BPsite Forums
March 29, 2024, 11:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want a 3-way VGA switch  (Read 7003 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »

Anyone know where I can either buy a cheap three-way VGA switch, or get instructions on how to create one myself?

All I can seem to find is DVI ones, and I don't want to faff about with VGA-DVI adapters.

I have vague ideas on how to create one, but I'm not about to start experimenting incase I kill my monitor and/or graphics cards.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 01:56:18 AM »

i should really read the title properly first...

dont get a cheap one, we had one and it wasnt worth the effort

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »

Mmm, I've had a few other people say that, especially for digital (rather than mechanical) ones.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »

I'm trying to have a multi-monitor setup, but I only have a limited number of outputs. If I *split* a VGA signal for two monitors, do I get two screens, or do I get one screen that's on two monitors?  :huh:  
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »

Um, based on the assumption that it's all just electrical signals, you'd probably get two identical screens on each monitor, and with the signal being at best half-strength, likely much worse, the picture would look awful on both. And that's all assuming you don't make things go bang, which I'd put as the most likely outcome.

I'd definitely recommend avoiding that and getting an extra graphics card - doesn't really need to be that expensive/powerful (unless you want to play games across both screens).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: