BPsite Forums
April 29, 2024, 04:31:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: quick question  (Read 16809 times)
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 07:05:36 AM »

Every NORMAL computer can have up to four IDE devices (i.e. hard drives, CD/DVD ROM/writer/rewriter, or whatever)

Check to make sure your computer is checking for all the IDEs (Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave)
In BIOS: (Basic Input Output System)
Press the ‘Delete’ or ’F1’ key at startup (which will tell you which you need to push to enter BIOS) this is normally when your computer shows what hard drives or CD-ROM est. You have.

Ah hell, just look here for it… <_<  (got lazy :rolleyes: )
http://www.pcperipherals.com/support/tour/

OH and western digital (good drive, but more pricy I think) drives come with a program that copies all the info from one drive to the other
you can DL it someplace I'm sure, or get it from me if you want, I got it here somewhere...

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 01:30:06 PM »

Western Digital were more expensive than average, but now they do the Caviar range which are good drives at normal prices. Smiley

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 03:55:15 PM »

man, i never thought id find somebody with more technical knowledge than ss. and he even likes to share it too. Smiley
thx, ill look into that when i get home.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »

Hey, I coulda told you all that but I don't think it's good to poke about inside PCs when you're not confident of what you're doing. Tongue

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 05:40:41 PM »

very true, unless the pc is worthless, i pulled an orginal pentium out of an old comp that my mom threw away, tried to get some other stuff to, but the had welded everything to the case  <_< , apparently screwes hadn't been invented when they made it

The One and ONLY Shadow_King
The Tallest Person is the Last One Standing
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2004, 01:07:07 AM »

i agree, some pc's are worthless, others aren't only fuk with the worthless ones, otherwise you could face a financial dissapointment

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2004, 05:56:58 AM »

LOL, yeah, i guess so. but then again, worse comes to worse, i can just blame it on my dad and we can add that to the settlement claim.

Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2004, 12:46:34 AM »

k, im back with another question, this one possibly serious. my computer has a trojan horse virus on it. ive erased it from all but one file. that one file is windows/system32/config/system.log
i cant seem to get rid of the little bastard. what do i do?

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2004, 12:56:48 AM »

You got Adaware, spybot and some up-to-date AV installed?

If they don't seem to be working, then restart in safe mode (hold F8 during startup, just after hard-drives & cd/dvd drives are detected) and run them all.

Oh and make sure your firewall is active.

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2004, 12:58:58 AM »

firewall? godamnit. my only decent firewall was mcaffee, but i had to get rid of that, because it was giving me some problems. bleh, my cheap ass parents can never bother with a decent firewall.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2004, 01:03:48 AM »

Kerio is a decent enough free firewall:
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

I know some people use Zone Alarm too, but I've never tried that so can't say anything about it.

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2004, 01:35:28 AM »

ok. thanks man.
for whatever reason, the virus scanner didnt work in safe mode, so im back in normal mode, and im gonna run another scan and see if it can fix it. now then, onto the firewall!  Huttah! For the Honor and Glory of Anime!
edit: ah shit, i know this firewall. last time i tried to use it, it killed my computer, and i spent the better part of an afternoon searching for my system restoration disk. can you give me a link to the other one?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:42:08 AM by evilknight » Logged

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2004, 01:47:53 AM »

Hmmm. :mellow:

www.zonealarm.com ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:48:20 AM by SS » Logged

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2004, 02:01:37 AM »

k, thx.
damn, this scanner is gonna take forever, it's scanning every single file on my computer. so far it's done 6.8GB out of 38

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2004, 02:42:33 AM »

ok, got everything set, and the virus has been eliminated. thank you.
my next question, i doubt you can answer. please tell me, what could cause my screen to be offset by about half an inch when playing halo? what i mean is, i cant see the far left side of the screen, because it's like the entire picture has been scooted to the left about half an inch, leaving me with this fine black line that runs down the right side of my moniter. however, ive only noticed it happening when i have been playing halo or diablo2. it might just be my resolution settings, im gonna go play with those for a while, if anyone knows what else it might be, do tell. Smiley  

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: