BPsite Forums
April 26, 2024, 01:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Politics  (Read 32143 times)
Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2004, 08:09:46 AM »

*gives lanair a cookie*
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2004, 12:14:02 PM »

action? like destruction? i liek that part

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2004, 01:00:53 AM »

It is not the role of the government to be handing out free cash to the poor people.  I, as a tax paying citizen (well, not yet, but you get the idea), should not have to be forced by the government to support someone else.  If I want to donate money to a religious organization to help the poor, for instance, that should be my choice.  Wink

Which brings up another liberal philosophy- affermative action, which I also dislike.
hey when the government gives tax cuts for the poor and not to the rich, and actually do something about the inner cities and educational systems then i won't support affirmative action. However that hasn't happened so i support it for obvious reasons

I have become Death; destroyer of worlds.
--J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the explosion of the first atomic bomb
[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2004, 01:53:04 AM »

Affirmative action causes better qualified people to lose jobs to minority representatives.  It is discrimination, plain and simple, which is unconstitutional.  Everyone should be treated equally in the eyes of the government, regardless of their environment.

As to tax cuts for the rich, I'm not an economist, but it's designed to help the economy by increasing spending on the part of the wealthy, which in turn stimulates the creation of new employment opportunities.  Whether it really happens in life, I dunno, but it sounds like a good idea.  Besides, the rich get taxed too much already- what the contry needs is a fixed percent income tax instead of graduated (or at least a fairer graduated one).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 01:54:09 AM by Lord Lanair » Logged

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2004, 01:08:26 PM »

*claps* bout time, our government wanted to raise some peopels income tax to 55% last year  :angry: they needed a right old kicking

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2004, 04:20:23 PM »

Affirmative action causes better qualified people to lose jobs to minority representatives.  It is discrimination, plain and simple, which is unconstitutional.  Everyone should be treated equally in the eyes of the government, regardless of their environment.

As to tax cuts for the rich, I'm not an economist, but it's designed to help the economy by increasing spending on the part of the wealthy, which in turn stimulates the creation of new employment opportunities.  Whether it really happens in life, I dunno, but it sounds like a good idea.  Besides, the rich get taxed too much already- what the contry needs is a fixed percent income tax instead of graduated (or at least a fairer graduated one).
however the government has failed us minorities, you have to admit Bush treats the rich white people better than the poor minorities I live in Harlem, nothing has happened here. There's some guy norh of here who is trying to revitalize Harlem, however he is getting no help from the local, state and federal governments which have let Harlem go to waste.

Affirmative Action gives minorities a chance which they would never get because of where we come from. We might be better qualifies, but because of the challenges we go through we never get to show our stuff, especially since people see us and think that we are lazy people who will turn to a life of crime.

If you have two runners who have the same speed but one has a better form than the other, who would you choose?

You would choose the one with bad form, because you can teach him a better one and he'll kick the other's ass

[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »

*puts hand up* what is affirmative action?

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2004, 08:54:49 PM »

Affirmative action is racism against white people, by white people.

Giving ourselves a tase of our own medicine, or attempts to reconcile the wrongs of the past gone badly awry?
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2004, 07:26:10 AM »

Self-flagellation.  Why should I have to pay for mistakes someone in the past made?  <_<

Saladin- Bush is a flaming idiot who has no clue on how to run the country well.  And I believe the state and local governments, particularly the latter, should be more responsible for the well-being of the citizens in your idea.  How far that aid should go is an opinion question, but the Federal government should not be responsible for providing it.

-Que sera, sera.
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2004, 12:42:30 PM »

no, affirmative action alone doesn't--affirmitive action taken to too extreme of a level does that. When kept it check, it's a good idea, but the problem is that it often *is* taken too far and results in reverse discrimination.

As to tax cuts for the rich, I'm not an economist, but it's designed to help the economy by increasing spending on the part of the wealthy, which in turn stimulates the creation of new employment opportunities.  Whether it really happens in life, I dunno, but it sounds like a good idea.  Besides, the rich get taxed too much already- what the contry needs is a fixed percent income tax instead of graduated (or at least a fairer graduated one)."

It's been tried and failed. Remember hearing about the "trickle down theory" versus the "pump-priming theory"? This is essentially the same thing. Give the rich more money and in theory eventually the poorer well get the money as well. It failed miserably. Giving money to the lower classses has always shown quicker, better results.

Fixed income taxes are shit. There's people that can barely afford to live as is, so for it to work the rate would have to be insanely low. Then again, there's people here--plenty--that have more money than they know what to do with. My dad went to one guys house once who had a life sized chessboard complete with human players, a 5 car garage, olympic sized swimming pool, etc etc etc. The list goes on. You can't fathom how much money people truly have until you see some of these places. They can quite clearly afford to give more to the government, which does need money to keep things going. The real problem is just that taxes get spent on all the wrong things. We're too busy fighting countries and helping other countries without looking at our home situation first.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2004, 01:11:23 PM »

The real problem is just that taxes get spent on all the wrong things. We're too busy fighting countries and helping other countries without looking at our home situation first.

Exactly.
The problem isn't with taxing people more/less or whatever. It's about using the taxes that have been collected to make the damned country a better place.
Going off to invade Iraq in an effort to gain even more control over the world is not what George & co should be doing. But because their aim is world domination that's what they're doing, and meanwhile the rest of the US suffers.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2004, 01:39:48 PM »

why are we helping isreal now? i'd say leave there and fix the US

Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2004, 02:26:20 PM »

It's been tried and failed. Remember hearing about the "trickle down theory" versus the "pump-priming theory"? This is essentially the same thing. Give the rich more money and in theory eventually the poorer well get the money as well. It failed miserably. Giving money to the lower classses has always shown quicker, better results.

a big example of that was Reaganomics, where Reagan used that theory. It led us into the biggest deficit in history

[/font]
--Plato
[/font]
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2004, 02:34:09 PM »

why are we helping isreal now? i'd say leave there and fix the US

now? no now in that. a large part of the american population and a lot of sitters are jewish...answer

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2004, 05:04:38 AM »

a big example of that was Reaganomics, where Reagan used that theory. It led us into the biggest deficit in history
Is that bad?  I read an interesting editorial stating that by doing that, Reagan  ensured that the government would never again spend a lot of money on social issues (i.e. New Deal or Great Society).  The defecit was a marker of his political sucess.  Interesting...  :unsure:

And I hate to say this, but I actually agree with all of you on foreign policy.  Sad... for me to not take the opposite side.  Sad

And frag- if a person has a lot of money, why should he be targeted to suffer higher taxes?  I mean more like the middle class sufferes from graduated income tax- the super rich could pay 99% tax and live, and the current poor people get off with a tiny tax (granted, they don't have too much money, but still).  It's the middle class which supports the government financially, and they deserve a break.  

-Que sera, sera.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: