BPsite Forums
April 23, 2024, 04:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the film  (Read 5993 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2004, 03:17:44 PM »

Someone's asked this on another forum I visit, and I figure people here might know the answer...

It was made in the early eighties I guess, and featured Ray Harry Howsen :/ type effects.

The only bit I remember is the guy killing a dragon. He bathes in the blood which makes him pretty much unkillable, apart from an area where a leaf fell on him. This blood also gives him a lovely tan, enabling us to see the leaf shaped vulnerable spot that he is unaware of (I think).

Somewhere along the line someone stabs him.

I went for years believing this film was called DragonSlayer, but after much trawling of teh 'net, I have decided it's called something else.

I'm hoping it's available on DVD...but I need a name!!!

So, anyone able to help?

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
mole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 05:06:08 PM »

jeez, if you ever see dragonslayer on turn the TV off like fuck, whats the guy that used to play superman called? chris something? hes in it and its one of the pooest films ive EVER seen, and it aint what he was thinking

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 07:45:56 PM »

chris reeves- doesnt he like have no back or some injury?

opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 10:30:58 PM »

he's paralyzed... stunt accident or something

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
mole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 10:38:40 PM »

yea he caked his spine, but i think hes getting better due to therapy now. are you sure that was his name?

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 11:06:11 PM »

yeah, that's the guy. he's really big on stem cell research and stuff like that.
dunnoh the movie name though. sry.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 11:36:47 PM »

why would he be big on stem cells? hes liek scerwd for life i bet. o- i think it was that he fell off a horse

the movie sounds more like a fantasy version of that greek dude achilles than a dragon

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »

Yeah, I'd thought of Achilles, clearly it's based on that, but they wouldn't mistake being dipped in a river and bathing in dragons blood...  

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 12:09:57 AM »

Easy... if you know your Norse myths.  If you don't... oh well.  I don't remember a specific movie, but the bit you mentioned is from Wagner's opera of The Ring Cycle.  You probably remember that... it's the one that's 25 hours long.

The plot you mentioned is from an Norse epic called (I believe) Sword of the Volsungs.  That particular episode is called Fafnir's Bane.  The hero's name is Sigurd, and the Dragon's name is Fafnir.  Anyway, long story short, Sigurd, who is on a quest (prodded by Regin, a dwarven smith -- no, I don't remember or really care why) to kill a Dragon named Fafnir and to take his treasure of gold.  Just before he goes out to kill the Dragon, Sigurd is advised by Odin (Norse equivalent of the Greek Zeus, Roman Jove) to dig not one, but many pits and hide in the deepest one.  For should he dig but one pit the Dragon's blood would pour all into it and drown him - but he must bathe himself completely in the blood, as it will make him invulnerable to sword-strokes.  He does so, but one leaf falls upon him, and the blood (when it pours down into his pit) does not touch that area.  

Yes, he is killed later by someone who stabs/poisons/shoots him in that spot.   :rolleyes:

Also, as a matter of minor interest, Sigurd is told by Regin (brother of Fafnir, long story) to cut out Fafnir's heart, cook it, and bring it to him (Regin).  As Sigurd is cooking, the juice burns his fingers, and he sucks them in annoyance.  He then suddenly understands the speech of birds and beasts, both of which are and have been advising him to eat the heart himself and then kill Regin, who plans to kill Sigurd.  Sigurd does both these things, and gains much wisdom/knowledge from eating the Dragon's heart.  In addition, he disposes of the threat of Regin.

Also incidentally, ever see those caricatures of a fat woman wearing a horned helmet, screeching out opera songs?  That comes from The Ring Cycle, in which Sigurd's wife, Brunhilda, is featured.  

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 12:26:46 AM »

::Double Post::

Using the Google Search Engine for a number of random keywords, I found this:

Die Nibelungen, Part 1: Siegfried

Originally released: 1924

Lang's most grandiose undertaking, a two-part epic retelling of Teutonic legend, opens in a rhapsody of sculpted flesh and patterns of light, combined with impressive model work as Siegfried battles the dragon Fafnir. By and large, however, this first episode is monolithic in style, and a trifle stolid with it. Lang's obsessively patterned, geometric compositions transform actors in architectural features: this is, in Siegfried Kracauer's words, "the complete triumph of the ornamental over the human." Lang's mythic fatalism is here at its most clear cut, with the result that this is not among his subtlest films.
Alex Jacoby

And this:

Here are a few well-known and widely appreciated recordings of the complete Ring cycle:

Georg Solti conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Opera, 1958-1965. This is the first studio recording of the complete Ring, and is enduringly popular. It is in stereo sound. [Decca/Polygram records]
Recordings from Bayreuth performances:
Hans Knappertsbusch conducting the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, 1956. Mono sound. [Music & Arts]
Karl Böhm conducting the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, 1967. Stereo sound.[Philips]
Pierre Boulez conducting the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, 1980-1981. Stereo sound. [Philips]
Reginald Goodall conducting the English National Opera Orchestra, 1975. Stereo sound. Sung in English, using Andrew Porter's translation. [Chandos]
Wilhelm Furtwängler conducting the La Scala Opera Orchestra, 1950. Mono sound. [Opera D'Oro]
Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, 1967. Stereo sound. [Deutsche Grammophon/Polygram]
James Levine conducting the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, 1990. Stereo sound.[Deutsche Grammophon]

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 12:57:53 AM »

Cool! Thanks. :thumbs-up:

IronDragonSlayer63

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 05:39:23 PM »

Superman was played by Chris Reeves ( which was a kin of George Reeves original Superman, he killed him self jumping out a window trying to fly) Chris is paralyzed from T1 down he can only move his head I beleive and the reason that he is big in stem cell rreserch is that if you can harvest stem cells then spinal injuries will be cured.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: