BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:49:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: If...?  (Read 65274 times)
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2003, 02:47:55 PM »

ah, so you're definately going with the battalion idea instead of the heros?...and if there going to be sets of premade stances...there will be no difference at all in the two approaches

on other thing...are you going to take up the suggestion of "unlocking" more battalions as time goes on?...the game could calculate your networth...and unlock more battalions as it grows higher...
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 02:51:57 PM »

Ok, This is what I propose for the resources system:

Resources associated with Weaponsmithing, Armour smithing, Bow Making, fletching etc:

Food (Used for upkeep, drafting and training, all sorts)
Oak (Tough wood, used for Spear hafts etc)
Yew (Bendable wood, used for bows etc)
Iron (Used for Swords, Spear blades, Axes blades etc May be Smelted into Steel with correct facilities)
Gold (Used to pay Weaponsmiths etc to construct goods)
Steel (Used in the place of Iron, Steel weapons are superior. Some weapons may only be built with steel)
Sinew* (Used for bowstrings etc, taken from Animals hunted for food)
Leather (For light armour, and also used in heavier armour, taken from Cow hide. May be Tanned with the correct facilities to create Tanned Leather which is superior.)

*Not sure about this - it seems like it might be a bit too easy to get.

Weapons would require something like this: *All numbers are 'Units' of the resource*

Lance: Mounted only, 2 Oak, 1 Steel
Pike: 3 Oak, 1 Steel
Spear: 2 Oak, 1 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)
Axe: 1 Oak, 2 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)
Longsword: 2 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)
Shortsword: 1 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)
Greatsword: 3 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)
Longbow: 2 Yew, 1 Sinew
Shortbow: 1 Yew, 1 Sinew
Crossbow: 1 Yew, 1 Iron, 1 Sinew (Or Steel, to create a Superior weapon)

Armour:

Leather: 2 Leather (Or Tanned Leather, to make a superior item)
Studded Leather: 2 Leather, 1 Iron (Or Tanned Leather, Steel, to make a superior item)
Chain Shirt: 3 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior item)
Full Chain: 5 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior item)
Platemail: 7 Iron (Or Steel, to create a Superior item)
Field Plate: 10 Steel

Gold cost would vary form item to item... but I need to know more about the main game mechanics before I can put a monetary value on any of this. Of course, all values above are in-progress.

Trade system?

A trade system would be good... so that those who cant manufacture Steel can trade for it for truly extortionate prices... making  sure that producing your own equipment is cheaper in the long run, while taking time to produce what you need and taking territories with the necessary resources, you can buy those 10,000 spears you need to face down the Cavalry army thats charging at you at very short notice.

Oh yeah, Horses... hmph, that requires more thought.

I would like to thank SS for giving me something to do on this extremely lazy Tuesday Afternoon...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 08:50:20 PM by Auron » Logged
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2003, 02:55:19 PM »

I say, have yourself as the main general and the only part of your army that never chages (Other than improving with experience?) generate stats for him when the game starts, and give you 1 square of territory and x number of untrained men.

You can train your men, draft new men, build buildings, develop land, construct equipment, trade for equipment or gold, invade your neighbours for land and pillage, etc etc - Lots of stuff, making it pretty complex.

For combat you select armaments, unit commanders, and unit tactics - Similar to the Batallions idea I believe.

Im just shooting off ideas here...  
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 02:57:01 PM »

Nothing is definite at the moment, but my current view is that batallions/stances would be better.
The unlocking idea could work if it was based around your power/skill... for example: spies could assasinate a random victim at lower levels, but at higher levels they can target a specific type of enemy (archer/swordsman). Or perhaps another way is just to limit the number of batallions dependant on size, so a small army only has one ability, medium has three, large has five, etc.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2003, 02:59:23 PM »

I would like to thank SS for giving me something to do on this extremely lazy Tuesday Afternoon...
Cheesy

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2003, 03:01:56 PM »

wow Auron ur whole weapons thing is awesome! it just sounds soooo cool.  Did u have this stuff already in ur head or did u just start thinking about it today?  Yeah you deffinatly have to tie in horses somewhere.  i think there should be an option for ur charecter to be a farmer and u can get sheep and stuff Smiley
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2003, 03:02:24 PM »

When the player first starts I want to keep things very simple, so that they don't get lost. With Neveron I gave up because I couldn't be bothered figuring out what was what.
However, the player also needs to know that they can do complex stuff in the near future, so that they continue to play, and that the longer they play the more power (both ingame power and game options) they will get.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2003, 03:04:54 PM »

i think there should be an option for ur charecter to be a farmer and u can get sheep and stuff
Hmmm... this is going to be a fighting game, not a 'living' game... it would be nice to have a real persistant world where you can choose any occupation, but I think if that's going to happen it should be a seperate later project after/if this one is successful.

Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2003, 03:06:43 PM »

o well wut ever but sheep will rule the world one day :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep: (they r already ruling my post LOL)
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2003, 03:09:33 PM »

When the player first starts I want to keep things very simple, so that they don't get lost. With Neveron I gave up because I couldn't be bothered figuring out what was what.
However, the player also needs to know that they can do complex stuff in the near future, so that they continue to play, and that the longer they play the more power (both ingame power and game options) they will get.
Yep... thats the idea behind being able to build things and having a teritories system - At the start its fairly easy with your poorly trained militia  raiding a few computer-controlled farms, but eventually you'll be controlling massive units of well-trained Knights in gleaming full plate with lances (Oooooooh, Lances... thats a point :/), duking it with the big guys.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 03:09:56 PM by Auron » Logged
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2003, 03:12:51 PM »

its also why unlocking battalions is a good idea...later on you'd know how to use all the badass combos avaliable better...whereas at the start the focus should be getting your kingdom on its feet...
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2003, 03:34:54 PM »

you dont have too...

well i think cities would be cool, you have your own city, but you could also get in an other city (if the other likes it) and so make an alliance city or sumthing, it could also fall, if charged by lots of people. you could also say that units on defence duty ar in the city and offence duty ar out in the field, on their way to other cities, these units could also get tired/homesick or sumthing, this could also be different for each race

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
jlwd2
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2003, 03:42:57 PM »

Just a thought. If you are going with the map idea, only squares have been suggested so far. I suggest hexagons.

Both tile well. Hexagons have 6 borders (so more opportunity to attack/be attacked) whilst squares have only 4.

Hexagons look better (though would be much harder to code.)

Edit:
Yup, I understand. Was just putting it forward b4 someone else did.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 03:59:12 PM by jlwd2 » Logged
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2003, 03:50:02 PM »

Hex's are cool but:

a, Makes the game harder
b, Make the code harder
c, Makes the map design harder.

See my point?
Mecta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2003, 04:11:52 PM »

SS  |  jlwd2, advertising. I intend to do my best to make sure this is not needed, and a worst case scenario is banner adverts. Hopefully my current 20GB/month bandwidth will be enough, but if not then hopefully I can find a decent sponsor who has plain, simple friendly advertising. If advertising is needed then I will offer a cheap "premium" account which will remove adverts for perhaps €10 a year or something.

I have no prob with paying something like 2 dollars a month for a small kick ass web base game like you are making as long as it's better then koc and belive me if you do these ideals it would be!  Also it would be great if you can set up a pay by money order?  I do not plan to ever get a credit card, pay pal, banck account, or anything like that and would only be able to pay with money order.  Also ads would be ok just dun even think about pop ups most of use use better browsers then ie anyways.

I'm sure right now your mind is not so on the ads/pay thing just wanted to point out to be differ then 99% of the gaming word and use money orders ...  hehe thanks for taking in all our comments!

--Idoxash

"I'm The Taker of Dreams, The Healer of NiteMares ..." Soul Hacker aka Idoxash aka Mecta
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: