BPsite Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What book should I read next?  (Read 20334 times)
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »

just like it says

I have become Death; destroyer of worlds.
--J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the explosion of the first atomic bomb
[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

Finished the Northern Lights / Amber Spyglass... couldn't leave it after just one book, but the third one was definitely very... I can't think what the right word is. Dissappointing I guess - could've been stronger if the crap had been cut out and the battle scenes made more substantial.

Was going to do the Sword of Truth series next, but I think I'll take a minor detour via one of the Riftwar standalones (Legends/Jimmy the Hand) before going on to that.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 05:28:56 AM »

Thanks everyone for the input. Smiley

I have decided to.... make you wait until the end of the post before saying what I've decided. Tongue

It does. I actually started reading it on the strength of the 6/7th book, and I liked the first handful of books, but...

Yeah, the series starts all nice and fantasy and stuff, but the recent ones have been a lot more... I dunno what the right word is. It seems to me that he's writing to spread his particular [political] viewpoint, and I vaguely remember quotes by him that back that up. Which is part of why I haven't already started on these; I like to enjoy reading, not feel like some huge ego is lecturing me. :mellow:

Firstly, I'm having to use Firebug to get at the submit buttons, somehow the </textarea> tag's being treated as part of the quote box.  ETA: it all seems fine now, so no idea what caused that. :blink:

And secondly, you've had your year, about 1/85th of your life, and you're not even half way through your list. Tongue  Not good enough at all.

This is somewhat deja vu-ish, but have you read the Dark Tower series?  If not go forth and do so, preferably within a year.  :hehe:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:30:09 AM by Hornet » Logged

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »

Dark Tower? Sounds vaguely familiar, but I certainly haven't read it. Who's the author?

I think you quoted the wrong post there, but yeah, I've been really slow due to my buggered up sleeping pattern which I can't manage to fix, and thus I often go to bed too late and don't read, or I fall asleep whilst I'm doing so. Sad

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »

Okay, I'm going to go for Daughter of the Empire first, and read that trilogy, and then after that I'll do the Northern Lights and see if I want to go to the end of that, and then I'll go back to the Sword of Truth series, and then after that I might finish off the Dune set, and by the end of that I wont have remembered what I might decide next anyway, so I wont decide until I get there (which'll probably take me the best part of a year). :alien:

That's what I was after, and it's still playing up.  Try quoting the post in question and you'll see what I mean.

It's by Stephen King. Tongue  Nothing like his usual stuff either.

My sleeping pattern's gone a bit mad lately, too.  Sad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:02:07 AM by Hornet » Logged

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
mole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »

and me.  

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »

Oh yeah, that's a crappy Invision bug that sometimes when you try quoting long posts with quotes in.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:05 PM »

Was going to do the Sword of Truth series next, but I think I'll take a minor detour via one of the Riftwar standalones (Legends/Jimmy the Hand) before going on to that.
Heh, so the detour got enlarged a bit, because I decided the other day I wanted to read Priestess of the White, simply because I know I'll enjoy it.

I was a tad disappointed with Jimmy the Hand, because for a book supposedly focussing on him, the core story didn't really have thievery and rogueness and stuff, and I was waiting for twists and didn't get anything.
Don't think it helped that a relatively small book took me a month to get through, but I don't recall a large number of times when I thought "I really want to find out what happens next" with that, which I usually do get.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: