BPsite Forums
April 27, 2024, 05:30:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tsunami  (Read 15439 times)
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2005, 07:56:01 PM »

despite now watching the BBC on mute, due to its pompus over zealous commentary, there was something about americas dedication to helping the injured; to which my dad replys "what the fuck?".

so from the americans here how much has your news coverage said to you on the subject and what are you doing in the subject of aid care?

you've given crap all to funds compared to the rest of us and there hasnt been anything about aid workers.

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 02:52:23 AM »

There's been a fair amount of news coverage on it - 150,000+ people don't die in a horrific natural disaster and escape notice here, you know.  As for funds, I think (am not sure atm) that we're pledging 350 million right now.  I'm sure some government-sponsored aid workers and volunteers will come over as well, but for God's sake, mole, it's on the other side of the frikking world.  It made the front page for a couple days, but the war in Iraq and domestic concerns are sucking it into the background.  

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 03:02:02 AM »

it's been pretty much all over the news here. Just because our president and 52% of responsible voters are morons doesn't mean that we shove all non US news into the backburner. Bush pledged $15 million at first which basically sucks but he was shamed into giving more by Dems and the rest of the world. He's pledging $350 million which is only topped by Japan. In comparison, Britian is giving $96 million, here's an article, Tsunami Aid by Country

Also many relief organziation in the US have donated money and I have personally given $75

oh and here's an article about the U.S. relief missions U.S. Relief Mission

What is Europe(particularly Britain) doing about the crisis? And what is the Euro media saying about America?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:08:39 AM by Saladin » Logged

I have become Death; destroyer of worlds.
--J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the explosion of the first atomic bomb
[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:19:18 PM »

Yes... because a country with an economy several hundred times larger than ours is giving three times the amount of money. Congratulations. You suck. Why is that million not a billion? And how come a little country like Japan can donate 500 million, whereas America can only manage 350?

Anyway, I second mole's sentiment - I'm fed up of hearing about the tsunami on the news. Yes, we know lots of people died. Yes, we know lots of money is needed. We've already donated, so I don't need three hours of guilt tripping every day, thankyou.

Oh, here's a goodun. Bill Gates asking people to give money to the aid fund. Bill Gates. Asking you to give money. That's rich.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:20:27 PM by Rug » Logged
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 06:07:25 PM »

So fucking sick of the tsunami talk.  Yeah a lot of people died.  Honestly they're probably better off that way.  just a couple more storms like that and the world could be in good shape.  But it's not like these topics are even started for the "lets feel bad about people dying" factor.  It's "oh look another excuse to bitch about what a shitty country America is and how much ass their leader sucks"  and "we're better than you because we donated more money and wear more little ribbons than you."  So fucking stupid.

mm I needed that.
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 06:47:16 PM »

Exactly, we always need more reasons to pick on the big fat Americans.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 07:00:05 PM »

It made the front page for a couple days, but the war in Iraq and domestic concerns are sucking it into the background.

really? i thought this would be ideal opporunity for iraq to be taken o0ut of the spot light and to divert all your attentions somwhere else for awhile.

And what is the Euro media saying about America?

absolutely nothing

What is Europe(particularly Britain) doing about the crisis?

sending tonnes apon tonnes of aid, food, fresh water and workers.

your innitial pledge was £18milliom to our £50million after 2 days

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 12:05:47 AM »

Yes... because a country with an economy several hundred times larger than ours is giving three times the amount of money. Congratulations. You suck. Why is that million not a billion? And how come a little country like Japan can donate 500 million, whereas America can only manage 350?
Our economy is comparable to yours, since (I believe) you belong to the EU, and the Union's economy is as strong as ours.  Japan, too, has a HUGE economy, and can afford to give just as much as the U.S. in aid.  

Oh, and we support a shitload more foreign programs than any other country in the world, so excuse us for not raising our taxes in the U.S. to 70% just to give the most aid out of every nation to every disaster-stricken country in the world.

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 12:16:07 AM »

Our economy is comparable to yours, since (I believe) you belong to the EU, and the Union's economy is as strong as ours.  Japan, too, has a HUGE economy, and can afford to give just as much as the U.S. in aid.
Uh.. yeah, ok, so add up the donations from every country in the EU if you want to use that argument?

Austria 13.60
Belgium 16.32
Britain 96.00
Denmark 76.83
EU 31.29 (From EU coffers)
Finland 6.12
France 66.38
Germany 27.21
Greece 0.40
Italy 95.00
Netherlands 34.00
Norway 181.90
Poland 1.00
Portugal 10.8
Spain 68.02
Sweden 80.00

I'm missing 10 countries, but I think you get the idea? If the EU's economy is comparable to Americas, how come the EU can manage well over 400 million?

Anyway, screw the economics and read what fire said:

So fucking sick of the tsunami talk
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 01:01:37 AM »

well atleast they arent showing anymore "new shocking footage" to which we must endure some correspondent with a semi-seriousness to his voice while reciting what occurs to me as bad 17th century poetry

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 02:38:15 AM »

All that was showing on the news in France was the tsunami info, so I stopped watching news.  LOL  

-Que sera, sera.
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 02:44:31 AM »

Aren't we in debt by like a trillion or something?  Anyway, I'm sick of this; of course, I'm like "Hey, that sucks", but aren't there like 6 billion of us?

I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and and bananas.

http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUG...hug=luvr_bunnie

[img]http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/count_hugs.cgi?hug=luv
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 02:58:31 AM »

well it's obviously going to be all over the  news, it's only the worst natural disaster in over 40 years. But i agree with fire, i'm getting tired of all the talk and the reports on the news by reporters showing fake emotion while silently pleased that they just got a good story. But i also agree with fire that this is another bash America thread, look at mole's post in the beginning.

Seriously just stop bashing Americans, As Thurgood Marshall put it(although he was talking about blacks, but it applies here too "We've got just as many beautiful people as everyone else, and we've got just as many stinkers too" Bashing America is getting real fucking old, if it doesn't stop soon then it's frankly no use in discussing important things with a bunch of flamers. Besides i'm betting it doesn't take much effort to make a thread in bashing Europeans

of course, I'm like "Hey, that sucks", but aren't there like 6 billion of us?

Honestly they're probably better off that way. just a couple more storms like that and the world could be in good shape

oh please people, tell that to the over 150,000 dead and tell that to their families and friends.

Now i  may be just being paranoid or cynical but i always wonder what the outcry would be if this happened in the Western World, and would you all still be saying this?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 03:03:57 AM by Saladin » Logged

I have become Death; destroyer of worlds.
--J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the explosion of the first atomic bomb
[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 04:47:07 AM »

Now i  may be just being paranoid or cynical but i always wonder what the outcry would be if this happened in the Western World, and would you all still be saying this?
Personally, it'd be interesting to see what would happen if this occurred in some of those European countries that wouldn't support us in Iraq.  I bet there'd be a hugh outcry for their "best friend," Uncle Sam.   Tongue

Meh, rationally speaking, I think disasters like these shouldn't happen to any country, and the world should stop bashing Americans.   Wink  

-Que sera, sera.
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 06:29:51 AM »

oh please people, tell that to the over 150,000 dead and tell that to their families and friends.

I'd be like, "Oh shit, I'm going to die." Then X_x, and then I wouldn't care b/c I'd be dead.

But nothing happens over here.

I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and and bananas.

http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUG...hug=luvr_bunnie

[img]http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/count_hugs.cgi?hug=luv
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: