BPsite Forums
April 27, 2024, 07:01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 27424 times)
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:44:16 PM »

A topic for discussion of hobbies.  Everyone ought to have one, so what's yours?  Or are you thinking of taking up a new one, and if so, what?

I have a few different ones, and I tend to flit between them frequently.  Currently, I'm making a variety of rat toys, earrings (surprisingly fun, and very fiddly), and even small amounts of chainmail (which is very intensive work).  I'm also thinking of making more minature siege engines soon, along with model weapons, as I've recently aquired some new tools that'll help considerably.

As a long term ambition - as soon as I can find a decent piece of wood - I'm hoping to make a recurve bow, although that's not really a hobby as such, as once it's been shaped it needs to be left for a few months.  But that'll be a lot of fun when 'tis made.

I probably ought to take some photos, actually ... and I also need to make a website to put them on (I've been meaning to make myself a site for ages).  It'd be interesting to hear other's thoughts on them.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

You should post pictures - medieval weaponry is fun. Cheesy

My current main hobby (aside from the computery stuff) is photography.
I'll post some of my recent photos either tomorrow or friday.

I'm also thinking of starting Tai Chi... not sure on that yet though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:51:51 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:21:18 PM »

Indeed, although I'm not sure when I'll make them, as I haven't got any square dowelling here yet.  I'm planning to go into town tomorrow though, so I might be able to get some then.

I do a fair bit of that, too - I took some photos of a very strange flower a few days ago.  I've absolutely no idea what it is.  I'll have to upload it and see if anyone knows.

I have a friend who does Tai Chi.  Apparently it can be sped up and used in self defence.  Either that or they'll be too busy laughing to try to attack you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:19:54 PM by Hornet » Logged

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:13:11 PM »

For the past six years, it's been swimming.  Until yesterday, I planned on doing it in college.  Yesterday, I was terribly disappointed.  I'm considering trying crew now.

Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:23 PM »

This would beg the question of what happened yesterday...?  It must have been something rather dire.  :miffed:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:57:11 PM by Hornet » Logged

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:02:06 AM »

wow sharky, i'm sorry man.

I play frisbee. :hmmm:

otherwise, i love photography, but don't have enough confidence to whip out my camera all the time Tongue
i'm in school soccer but its kind of gay, i don't feel like explaining cause i complain too much

i love driving as well

and listening to music, but who doesn't, right?

i wish i had some unique hobby like...spelunking or something. something crazy you know. but meh
I've always wanted to try skydiving or something...fairly certain i'd never have the balls to do it though Tongue

and lastly, i do enjoy reading. although, i haven't done much of it of late <_<

i also like to ramble on ^^ as said by led zeppelin
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »

My hobby is music.
Learning the piano, play the guitar and drums.
Also enjoy listening to it. Smiley
I also like playing badminton, but haven't played it for ages, should get back into it I spose.
Nothing remotely exciting though...

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »

sadly most of my hobbies have dropped for the summer, i rarely get to go rock climbing anymore which is sad, but to be fair most of the times i plan to go i end up hung over or working early to go to a party.
still play my bass which is always fun.
motorbikes is another though mine is still at the garage.
and next month i plan on taking up rowing to keep me fit during uni

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »

My hobby is music.
Learning the piano, play the guitar and drums.
Also enjoy listening to it. Smiley
I also like playing badminton, but haven't played it for ages, should get back into it I spose.
Nothing remotely exciting though...
I also play the piano (well, keyboard), although I seem to have some kind of biological aversion to reading music, so I end up memorising the tunes and playing them from memory.  'Tis useful in that if I encounter a piano on my travels, I can immediately set up shop, but it's annoying when you get to the end of a tune, and find that you can't quite remember how the thing ends.  On a related note, I obtained a load of Final Fantasy VII music the other day, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with that.

still play my bass which is always fun.
When I first read that, I thought you meant as in the fish.  :blink:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:57:06 PM by Hornet » Logged

Louise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:06 PM »

Wheee, fish!  Cheesy  I used to have a tank with a few fish in it. They were fun - you could watch them swimming round, and round, and round... (it's even fun when you're sober.)

I'd love to take up spelunking, just because it has such a cool name. The actual activity sounds good as well. And it'd look great on university applications for both reasons.

As for what I do do: I used to cross stitch, although it takes more patience than I usually have, so I haven't done it for a while. I sporadically write, have been published a couple of times, but don't put enough work into it to make any progress or get anything else sent out. I also sometimes contribute critiques to writing websites. I spend a good deal of time on the internet and playing computer games. Also walk and swim to some degree. Oh, and reading. I read stuff a lot. I even read the backs of packets when left with them for too many seconds.  <_<

Cross stitch Piglet in a barrel.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:59:04 PM by Louise » Logged

If my lack of signature worries you, please feel free to imagine it as saying some amusing, pleasantly witty and intelligent phrase.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »

I have a friend who does Tai Chi.  Apparently it can be sped up and used in self defence.
Well not really. From what I understand of it, the point of Tai Chi is simply a set of movements that help to control and improve the flow of various things (breathing, blood, energy, mana, etc).

Wikipedia has a lot more elaborate description... mentions a bit on the martial aspects, but it doesn't appear to be a case of just speeding it up.

Either that or they'll be too busy laughing to try to attack you.

I don't need to wave my arms about to make people laugh at me! Tongue

:mellow:

:unsure:

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 12:55:26 AM »

I haven't played piano or violin for quite a while, thanks to the collegiate system of music instruction and level or work to do.  :hmmm: Currently, my hobbies include:

Going to class
Sleeping
Eating
Going to class
Reading
Going to class

I lead an exciting life  :alien:  
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 01:04:36 AM »

looks like a good cross-stitch but my attention was quickly distracted by the reflection, theres a lot more to see

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 01:55:25 AM »

Is anyone else reminded of that eBay kettle?  LOL  

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:41:04 AM »

violin would be so sweet to play. maybe not as sweet as it sounds though, i don't know

i also think it would be awesome to play the accordian Cheesy  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: