BPsite Forums
April 28, 2024, 01:51:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: If...?  (Read 65504 times)
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2003, 04:30:50 PM »

Indeed.

This games key princuples should be
 [li]To create something that is easy enough to play, but not so easy that it attracts riff raff.
 [li]To listen to the players
 [li]To MAKE IT WORK LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2003, 04:45:35 PM »

When you attack an enemy zone, you get taken to a screen where you designate tactics for each of your units, then submit the tactics and it generates the battle.
Oh, well, yeah. That's kinda blatantly obvious, no? :huh:

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2003, 04:51:04 PM »

Oh, well, yeah. That's kinda blatantly obvious, no? :huh:
Well, I was explaining to you because you had lost the power of thought Tongue
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »

I'm not thinking about creating an easy game.
What I want to do is create a game which allows you to play at any depth, by which I mean you can play it once a week and still survive, or you can spend an hour a day and not get bored.
All games should be easy at the start, so that people can learn the rules and get used to it, but the idea is that as the game progresses it gets harder, just like any other game.

For me, making things work like they should, and listening to your audience are things which are so obvious they shouldn't need stating, and it hurts when I see things that don't do these, like KoC.
It is like catching a train from Hatfield to London, only to find out the train is taking everyone to Bath whetherr they want to go there or not, and even then every half hour the train has to stop while more coal is shovelled into the engine, the toilets are always blocked, half the windows don't open and the worst thing of all is that you cannot even reach the drivers compartment to punch the driver!

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2003, 04:56:31 PM »

Well, I was explaining to you because you had lost the power of thought
I'm a bit dim sometimes, I'm not a /complete/ retard. Tongue

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2003, 05:16:32 PM »

Hmmm Nice analogy.

Unfortunately, I am going to see tut Matrix for 7, so wont be on IRC much...
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2003, 08:35:16 PM »

Well that's good then, because I was too busy playing Neverwinter, and now I'm going to do some coding, so I wont be on IRC either. Tongue

To All:
I'm going to go create a forum for discussing this is a moment, so feel free to have ideas, but don't bother posting them till I've setup the forum and created specific threads for each topic, that way things will be more organised and it will be easier to find things.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2003, 09:23:02 PM »

I have created a passworded section for discussing Fate of Nations development... everyone who wants to help out needs to PM me with what they are able to contribute and I will then send them the password. Smiley

I will leave this topic open here for people who want to suggest ideas, but are unwilling/unable to help with actual development.

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2003, 03:45:24 PM »

Hey SS... do you actually check your PM inbox? Tongue
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2003, 04:28:32 PM »

Yes, and as soon as I get round to it, I'll reply to the four people who have PMed me. Tongue

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2003, 04:31:06 PM »

Well... get round to it...
Filran

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2003, 04:33:37 PM »

He has.  Cheesy

Oh, I'm gunna make a list of names and such for it SS, so then you can pick which sounds the best to you, or, if you like several, make a poll and have the crowd deside. I, myself, won't partisipate in the poll (if such happens) because I am biased to my own work... and I'd probably like them all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 04:35:05 PM by Filran » Logged

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold.

Member of TGA for five years! Joined Feb 1st, 2003
GandalfTheOld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2003, 06:49:07 AM »

ok, one idea that i probably should have checked the previous posts for redundancy, but...
the gold pillaged should have an additional factor of how many men are attacking (doesn't count defenders), and perhaps also factor in beasts of burden (in other words, things and living things that can carry load, i.e. wargs and steeds)

this means that 10 soldiers have less capacity to hold the pillage than 100 soldiers, and 1 soldier controlling 10 steeds would have more capacity than 1 soldier with only knives.
been thinking how stupid it is otherwise... current coding allows for situations where 10 dwarves with battle axes could literally attack and pillage 10million gold if they're lucky... (think about the physical impossibility of lifting 10 million gold pieces by 10 soldiers)

if the above doesn't make sense, or if it only repeated a previous post, just ignore it Tongue

and concerning coding... what language are you going to be doing it in?
my specialty is in C++ (college level), but with training and experience, should be able to do java/html/etc...

koc name:Maaya
Drifter1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2003, 07:09:11 AM »

i think that's a good idea, but it might be really hard to code.  i wouldn't know though cuz i'm not that good at programming.  i'm better at website stuff

What do you do when you have All Wheel Drive?

You go driftin' Tongue
[/size]

koc name: Sweeper_LaCN[/size]
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2003, 09:56:29 AM »

Gandalf, yes the gold pillaging will definitely be dependant on realistic factors... all the equations will be done properly. It wont be difficult to code, because it isn't difficult to say something like "if Attack=Success then Pillage=Random*Armysize*Carryable" ... except it will be a little more advanced than that, but you get the idea.

As for language, we're using Coldfusion for two reasons:
1) I know it better than I know any other language... including English. :mellow:
2) It is very easy to learn, especially if you already know PHP/ASP/etc.

The site front-end code will hopefully meet XHTML1.1 specifications...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: