BPsite Forums
May 05, 2024, 06:21:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet Size  (Read 6223 times)
smi256

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2003, 10:44:49 PM »

At some point I changed my packet size, and every once and a while I get fragmented packets (I think).  Symptoms, every once and a while a web page will load all wrong.  If it happens when I’m clicking on KOC links, the font gets dropped (goes to some basic font), the colors go to the 16 basic colors, pictures that are also links get that old colored border around them and the like.  This never happened before I changed the packet size, but now I want to change it back.  How can I do this?

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 11:40:05 PM »

How the fish did you change your packet size? :blink:

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 11:45:29 PM »

I had some program that let you change settings behond what the normal software would let you.  it did alot of good, but just that one setting got pushed too far...  I sorta wish I could remember what the name of that program was... Sad  

*was here
Lyban

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 01:22:10 AM »

I have the same problem from time to time, except it's only on KOC. I've never messed around with my packet size...

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant" - Allied Pilots (WWII)

Drauka

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 05:19:09 AM »

WTF IS A PACKET SIZE?!

Signature:

I am;
A Labourless Peasant, (Damning, Rambling, Aspiring, Unenlightening, King of Anything)
A Masked Faceless, (Diabolical Reliable Assassin of the Underworld, Knowledgeable in the mimickable Arts.)
A Soldier of Sand, Deplorable and Dutiful. Rugged yet Refined. United, and Undeniable. Austere yet Amendable. Kind, and Kingly. Arduous yet Amiable.
A General of the Fallen Legion, (I led my forces into the Deep, we Ran to Assault the Undefeated Keep. Admirably my men crashed like a wave to a ship. the ground shook with our marching and caused me to slip. I fell and later I began to wake. the ground again began to shake, but this time every one fell... Into the Lord’s precipice of hell, here I am damned to forever fall into the abyss.)
A King of the Fallen Nation, (Death stalks his murky streets. Rats run rampant to their Abundant feasts. The Undead stalk the boarders at night. the King, though fallen, has yet to be defeated in a fight. No nation dares intrude upon the unrelenting king. For they fear the horrors his merciless wrath would bring. People fear to leave his nation, and also to Arrive. But his people are just as relentless and resialiant,  they strive to survive.) “The Nation of Steel Will Never Yield.
An Emperor [span style=\'color:green\']of the Anarchists
, (Dispiteous Reaper of Atrocion, Underestimated Kaiser of Ambition)
A God [span style=\'color:green\']of the Faithless[/span], (Defiance, I will never allow. Reliance, I will never allow. Assurance, I will never give. Understanding, I will never give. Killing I will never explain. Always basking, in paradox.)
I am: The Dead, The Underworld, and Death.
I am... Drauka.
[/span]

-Remorse for there is naught left to remorse for.
-We are the metaphorical whores of a new generaltion.
-Again metaphors that means people sit silent and still.
-Ah, this life is just my chessboard, and you are just my pawn.
-Feel the fucking fire rise, up and above and past your eyes.

Jason H. Fredricks'
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 05:57:08 AM »

A packet is a small...packet section of information that your computer ...uses to communicate; in this case it's for my internet.  
The bigger the packet, the more you can send per packet, but because it's gotten so large that it gets messed you (fragmented) going through the line.  With a small packet, you send less per packet (slower preference) but it has a much less chance of getting fragmented (broken up)
Sorry Drauka, I have no idea how well you know computers...no disrespect or anything

-Noxious, this happens to you?  Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that it's my packet size....

*was here
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 06:22:48 AM »

go here and run the test. Itll suggest how to optimize your connection, and has the tools to do it available. I'm not sure if it'll help the issues your having or not, but if nothing else, you can get a little more performance out of your connection.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 07:27:51 AM »

eep! I don't have any of those connections, I have dial-up... Sad
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 07:30:46 AM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 07:04:54 AM »

meh, I've used it on dial up before, just put it in as 56k dsl. should still give you decent tweak tips.  

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 07:46:14 PM »

Dr. TCP, said that my "Tcp Recaive Window" or RWIN, is sat to 256960....
umm... defalt for my OS is 8760, and for XP it's 17520...
so I'm way off

my TTL was low too...I don't even know what Time To Live is good for...

one good thing was that my MTU was right, which is good because I don't know what it should be any ways

*was here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: