BPsite Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: -?-  (Read 6856 times)
Hornet

View Profile WWW
-?-
« on: September 17, 2006, 04:44:35 AM »

Here's an interesting one.  A local radio station runs a competition whereby people have to answer a trivia question, and then set one of their own.  The winner is the person who has an unanswered question at the end of the show, and various prizes are provided.  Typically, I can find the answer to a question within a minute; usually much less.  

If I were to ring in near the end, then I'd only need a question that could last for a few minutes.  But as of yet I can't think of a question that can't be solved using the same method (fast typing and salient Google searches).

Examples of past questions include finding the name of a male ferret (a jill).  Another was to find a word that had three consecutive pairs of letters (bookkeeper, or even subbookkeeper for four pairs).

I think the best approach is to find a question that's misleading, so that if someone were to google it, they wouldn't find much - for example, asking someone to name the type of gun used in a certain assassination, when in actuality a pistol was used (as any article able to identify the weapon would refer to it correctly).

Or, ask something that a lot of people would think they know the answer to, but actually they don't, so the studio's phone lines will be swamped by people who have the wrong answer, thus preventing those who do from connecting.  Currently, the only one of this type that I can think of is 'which animal can survive without water for the longest duration?' which sounds rather awkwardly phrased, and the 'answer' is so commonly known that people would realise that it wouldn't be that obvious.  Common rats can survive without water for longer than camels can, but the answer is the kangaroo rat. (And that is a very strange URL. :blink: )

*draws breath*

Anyway.  Can anyone think of any suitable questions?  Smiley

[Edit:]
Apparently the invisible space character is converted into the HTML code by Invision, so please pardon the highly unusual name.  :miffed: [/Edit]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 04:48:09 AM by Hornet » Logged

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
Rug

View Profile
-?-
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »

Fixed your topic.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »

Can anyone think of any suitable questions?
What's wrong with the Kangaroo Rat one?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 09:23:21 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »

It can be found very rapidly indeed via Google. Sad

mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:25:12 AM »

can you have riddles?

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Hornet

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:35:41 AM »

That's occurred to me as well.  I wouldn't have thought so, but it might be worth a try; if they won't accept it then I can always revert to a normal question.  But that requires both a good riddle and a strong question.

Rug

View Profile
-?-
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 02:16:39 AM »

Riddles are a minefield of wrong answers; one of the things you said you were looking for. Even a poor one will draw out a fair amount of idiots.

Assuming you don't live in a super-smart area, anyway =p.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:24 AM »

True, that.  But they might not accept a riddle as a question, so I need a decent back-up one on standby.  I'm currently trying to find one based around common misconceptions (again, via Google searches), as the 'flood-their-phonelines' option seems the best bet.

ns33

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 08:10:32 PM »

erm sorry, wrong post
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:10:53 PM by ns33 » Logged
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

how about finding something involving a long, obscure word that's difficult to spell so that they can't just google it because they'd have to spell it right first?  It'd have to be something obscure so that the google spell check doesn't pick it up, but it seems to be worth a try.

Louise

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 06:25:09 PM »

Eep, wrong topic.  :sheep:  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:26:00 PM by Louise » Logged

If my lack of signature worries you, please feel free to imagine it as saying some amusing, pleasantly witty and intelligent phrase.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
-?-
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 05:13:18 AM »

Thanks, but I've thought of that. Sad  Either Google'll correct them, or they'll find results containing misspellings that other people have made of the same word, which would put them on the right track.  Or more mundanely, they'd realise that it'd be hard to spell, and use a dictionary.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: