BPsite Forums
April 25, 2024, 05:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading RDRAM/Rambus  (Read 5954 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2003, 03:23:17 PM »

Don't.

It's just as cheap to buy a new motherboard, processor*, and get some DDR-RAM instead.

*New motherboards are unlikely to support old P4s, so you'll need either a new P4 or an Athlon.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:35:30 PM »

SS man, RD ram is not THAT expensive, mabye a motherboad, or a processor with a little extra left over for ddr ram
i quote from pricewatch.com

$88  -  RDRAM 512MB

thats not that bad considering ddr ram is about 50 bucks for 512 MB

now the good stuff is expensive
$178  -  RDRAM 1066MHz 512MB

but it's like that for everything

$176  -  PC4000 DDR 1GB

lets be resonable

The One and ONLY Shadow_King
The Tallest Person is the Last One Standing
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 06:22:08 PM »

Okay, well here's my sources:

If it is Rambus, it's probably uber expensive.

on another forum a few months back someone asked about upgrading rambus memory, it turned out to be cheaper to buy a brand new motherboard and buy new DDR ram than it was to upgrade the rambus memory :S

It is Rambus, and it is expensive. And I think that you have to do it in pairs.

The P4 1.3 was an utterly shite processor anyways. Let me reccomend a nice new mobo/CPU/DDR RAM combo as it'll be only a bit more expensive, but massively faster. Whether the dude wants to plump for an Athlon or a newer P4 is up to him, but don't forget that the earlier P4s had a different pin out to the newer ones so he can't use his older P4 on a new board.

well, looking at the prices on ebuyer:

256mb upgrade (2x128mb) = £82.08 + delivery
512mb upgrade (2x256mb) = £143.58 + delivery
1GB upgrade (2x512mb) = £327.88 + delivery (!!!!!)

thats also assuming he needs the cheaper PC800 stuff instead of the 1066mhz stuff :S

Considering that £82 is ~$123 and that e-buyer is almost always the cheapest UK retailer, those prices you quote are flipping excellent ones!

Oh and I've also been told to recommend he knock some up in his shed, using hardwood, or at least Scandinavian Pine.
(I accept no liability for anyone damaging their computer with wood)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 06:22:53 PM by SS » Logged

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 08:07:43 PM »

oh no, i'm not leting you get away with that, those are cheap shots and outdated info

(Cyril @ Teh)
that is an opinion post and yes RD ram was expesive as hell when it first came out, but now the price is resondable comaired with other types of ram, at least here in the states.

(Dennis @ Teh)
originally they had to be done in pairs because of the way the channels worked, the 1066mhz and i think the 800 as well have fixed that problem

The P4 1.3 was an utterly shite processor anyways. Let me reccomend a nice new mobo/CPU/DDR RAM combo as it'll be only a bit more expensive, but massively faster. Whether the dude wants to plump for an Athlon or a newer P4 is up to him, but don't forget that the earlier P4s had a different pin out to the newer ones so he can't use his older P4 on a new board.

ok, thats just insainly old info there, were up to 3ghz and that guys talking about 1.3's that was the early days of rd when as i readly admit it WAS expensive

and the prices i quoted were completely random(i've been to price watch a couple times before when i was building my comp, but i didn't buy a lot online so never had much use for it),  on average rd ram is about twice as expensive as ddr ram, but thats not enough, even by your prices you couldn't get a good processor, motherboard and ddr ram just for the price of rd ram
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:08:29 PM by Biteme360 » Logged

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 08:19:46 PM »

The reason he was talking about a 1.3GHz machine is because that is what the upgrade will be for.

Anyhow, going with Komplett here is a price comparison:

£183.81 for:
Upgrade Kit AMD XP2400+ 2.0Ghz
- Asus A7N8X-X, PC2700 DDR 512MB, Fan

£137.30 for:
Rambus PC800 512MB RIMM Combo
- 184-P I820/840/850 400MHz, 2x 256MB

So yeah, there's a difference of £46.51, but you also get a faster machine, and more potential for upgrading in future.

Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 08:25:39 PM »

184-P I820/840/850

...um..is that the motherboard type? i haven't seen that before that i remeber, i'm guessing that 184-P is the 184 pin P4

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 08:32:39 PM »

No idea what that is, I just copied the summary text from the website. Tongue

Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 08:35:38 PM »

LOL, well this whole thread is useless anyway, intel is discontinuing there contracts with RD ram manufactuers and switching to DDR at least thats the last news i heard about the issue from maximum pc, which i enjoy immensely
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:37:19 PM by Biteme360 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: