BPsite Forums
April 28, 2024, 11:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the differnce?  (Read 4845 times)
Drauka

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2004, 09:40:28 AM »

Audio...
What is the differnce between MP2, MP3, Wav, ect?
Which one has the better sound quality, vs size, ect.

Video...
What is the differnce between Wmv, Mpg, Mpeg, Avi, ect.?

And while were at it...
Jpg, Jpeg, Bmp, Btmp, gif, etc.

Thanks! :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Signature:

I am;
A Labourless Peasant, (Damning, Rambling, Aspiring, Unenlightening, King of Anything)
A Masked Faceless, (Diabolical Reliable Assassin of the Underworld, Knowledgeable in the mimickable Arts.)
A Soldier of Sand, Deplorable and Dutiful. Rugged yet Refined. United, and Undeniable. Austere yet Amendable. Kind, and Kingly. Arduous yet Amiable.
A General of the Fallen Legion, (I led my forces into the Deep, we Ran to Assault the Undefeated Keep. Admirably my men crashed like a wave to a ship. the ground shook with our marching and caused me to slip. I fell and later I began to wake. the ground again began to shake, but this time every one fell... Into the Lord’s precipice of hell, here I am damned to forever fall into the abyss.)
A King of the Fallen Nation, (Death stalks his murky streets. Rats run rampant to their Abundant feasts. The Undead stalk the boarders at night. the King, though fallen, has yet to be defeated in a fight. No nation dares intrude upon the unrelenting king. For they fear the horrors his merciless wrath would bring. People fear to leave his nation, and also to Arrive. But his people are just as relentless and resialiant,  they strive to survive.) “The Nation of Steel Will Never Yield.
An Emperor [span style=\'color:green\']of the Anarchists
, (Dispiteous Reaper of Atrocion, Underestimated Kaiser of Ambition)
A God [span style=\'color:green\']of the Faithless[/span], (Defiance, I will never allow. Reliance, I will never allow. Assurance, I will never give. Understanding, I will never give. Killing I will never explain. Always basking, in paradox.)
I am: The Dead, The Underworld, and Death.
I am... Drauka.
[/span]

-Remorse for there is naught left to remorse for.
-We are the metaphorical whores of a new generaltion.
-Again metaphors that means people sit silent and still.
-Ah, this life is just my chessboard, and you are just my pawn.
-Feel the fucking fire rise, up and above and past your eyes.

Jason H. Fredricks'
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 04:16:26 PM »

Okay.

WMV = Windows Media Video.
WMA = Windows Media Audio.
PNG = Portable Network Graphic. (Images)
OGG = Ogg Vorbis. Audio format.
MPG=MPEG = Moving Pictures Expert Group. Video format with multiple layers, MP3 being the audio layer.
MP3 = MPEG layer 3. Audio format.
JPG=JPEG = Joint Photographic Experts Group (Images)
GIF = CompuServe Graphics Interchange Format. (Images)
BTMP = WTF!?
BMP = Bitmap. (Images)
AVI = Video format.

WAV, BMP & AVI = base raster formats for sound, image, video.
WMA, OGG, MP3 = three different compressed sound formats. Less quality than WAV, but not by much and their filesize is much much smaller. OGG is most efficient, but least supported. WMA is next most efficient, and supported well. MP3 is least efficient, but near enough complete support.
PNG,JPG,GIF = three different compressed image formats. Usually (but not always; they can be equal) lower quality than BMP, but with a much smaller filesize. Always use PNG or JPG.
WMV,MPG = different compressed video formats. Lower quality than AVI, but also lower filesize.

Just a note about PNGs - they are very useful:
If you're considering using a GIF, don't. Use an 8-bit PNG.
If you're considering using a BMP, don't. Use a 24-bit PNG.

Any more questions? Tongue
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:17:28 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:43:31 PM »

GIFs can also be used to make clips?

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 04:52:14 PM »

GIFs can be animated, yes, but they can't include sound.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 05:03:50 PM »

can PNG's?

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 05:06:40 PM »

Yes, but then it's an MNG.

Drauka

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 10:39:05 PM »

Cool thanks. So with a slow connection mpg's are the best download if its a long movie?

Signature:

I am;
A Labourless Peasant, (Damning, Rambling, Aspiring, Unenlightening, King of Anything)
A Masked Faceless, (Diabolical Reliable Assassin of the Underworld, Knowledgeable in the mimickable Arts.)
A Soldier of Sand, Deplorable and Dutiful. Rugged yet Refined. United, and Undeniable. Austere yet Amendable. Kind, and Kingly. Arduous yet Amiable.
A General of the Fallen Legion, (I led my forces into the Deep, we Ran to Assault the Undefeated Keep. Admirably my men crashed like a wave to a ship. the ground shook with our marching and caused me to slip. I fell and later I began to wake. the ground again began to shake, but this time every one fell... Into the Lord’s precipice of hell, here I am damned to forever fall into the abyss.)
A King of the Fallen Nation, (Death stalks his murky streets. Rats run rampant to their Abundant feasts. The Undead stalk the boarders at night. the King, though fallen, has yet to be defeated in a fight. No nation dares intrude upon the unrelenting king. For they fear the horrors his merciless wrath would bring. People fear to leave his nation, and also to Arrive. But his people are just as relentless and resialiant,  they strive to survive.) “The Nation of Steel Will Never Yield.
An Emperor [span style=\'color:green\']of the Anarchists
, (Dispiteous Reaper of Atrocion, Underestimated Kaiser of Ambition)
A God [span style=\'color:green\']of the Faithless[/span], (Defiance, I will never allow. Reliance, I will never allow. Assurance, I will never give. Understanding, I will never give. Killing I will never explain. Always basking, in paradox.)
I am: The Dead, The Underworld, and Death.
I am... Drauka.
[/span]

-Remorse for there is naught left to remorse for.
-We are the metaphorical whores of a new generaltion.
-Again metaphors that means people sit silent and still.
-Ah, this life is just my chessboard, and you are just my pawn.
-Feel the fucking fire rise, up and above and past your eyes.

Jason H. Fredricks'
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:47:39 PM »

Well WM9 has cool streaming, so it might not make a difference if you're watching it straight away.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: