BPsite Forums
May 02, 2024, 11:53:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: If...?  (Read 65597 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2003, 04:44:53 PM »

Map areas: I'm currently thinking diamonds (but in the style of Civ where they are actually octogens) and without it being too obvious (ie: no grid lines or distinct borders)

Paying: I've no idea what money orders are, let alone how I would handle them, but if you give me some more info I will definitely investigate it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 04:45:43 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2003, 04:54:53 PM »

Fortifications would require the following to construct:

Stone (Quarried. Used to make Larger, more robust structures and walls)
Oak (Used to make smaller structures, and on the insides of larger structures)
Gold (To hire stonemasons etc)

Example Structures:

Keeps

Motte (I think its the Motte... might be the Bailey, anyway): 300 Oak
Stockade: 500 Oak
Bastion: 700 Oak, 100 Stone
Fortress: 1000 Stone, 500 Oak
Stronghold: 1500 Stone, 1000 Oak

As you can see, defences are VERY expensive... but they should be worth it.

Walls

Palisade: 50 Oak
Full Wooden Wall: 150 Oak
Stone Wall: 300 Stone
Ring and Curtain Wall: 700 Stone

Again, these are rough figures, and working names in some cases...
Mecta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2003, 05:27:14 PM »

Map areas: I'm currently thinking diamonds (but in the style of Civ where they are actually octogens) and without it being too obvious (ie: no grid lines or distinct borders)

Paying: I've no idea what money orders are, let alone how I would handle them, but if you give me some more info I will definitely investigate it.
Yeah guess you are from the UK and that would not even work over there at all!  US money orders is like a check.  Instead of sending a personel check you send a check that is made just for mail orders you could say.  Also unlike personel check if a morder is lost, stolen it is cover.  Guess i'm stuck with the ad part of the game if you use ads anyways.

--Mecta

"I'm The Taker of Dreams, The Healer of NiteMares ..." Soul Hacker aka Idoxash aka Mecta
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2003, 05:29:42 PM »

A Postal Order?
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2003, 05:33:42 PM »

Hmmm, Will we have Food as a resource?

Every soldier uses food, food is obtained by hunting (Sinew is also produced, though at a lower rate than food) and by farming.

This would make the game harder, but also give another element of tactics, as im assuming when you invade someone you take a little of their resources and the Territory you invaded.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2003, 05:46:09 PM »

I think food would be a good thing, it would stop people from being densely packed, because each Area would produce enough food to feed upto X soldiers, so if you have 3X soldiers you either need to hold three Areas, or your army will start to weaken when the food runs out.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2003, 05:48:46 PM »

Ok *Adds food to list of resources in head*
Mecta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2003, 06:09:08 PM »

A Postal Order?
ahh yes that is the other name of them Smiley  just around here you sometimes call them money orders or postal orders that you can get from the postal office.

haha the funny thing is if you people keep up you should just call in Age of Empires cause in a way that what this looks like becoming or at least a game related to it that is base on web code...  Kewl either way Smiley

--Mecta
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 06:11:04 PM by Mecta » Logged

"I'm The Taker of Dreams, The Healer of NiteMares ..." Soul Hacker aka Idoxash aka Mecta
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2003, 06:12:26 PM »

Heh cool, because I know vaguely what a postal order is... except I don't really, but I've got the Barclays website open, so I shall find out soon what it is and if it is possible to do internationally. Smiley

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2003, 06:37:31 PM »

Couldn't find anything on Barclays site, the Post Office site mentioned it, but it appeared to be non-international.
However the PO also mentioned MoneyGram, which is international.
Go here for more details.
Looking at the Post Office site it appears there is a £12 (~$18) charge for all payments under £100 (~$150) though, which would possibly not make it a viable method, though it is possible this is just the PO prices and it wouldn't cost that much in the US.

opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »

eeeh no comment or sumthing, cause i think it would be extremely cool if all of this would happen, but isn't this game gonna be a bit too hard, and too easy to screw up? you said yourself that Utopia was to complicated SS, and this is gonna be quite hard too (as it sounds right now) and if you play it you should not have to look at your account every day if you don't wanna screw it up, but if you want to you should be able to play it every day without it getting boring or that you cant do anything anymore, it think that's one of the hardest things but also one of the most important if you want this to become a popular game

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2003, 06:50:01 PM »

Okay, so all the ideas above are very nice, but we're still missing something rather important: The Name.

I mean how am I supposed to create a folder to store stuff in without at least a working project title? :rolleyes:

The name is important though, it needs to be something which will grab people... if it was called FabulousFightyFighters it aint going to invoke a feeling of interest and curiosity in people. The name needs to be something simple but powerful.
The simplicity can be achieved by allowing it to have an abbreviation which sounds good. I wont bother with examples, I'm sure it is obvious enough what I mean?
Obviously it needs to be themed also, the setting being a pseudo-medieval/fantasy world, with a strong emphasis on fighting, nations/alliances and managing your army. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any original descriptive phrases for this, but it doesn't have to be anything like Kings of Chaos, Soldier of Fortune, Rise of Nations etc. It can be a unique name, perhaps the name of the lands which the game will take place in... I'm currently looking at Filran (:ph34r:), but anyone with good name ideas, feel free to comment. Smiley

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2003, 06:55:39 PM »

Yep, making a game is easy. Making one which requires very little interaction but provides plenty of depth if wanted is the hardest part, and also one of the key elements which will determine it's popularity.
Hopefully though I will have lots of willing beta testers to make sure it is playable with whatever level of attention you want to give it.

One thing which I feel will be vital is that there  is no clear indication of how much wealth a player has, only vague suggestions. To get a more exact figure you would need to spy on that player. This should help to prevent problems like the money-caps which seem to occur in KoC every so often, where no-one on the page has more than 30k gold.

Shylore

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2003, 06:56:52 PM »

Personally Id like to see it kept simple and basic. Yet with enough variation to keep it from becoming mundane. And keep game balance with some realism. One of the things that annoys me more then anything is the fact that an army a 5th the size of mine can make me thier farm. And lose 0 soliders and I can lose several. Now how realistic is that?  Ive read some great ideas here and I know Id be there.  But above all! There has to be admins and people willing to keep it running. Not build something and let it fall to pieces. Thats my simple game wishlist.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2003, 07:02:29 PM »

There has to be admins and people willing to keep it running. Not build something and let it fall to pieces
If coded correctly, persistant worlds require no external input other than the players.
That's not to say there should be no admins/etc, but that they are only needed for GM-style events, for example creating a unique quest.

One of the things that annoys me more then anything is the fact that an army a 5th the size of mine can make me thier farm. And lose 0 soliders and I can lose several.
The attack equations will be coded properly... I'm currently thinking of being able to attack any army bigger than you, but nothing more than a third your size unless they have attacked you first.. but that is definitely open to variation.

(See post just above for other points)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 07:03:25 PM by SS » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: