BPsite Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:49:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Upgrade  (Read 5638 times)
smi256

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2016, 11:05:37 PM »

My 9.5 year old computer finally gave up the ghost.  Either the RAM or the the memory controller has been going out for a few years.  I was down to stock speeds, Core2 2.4GHz CPU and DDR2 800MHz RAM. 
I'm now running a new trifecta of new current gen CPU, mainboard and RAM Smiley feels soo good Smiley

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »

My main machine is six years old and still hanging in there. Hope it survives more than another three!

It's only a Core i7 2.8GHz (1st/2nd gen), but it's been upgraded to 12GB of DDR3 which requires quite an effort to use up. (Unlike on my work machine which only has 8GB and is a constant chore to keep below 7GB used!)

I do also have a Skylake i3 system with 16GB that I've been (slowly) getting setup with Arch Linux, which I'll use for development work once it's ready.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:07:31 AM »

The old machine had 8GB RAM and had been a bottle neck.  I'm apparently computer abusive.  I was having more and more trouble with things as simple as playing youtube videos (maxing out the CPU), flash, HMTL5, didn't seem to matter.  There were a few other problems, like not supporting newer SATA with TRIM, so the SSD upgrade I made a while back was somewhat stinted (still great, just not 100%).  The onboard audio card wasn't really working so well, it kept picking up cellphone interference.  Just an assortment of little, non-deal-breakers... until the near monthly, to weekly, then daily crashes really forced my hand.
I happened to catch and really good deal and went from the 16GB RAM kit I was looking at to 32GB for a ~$15 premium.  Very lucky.  I'm still on 17GB used right now... (I have problems, I'm working on it)

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:26:14 AM »

Hah, I remember when you could tell a text message was about to arrive because speakers would make a noise! Cheesy

I have external audio because the headphone jack broke and muted the internal audio - still was a long time of wiggling it just so to get a connection until I finally got it.

My next upgrade will probably be a new mouse - my Logitech G500s has started dropping connection momentarily then reverting to a different profile, and it's getting frequent enough to be a nuisance.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »

I have the same mouse and I have my preferred DPS recorded because it gets wiped every now and again.

*was here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: