget elronds brother, elros? you slacker! Tongue  

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2003, 01:00:29 AM »

I'm impressed he knew so many to begin with.  And I was thinking of thr Rohirrim when I said there were so many E names.  I knew people like Elrond!  LOL  

-Que sera, sera.
LadyofLight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2003, 03:13:56 AM »

Tolkein did the same with others as well. Ex, Aragorn son of Arathorn.

Very similar

Then Beren looking up beheld the eyes of LĂșthien, and his glance went also to the face of
Melian and it seemed to him that words were put into his mouth. Fear left him, and the pride of the
eldest house of Men returned to him; and he said: 'My fate, O King, led me hither, through perils
such as few even of the Elves would dare. And here I have found what I sought not indeed, but
finding I would possess for ever. For it is above all gold and silver, and beyond all jewels. Neither
rock, nor steel, nor the fires of Morgoth, nor all the powers of the Elf-kingdoms, shall keep from me
the treasure that I desire. For LĂșthien your daughter is the fairest of all the Children of the World.'

LadyofLight

Filran

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:23 AM »

Theres alot more. And, technicly, words are names, are they not?  Wink  

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2003, 04:54:47 AM »

Actually, names are words ( Cheesy ), and the best ones Tolkein came up with are probably the Elven ones.  Smiley  

-Que sera, sera.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: