BPsite Forums
April 29, 2024, 06:07:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: My Comp SUX (help?)  (Read 26987 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 01:09:24 AM »

Ok, Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up the Task Manager, then click the Processes tab.

Then View>Select Columns, and tick CPU Usage, Memory Usage, and Peak Memory Usage are ticked (leave everything else either ticked or not ticked; whatever it was originally).

You shouldn't have more than 20-25 things in there, and there should be one called System Idle Process which is using almost all of the CPU ~90% most of the time. Nothing should be using much more than 25000K memory, peak or current.

If anything is doing anything different to that (or if you just want to) then take a screenshot and post it here, and I'll see if I can spot anything odd running. Smiley

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 01:19:02 AM »

ctrl-shift-esc brings up the start menu.

I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and and bananas.

http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUG...hug=luvr_bunnie

[img]http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/count_hugs.cgi?hug=luv
Drauka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 01:38:56 AM »

Thanks man! SS you are indeed the coolest

Signature:

I am;
A Labourless Peasant, (Damning, Rambling, Aspiring, Unenlightening, King of Anything)
A Masked Faceless, (Diabolical Reliable Assassin of the Underworld, Knowledgeable in the mimickable Arts.)
A Soldier of Sand, Deplorable and Dutiful. Rugged yet Refined. United, and Undeniable. Austere yet Amendable. Kind, and Kingly. Arduous yet Amiable.
A General of the Fallen Legion, (I led my forces into the Deep, we Ran to Assault the Undefeated Keep. Admirably my men crashed like a wave to a ship. the ground shook with our marching and caused me to slip. I fell and later I began to wake. the ground again began to shake, but this time every one fell... Into the Lord’s precipice of hell, here I am damned to forever fall into the abyss.)
A King of the Fallen Nation, (Death stalks his murky streets. Rats run rampant to their Abundant feasts. The Undead stalk the boarders at night. the King, though fallen, has yet to be defeated in a fight. No nation dares intrude upon the unrelenting king. For they fear the horrors his merciless wrath would bring. People fear to leave his nation, and also to Arrive. But his people are just as relentless and resialiant,  they strive to survive.) “The Nation of Steel Will Never Yield.
An Emperor [span style=\'color:green\']of the Anarchists
, (Dispiteous Reaper of Atrocion, Underestimated Kaiser of Ambition)
A God [span style=\'color:green\']of the Faithless[/span], (Defiance, I will never allow. Reliance, I will never allow. Assurance, I will never give. Understanding, I will never give. Killing I will never explain. Always basking, in paradox.)
I am: The Dead, The Underworld, and Death.
I am... Drauka.
[/span]

-Remorse for there is naught left to remorse for.
-We are the metaphorical whores of a new generaltion.
-Again metaphors that means people sit silent and still.
-Ah, this life is just my chessboard, and you are just my pawn.
-Feel the fucking fire rise, up and above and past your eyes.

Jason H. Fredricks'
Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 01:47:21 AM »

I do but it still feels like my computer is slower than it should be.
how about a defrag?
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 02:04:38 AM »

uh...we did that.

Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 03:35:20 AM »

deleating of unused files?  
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 04:44:28 AM »

I'm afraid to delete stuff b/c I don't know whether the compy needs it.

Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2004, 06:20:44 AM »

well game stuff that you dont use anymore is always a good start.  that stuff can take up loads.  
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 10:31:58 AM »

he's dyslexic, he means ctrl-alt-del  Wink  

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2004, 01:30:22 PM »

Thanks man! SS you are indeed the coolest
No problem. Smiley

No, Ctrl-Esc brings up the Start Menu. Ctrl-Shift-Esc brings up Task Manager

he's dyslexic, he means ctrl-alt-del
:hmmm: No I didn't. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work on some setups - it will bring up a seperate menu which then requires you to click a button to get the Task Manager. Ctrl-Shift-Esc works on all NT-based OSs, which includes XP.

You are using Windows XP under?

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2004, 02:44:47 PM »

My Firefox has a peak of 50k and is usually around 26k, is this a bad thing?

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004, 02:53:16 PM »

Considering it's supposed to be less resource-intensive than IE, of which mine is usually around 25,000K and the current peak is ~38,972K, then yes that's a bad thing.

FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2004, 03:01:18 PM »

:hmmm: No I didn't. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work on some setups - it will bring up a seperate menu which then requires you to click a button to get the Task Manager. Ctrl-Shift-Esc works on all NT-based OSs, which includes XP.
like what? I've never had that problem......  <_<  

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »

Like the ones at UH for starters. Other places too.

The point is that Ctrl-Shift-Esc (should) always works, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't. Tongue

FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 03:06:58 PM »

bah, describe--I've never seen a system except a mac where ctrl alt del doesn't bring up the task manager. mebbe uh just disabled em.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: