BPsite Forums
April 18, 2024, 01:16:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Story  (Read 6452 times)
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2005, 05:20:17 AM »

In our AP English class we are required to participate in a local essay writing contest for a grade.  this month we have to write a short story based on a culture different from our own.  I've started on a story about a gang member in Chicago trying to change, and here's what I've got so far, more to come.  Feel free to comment however you like, but I'd appreciate honesty, because I want to make it better. Smiley

Breaking the Habit

There was nothing that he could do to help her.  All that Anthony Declasse could do now was watch as his girlfriend of the past year collapsed on the floor of his apartment, a bullet hole in her head.  In the back of his mind, he heard the echo of the gunshot rumble in the distance and the screeching of tires as the Pits got away.  He had seen things like this before, he had even been a part of the other side of the deal in the past, but this was an entirely new experience.  He had no clue what to say, or even think.  He had never in his wildest dreams expected himself to be the “unlucky one” although, to be honest, that was his life. 
   Anthony was born on the West Side of Chicago, from an accidental pregnancy of a gang leader and one of his dealers.  They kept him, but that’s all they did.  He spent much of his childhood crying, and more often than not he simply received a slap or two for it.  When the gang was broken up, he was adopted at the age of six by a couple out in the suburbs.  What would seem to become a lucky break for Anthony turned into more fuel for the fire when the father turned to alcohol after losing his job.  He became abusive, and beat his wife and step-son often.  His mother died when he was 12, and around that time he began experimenting with drugs.  He was easily hooked, and eventually it took over his life.  He got hooked up with the Vipers, a gang of the city, from a fellow druggy, and quickly became a full time member.  Within the gang, he felt the one sense of belonging that he still had in his life, a sense that he was part of something special.  It was this brotherhood that, along with his girlfriend, kept him going.  Violence was commonplace in his life, although, despite this, he felt untouchable when he was with his homies.
   “Daddy, what happened?” said a voice from under the sink.  His daughter, Charity, had dared to peek out of the cabinet.  He eventually came out, and timidly walked over to his mother.  “What’s wrong with Mommy?” she asked, when she shook her and her head fell forward.  Anthony didn’t know what to say, he was still numb from the shock.  He heard his daughter begin to cry, and, suddenly, he fell back on the ragged sofa that was the one piece of furniture in the apartment.  Charity soon climbed up and curled up on his lab, head against his shoulder, sobbing.  Nobody came to them:  they were all alone.
   He didn’t move an inch for the next two days, all he did was think.  He realized that his life wasn’t all that he thought it was cracked up to be, and saw - perhaps for the first time - how sickly Charity looked.  The absence of his brothers that made up the gang disturbed him; he saw that that wasn’t the type of family he wanted.  Then, a simple, scary idea came to him:  he could change.  Yes, he could leave the gang, try to start things over.  But that was crazy, he could never do that.  He would be betraying his gang, and not only did that bug him spiritually, but the thought of the whole gang against him scared him beyond belief.  And he hadn’t been alone in the world for so long, he felt as if he would break in two.  He decided to take a step out into town, and think it over. 
   He was out in the business district of the neighborhood, although most of the legitimate business in those parts consisted of bars and small corner stores.  He was waiting at a corner to cross when he glanced at the telephone pole next to him, and a slightly torn flyer on the pole caught his eye:

St. Jude Rehabilitation Center
A confidential, non-profit organization dedicated to helping those in dire situations back into society.  No cost to the customer, please call 1-800-432-5464 for an anonymous conference with one of our advisors.

For the second time that day, the same message had entered his mind, but this time, it seemed to make a bit more sense.  He liked the fact that it was confidential, so he wouldn’t have to give out his name to be intercepted by gang members.  Along with that, he had never heard of the place before, even from his trips to the police station, which made it even more hidden seeming.  He thought that he would give it a try, for the very least, for Charity.  He took down the number and found a quarter off the street to make the phone call.  After a short conversation with the operator, he found that there was a class starting two days from then, and signed himself up on the spot. 
On the night of the class Anthony was stiff as a board with anxiety.  He was again doubting that he should go to this, fearing that he would be seen, or perhaps recognized by someone else at the class.  In the end, though, he got control of himself, and decided to cover up in an old trench coat and a hat that he had mugged off of someone a few years back.  He slipped on his shoes, and left out the door. Despite his measures to disguise himself, he was still very much so in a paranoid state of mind.  He'd jump at the sound of a car, and stare so intently at the ground when he passed by person that passerby would stop and look down for a minute to try to see what he was looking at.  He was two blocks away from the place when he heard something that he'd been dreading to hear the whole night. 
"Yo, 'Tony D, where you goin'?  The raid's tonight!" said a voice from behind him.  Anthony whipped around to face Trucco, one of the bigger, more prominent members of the gang.  "I ain't goin', I got stuff to do," Anthony replied, his hands were shaking.  "What the hell you talkin' 'bout, man?  We gotta get back at the Pits fo' what they did to yo' girl."  Anthony stood stiff for a minute, unsure of what to do or say.  From the corner of his mind, he thought that he could just lie to Trucco, saying that he had to get something first, to get him off his case, but the something bolder came to him.  "I don't care anymore, man, ya know what?  I ain't a part of this anymore, man, I'm out."  Suddenly he was slammed against the wall, and Trucco said "I don't care what you thinkin', man, but you no' nobody ain't gon' leave the Vipers, you know what I'm sayin', man?" 
He then hear a loud thud, and Trucco collapsed.  Now in front of him stood a young boy who looked like he was coming from a baseball practice.  "Are...you ok?" he said, unsure of exactly what to say, as Anthony was a rather intimidating figure himself.  "Yeah...I'm cool, man... thanks."  Anthony replied, also unsure of how to react to this stranger.  After a couple minutes, Anthony turned away and started walking again, with new confidence in his plan.  He'd had enough with this "you strike me, I strike you back" business, and he just wanted out of it, for his and Charity's sake. 
He had reached the building by now, which, from the outside, looked a lot like small, run down warehouse building.  He went in, and walked down the hallway that led to the only door he could see.  He entered through the door, and saw a group of people gathered in a circle.  He had expected to see some familliar faces, but what hit his eyes was odder than that.  In front of him he saw about 20 ex gang members that he knew from various gangs across the city, but they were all in collar shirts and slacks, waving and even smiling at him!  "Hello" said a man who looked like he ran the program.  "I'm Tom Guar, welcome to your new life"

some notes:

Declasse (with accents over the e's) means "given lower social status."  found that out on accident, and decided to use it.

St. Jude is the patron saint of dire situations

when you put the phone number into letters, it spells out "healing"

Trucco means "trick" in italian.

Guar means "heal" in italian
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 07:32:10 PM by matt_the_shark » Logged

Godfather

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 05:32:31 AM »

I never really liked English... so I am not too good at this. Galmort is the super grammar guy.

But hmm.. I really like how you played those things into the story. The only thing I could offer would be that during the sentence

"He had seen things like this before, he had even been a part of the other side of the deal in the past, but it had never happened to him before."

Maybe use a different word than before at the end? To me it sounded repetitive. Not a big change, but overall I thought it was very, very good. Good luck in the contest.

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »

yeah, i agree with you on that sentence, that was really awkward to write, too.  I just spent a few minutes thinking about it and got it fixed Cheesy

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 04:57:25 PM »

few things, though i didn't look too intensly...if thats a word.

not sure but isn't 'druggie' actually druggy? - looked it up, both work

from the gang there existed? possibly 'within the gang'? or 'from being in the gang' and scratch out there.

"it was that brotherhoood that" doesn't sound exactly right, i see the sense in it obviously but maybe try to change one of the thats?

"He saw violence every day, and took it as a simple fact of life that he was safe with his homies, until that day." if you actually mean the fact of life is that he is safe with his homies than its all good, but i read it as violence was a simple fact of life, and in my opinion that would sound better. 'he saw violence every day and thought it a simple fact of life. until that day, he had a sense of invulnerability in being with his gang.' kinda a big change, just throwing some quick things out there. use it in whatever way you like, or just tell me to shut the fuck up Tongue

"After a short conversation with the operator, he found that there a class starting two days from then, and signed himself up on the spot. "
you left something out between there and a class. easy fix would be 'was', but i suggest 'would be'

good writing though, i like it for a quick right, should do well in the contest, hope you do.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 06:38:28 PM by Galmort » Logged
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »

few things, though i didn't look too intensly...if thats a word.

not sure but isn't 'druggie' actually druggy? - looked it up, both work

from the gang there existed? possibly 'within the gang'? or 'from being in the gang' and scratch out there.

"it was that brotherhoood that" doesn't sound exactly right, i see the sense in it obviously but maybe try to change one of the thats?

"He saw violence every day, and took it as a simple fact of life that he was safe with his homies, until that day." if you actually mean the fact of life is that he is safe with his homies than its all good, but i read it as violence was a simple fact of life, and in my opinion that would sound better. 'he saw violence every day and thought it a simple fact of life. until that day, he had a sense of invulnerability in being with his gang.' kinda a big change, just throwing some quick things out there. use it in whatever way you like, or just tell me to shut the fuck up Tongue

"After a short conversation with the operator, he found that there a class starting two days from then, and signed himself up on the spot. "
you left something out between there and a class. easy fix would be 'was', but i suggest 'would be'

good writing though, i like it for a quick right, should do well in the contest, hope you do.
hey, you picked up some good points there, gal, thanks.  alright, here's the changes:

hmm, for some reason, spell checker accepted both druggie and druggy, dunno why...fixed it though, I like druggy better

I like "within the gang," I'll use that

bah, damn me and my repeating words.  replaced the first "that" with "this"

The whole violence/accepting thing:  changed that up, I think it's better now.

How the hell did I forget to put "was" in there?  oh well, fixed.

thanks for the critique, I'm almost done with it now, unfortunately I have to cut the ending a little short because it was supposed to be 500 words or less...looks more like it's gonna be 1000 to 1500 now :/

EDIT:  DONE!!! Cheesy

I know, the baseball boy is crap, and the ending is pretty craptastic as well, but I've got the weekend to work on it, so for now I'm gonna work on one of the other essays that I have to do Sad
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 07:36:19 PM by matt_the_shark » Logged

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:33:07 AM »

glad to be able to help.

put a D on the end of hear, and it looks like A warehouse right?
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 05:34:47 AM »

Your sentences seem to simplistic, and I think that got in the way of it flowing for me.  And lots of pronouns.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 05:35:22 AM by underruler » Logged

I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and and bananas.

http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUG...hug=luvr_bunnie

[img]http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/count_hugs.cgi?hug=luv
Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:12:08 AM »

anything ever come of this sharky? hope you fared well in the contest Smiley  
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 02:50:35 AM »

well, I didn't win, but the teacher gave me a 95 for it, and I've decided to work on it a bit more and eventually submit it to the school's literary publication.  I was really restricted by time and word limit, and now I'm not, so I'm happy Smiley

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 03:11:48 AM »

well , well done on the score Wink  
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 04:54:23 AM »

hehe, at least I did something right Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: