BPsite Forums
May 01, 2024, 10:29:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrier Wallpaper  (Read 13174 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2003, 12:32:39 AM »

There was a thread about aircraft on another forum. It inspired me to do this:

http://www.hybridchill.com/misc/HarrierPreview.jpg

That's a low-quality 800x600 JPG version, if anyone is interested I can do any resolution upto 1600x1200, though that is half a meg at full quality.

Comments/Suggestions/Mutterings?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 12:27:42 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 12:36:28 AM »

*harriers are crap*

but anyways...nice wallpaper  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 12:36:41 AM by Everous » Logged
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 12:39:43 AM »

I agree, give me a Fokker Eindecker any day. Cheesy

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 01:40:27 AM »

i prefer the thing that flies and makes other things that fly go boom boom.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 04:43:48 AM »

Its so boring!

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 08:38:09 AM »

Pffft, make one of a decent aircraft.... For all the Americans faults *Dodges lynch mob*, they can make good combat planes.... F22 Raptor anyone?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 09:59:33 AM »

i prefer the thing that flies and makes other things that fly go boom boom.
:blink:

You mean an air-air missile?

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 10:02:25 AM »

Pffft, make one of a decent aircraft.... For all the Americans faults *Dodges lynch mob*, they can make good combat planes.... F22 Raptor anyone?
:angry: Harriers are decent aircraft.

I don't see any US planes that can hover. Tongue

Anyhow, if I can find a good Raptor then I'll do one for that, unless someone can think of a more interesting aircraft/object to do?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 10:02:46 AM by SS » Logged

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 10:34:14 AM »

I don't see any US planes that can hover.

F23 Joint Strike Fighter. You suck.
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 10:44:59 AM »

raptors are crap...*dodges flying tomatoes* no seriously...they are
the "stealth" shape makes it harder to fly than a normal fighter...plus it ain't stealthy (hell the B2 ain't even stealthy...if they used it against a half decent country like Russia who actually can shoot it down when they detect it, it'll be gone in 20 seconds)...and anything detracting from agility for a fighter is a big no no...not to mention the internal weapons bays create a whole lot of drag, again, making it slightly more unstable to fly

plus it can carry a limited payload, the way the weapons are laid out, theres no way it can carry the same ammount of weaponry as an F14 for example...and i thought this was meant to be a fighter-bomber...besides, Western AAMs are outclassed in every sense by their Russian counterparts...indeed the "adder" can launch 6km ahead of the western counterpart in its class (the AMRAAM)...effectively blowing the enemy out of the air before he gets a chance to attack

western bombs are good though...useful...for blowing up those Iraqi civilians  <_<
though as i said, due to the "stealth" layout which dosen't work...the F22 can't carry many of these

not to mention the huge production costs, lengthly time taken by every F22...you can get a lot more bang for your buck if you went with...well...virtually everything else  :rolleyes:

I don't see any US planes that can hover.  Tongue

joint strike fighter anyone?...not to say that isn't crap as well  Tongue  *modified F22 design*
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 11:23:42 AM »

JSF is a combined US/UK effort. Tongue

-

Ev, please tell me that's not all from your head. :unsure:

-

Anyhow, I think I want to do a WWII plane next... suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 11:26:41 AM by SS » Logged

Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 11:55:47 AM »

i used to be er...kinda into planes?  Shocked

i'm not so familiar with WW2 planes...do whichever one looks good, there weren't such huge differences in performance in those days...
mole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 12:01:22 PM »

Harriers are decent aircraft

ill back that one seeing as though its a British plane bought by the Americans

WWII? hurricane? meschersmitt? a nice pic of a B52 flying fortress wudnt go amiss  

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 12:20:37 PM »

Nah, those are all too common. Tongue

I want something that I can have at a decent angle - like a Stuka or a Swordfish on a bombing run.

A Lancaster coming head-on with some nice lighting behind might be cool though...

Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 12:21:39 PM »

the americans buy everything and anything  :rolleyes:

they deployed it as support aircraft on their short carriers, and because the harrier can't go supersonic, they made it into a tank buster...basicly they just bought it to fill up space on their carriers...because there was nothing else to buy

plus there are serious problems with the harrier's much vaunted vertical takeoff system...the hot air from the nozzles may bounce off the ground and be sucked back into the engines...meanging the hot air dosen't just blow away...meaning a patch of really low air pressure...meaning that plane's gonna crash 'n burn

a problem remedied in the JSF by the inclusion of a vertical lift fan...this blasts cool air downwards, causing a barrier of sorts between the hot air from the nozzle and the air intake...

and the JSF was hardly designed by the british...its basicly a modified F22...there was a boeing entry into the "JSF competition" (which is the plane shown on most JSF posters)...but it got beat by the superior experience and reputation of Lockheed Martin Skunk Works
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: