BPsite Forums
May 05, 2024, 05:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Changes  (Read 35466 times)
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »

YARR! Hot pink, me 'earties!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 05:13:50 PM by Rug » Logged
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 06:24:31 PM »

Hot pink has but one use, and that's for debugging output.

For my part, I must say that there are reasons that most forums use the layout they do; it makes a lot of sense, and everyone is familiar with it.  I briefly toyed with an alternate interface for Fyreboard, whereby the forum sections were listed in a dynamic iframe at the side of the page, but decided to revert to the traditional system. Although it required more clicks to get from A to B, the alternate interface made the forum feel too disjointed, as if it were merely a list of topics rather than the online community they represent.

Beehive is open to modifications, you say?  What if I were to mod the index page to resemble a typical forum?  You'd have all of Beehive's features, and the familiarity of a traditional layout.  I haven't looked at the code yet, but I'm sure it's possible through fair means or foul.  Would that satiate the masses?

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2005, 07:46:57 PM »

I think the world you love you if you did that, Hornet.
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 08:41:42 AM »

It reminds me of that commercial with the "pink slip virus."  Cheesy  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2005, 10:11:26 AM »

can we move all the FoN stuff over first?

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »

Beehive is open to modifications, you say?  What if I were to mod the index page to resemble a typical forum?  You'd have all of Beehive's features, and the familiarity of a traditional layout.
I've been planning to do that myself, but I'm waiting for the template stuff to be ready because it'll make it much easier to do.

But you could do it with the current one if you want - just make a copy of thread_list.php and do the relevant modifications, then add a link to the top-bar menu and an entry under the starting page preference in Forum Options, and that should be enough for both interfaces to co-exist.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 01:50:27 AM »

I've been planning to do that myself, but I'm waiting for the template stuff to be ready because it'll make it much easier to do.

If you've been thinking along those lines as well then the chances are many other people have been doing the same, so it may be easier to wait for someone else to do it (the joys of the GPL) and beg/borrow/cadge their efforts.

Given the general reaction here, I'm curious as to why you didn't forward the suggestion before.  Anyway, I've only given their documentation a glance-over, and as you say templates would indeed help the issue.  But I suggest waiting for it to be finished before we start tweaking it; that's not a mistake I'm going to repeat. *curses Nullsoft*

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2005, 01:17:30 PM »

I didn't want to forward it sooner because:
1) I still think people would like the frame-based interface if they give it a chance.
2) I wanted to be more sure about the templating stuff, and had just seen a simple example of it before posting that.

As for the waiting for someone else to do it... possibly; a few other people have murmured about it, but I haven't seen anyone conclusively say "I'll do it"... although I'm not sure if I've stated that myself either. :mellow:

Anyhow, yeah, I don't think it's going to die half-way through or anything, but I definitely agree with waiting.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 06:43:45 PM »

Anyhow, yeah, I don't think it's going to die half-way through or anything, but I definitely agree with waiting.

I'm not concerned about it dying, just that it's infuriating when something small but vital to your mod/skin/whatever is changed in a critical way, and you're force to redo a load of work because you didn't wait until the release version.  I had to rewrite the better part of a Winamp3 skin when they 'tweaked' Wasabi; for the same reason I've paused my Atom editor until the format's been finalised.

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 02:57:13 AM »

no clue what you guys are talking about, but do I get the hint that this requires waiting longer? :huh:

Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 04:07:44 AM »

Hmm... ditto, but I heard FoN in there, so it must involve waiting a LONG time!  Cheesy  :withstupid:  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 09:10:17 AM »

I almost ordered the hosting last night, but had a few questions I wanted answered first. Tongue
Which they've answered this morning, so I'm going to go ahead and order it tonight.

Anyone have ideas for a domain?
(I'll be keeping this one, but I can also get a free com/net/org with the hosting...)

RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2005, 03:45:05 PM »

www.bluepeterfansite.com

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2005, 04:43:44 PM »

Let me rephrase that: Anyone have a good idea for a domain?

Tongue

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »

How about.. bpsite.net?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: