BPsite Forums
May 12, 2024, 06:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ri'than Lian Pre-Release Version 1  (Read 4640 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2004, 06:07:24 PM »

For those that don't know what Ri'than Lian is, it is a tool for helping tidy log files up. It's basically a regular text editor but with various advanced search & replace features added.

Originally it was made in Delphi, but that was a really simple version, and it wasn't easy to add more power. I tried C# after that, but C# has shit font-handling stuff. So, I then decided to make it a HTA - a HyperText Application - just like a web page, but with more control & power.

What you will find below is most certainly not a finished version. I don't really even consider it at Alpha/Beta stage. I've called it Pre-Release Version 1, because this is the first version I'm letting others see, and I don't want it considered as released - the final version will (hopefully) be far better.

So, what actually is it? It's my progress so far. Complete with bugs, and buttons for not-yet-implemented-features.
I've tried to make it clear what works & what doesn't, but I might have missed some stuff, so apologies for that if I have.

Why am I posting it at all? Because I want people to test it. As the developer, I am more likely to see certain bugs and would miss some that users might find. Also, if more people complain about Bug X than Bug Y, I know what to try and get fixed first.
Also, despite its flakeyness, it does work. Ish. So feel free to give any general feedback about the using of the application in addition to any bug reports.

You can get it in RAR format from here. Extract everything to its own directory (it wont create one by default) and run the HTA file.
(I don't think it will work on Macs, but if anyone wants to try and let me know, feel free)

Okay, so I think I've covered everything. If I've missed anything then obviously ask here.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »

this is the first thing i get on my mac Smiley mebbe if you put the unpacked version on i could check...
it opens stuffit expander, and stuffit expanders says:

An error has occurred while expanding the file "Ri'than Lian.rar" (Unspecified Stuffit Engine internal error).
Error #17999

so i guess it's not much for a mac then eh... can't wait till i get my (windows!!!) laptop Smiley, still over a month tho... which reminds me i have to post the stuff for it around this time  :cool:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 07:09:32 PM by opperdude » Logged

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 07:11:42 PM »

Just uploaded a zip version.

I'm fairly sure that HTA are a Windows-only thing, but they might work if you have the Mac version of IE...

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:21:29 PM »

i have the mac version of IE and i could open that one, but when i try to open the .hta file it doesn't know which program to use to open it... i thought it might be IE (considering your post) but when i choose IE it doesn't really do anything
meh i don't roleplay anyways, so i don't need it, i'll test it for you if you want and you have other suggestions tho

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 09:26:02 PM »

It doesn't explicity need IE, it just needs a web browser, really. You could try renaming the .HTA file to .HTML, but then a fair bit of stuff probably wont work (saving the file, clipboard stuff, and any IE-specific JavaScript).
I mentioned IE because Windows will always use that to render HTAs.

Don't worry about trying to test it if you don't want to though... it might be that no other Mac people ever want to use it, so you'd be wasting your time.
Heh, it might be that no-one other than me ever uses it. Hopefully someone will find it useful though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 09:26:48 PM by SS » Logged

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 06:49:39 PM »

Looked around, couldnt see one - is there any function that allows you to add BBCode and HTML tags to lines as well as making them the colour in the window? Do you could take a log from, say, NWN, make all the Tells green, all the talk red, all Shouts yellow, all party blue - then just paste it onto a forum or somesuch ?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 07:26:59 PM »

No function to add BBCode tags, although that would be useful, so I'll add it as an option when I next work on it.

For HTML, you can just save the file. Although the output is likely to be not the most efficient code you've ever seen.

Hmmm... I'm toying with the idea of adding a set of program-specific scripts... so you could click a NWN button and get Tells/Talks/Shouts/Party all auto-coloured, or an IRC button and get times, names & actions coloured, etc.
Would be better as a proper app for scripts though, so people can add their own. Gah! If only C# didn't have such crap font-support. :/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:30:20 PM by SS » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: