BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 01:07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Gmail  (Read 16253 times)
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 02:48:27 PM »

fullcookiejar@hotmail.com

Could do with an email account that can store that much space. :|

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 01:42:12 PM »

good ol google once again...

why you have to get inviteD?

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 02:23:39 PM »

why you have to get inviteD?
To make people think it's special, and thus increase the number of people using it.

ie: It's just a clever marketing scheme.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »

It *is* that good, however.

Like everyone else, I could do with some uber storage, auron(at)bpsite.co.uk.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 04:19:33 PM »

Is it? :/

I'm a bit cynical because... I don't really know why, but I'm sure I've got a good reason somewhere in my head. :miffed:

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 04:26:45 PM »

1 gig of storage.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »

And you think you'll ever use more than 25% of that?

Besides, Yahoo gives me 2GB. Tongue
(well, they will after I shout at them)[/size]

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 04:50:37 PM »

Dude, the choice between free 2mg storage, and free 1gb storage is... not a choice?

I get emailed large files (NWN modules, 500 page a4 books...) on a regular basis. I need the space.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:51:30 PM by Rug » Logged
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 04:55:18 PM »

Meh, fair enough. But free acounts now get 100MB with Yahoo!

RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 05:56:30 PM »

Wow, it doesnt work. Smiley
If I ever log on and get invites I'll send some out, but until then, I'll try and get the page to load.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 02:12:17 PM »

Stop, the lot of you!  I quothe the Fragster: "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect".  I advise all of you not to trust Gmail with anything that hasn't been encrypted to at least PGP level.  The adverts aren't the problem, heck, they're the least of your worries.

I doubt any of you read the Watch network?  The relevant ones here are www.google-watch.org, and http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com.  Then consult www.echelonwatch.org, do a bit of maths, and stick with Hotmail.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 02:13:57 PM by Hornet » Logged

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 02:30:12 PM »

Hmm, maybe that is what's causing my unease...

Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2004, 02:32:17 PM »

wow, echelonwatch dosen't actually work. Heres the thing though:

[li] No matter what system you use, every email you send has at least 3 copies made every time you send it (your PC, mail server, recieving server). Google's storage of messages is nothing new.

[li] All spam filters scan the messages sent for words that indicate that this is spam. Which means all email accounts that offer spam protection does this. Which means Hotmail and Yahoo does it too. Google scanning for words so they can insert adverts isn't any more unsafe than your other email providers. Which actually is quite safe because its completely automated.

[li] The PR policies concerning Microsoft's former/present services are hardly much better, chopping it down to the bare minimum of the law. "Use, duplication, or disclosure by the U.S. Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph ©(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013 or subparagraphs ©(1) and (2) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable." Gmail's recent cases concern their use of Ads, not PR policy. Now, Gmail isn't about to break the law. Which means that Hotmail and Gmail operates with the same guidelines. Dunno about Yahoo...

[li] Google is very clear about their security policy. They're very about how ads are inserted and about archiving. If you don't like to keep all your messages because you feel some Government freak can read it (which as i explained above, is no more likely than with any other email provider), thats fine. But at least with Gmail you have the option to.

Gmail is clear about what they offer. If it turns out that this is not what people want, then it'll just go bust. But at least theres the choice, and thats all you can ask really.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 02:39:30 PM »

wow, echelonwatch dosen't actually work.
It's back up now.

diskreet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2004, 07:04:16 PM »

just don't ever think you have any privacy.  you don't.  none at all.  especially not with google.

might upon might.
strength upon strength.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: