BPsite Forums
April 30, 2024, 12:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another virus outbreak  (Read 10258 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 10:41:28 PM »

Heheh. Phoenix was the code-name for Firebird, which turned into Firefox. Which is a bit daft, but there you go.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
GandalfTheOld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 10:43:48 PM »

ahhh... that explains it...
i didn't know much of FireFox/FireBird's history :|

right now digging through the directories of other browsers to see if there are similar stuff in teh cache... i know i viewed www.lordsoflegend.com many times with regular IE... although with AdMuncher and other stuff active
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:45:04 PM by GandalfTheOld » Logged

koc name:Maaya
GandalfTheOld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 01:06:43 AM »

Uh... kay...
seems that one of the comps on this LAN got infected with a new strain of worm...
problem? the whole LAN's protected by a router.

tried starting up the comp, the system process SVCHOST.EXE starts to take up 100% of the CPU usage and nothing moves an inch.
force-delete with the Task Manager, another instance of the SVCHOST.EXE starts to take up about 30-40% of the CPU usage, force-delete again.
once that's done, things seem to finally continue... or so you might think.

Norton Antivirus failed to start-up properly, it brings up an error message that it cannot do e-mail protection.
What's more, the computer cannot view websites.
Neither can programs access the internet, and nadda.  Although it seems that the computer can still access the network, and be accessed from the network.

I go into Safe Mode, I do a thorough search...
5-6 instances of a trojan, that's fine, they're deadmeat.
nothing else comes up, so I restart the comp, and see if it starts up properly.

IT DOESN'T.
The same symptoms occur again.

So, 1 out of 4 comps down on this LAN, and I'm betting this WinXP server that I've been running for 31wks 5days 11hrs 25mins will also die if I attempt to restart it.  A version of Norton Antivirus killed my entire access to the internet, including virus definition updates themselves, so I haven't had a proper antivirus program running for that long.

Oh yeah, it's fun.  Probably too late to put up a firewall on this comp...
Take care, everyone, apparently routers aren't enough to stop this new strain, and I'm wondering if firewalls can stop it.

So far, I'm trying to find out what I can about this new worm/virus... if anyone has info, lemme know.

EDIT:
The problem has been solved.
Found out why nothing special appeared on Norton AntiVirus... it WASN'T a worm/virus.
A freakin bunch of spyware crap simply took over most of the bandwidth between that comp and the router... or something along those lines.
Still don't understand why the comp couldn't view websites while it could still access other comps on the same LAN... Mind you, I was able to send files to the comp, and view files through the LAN.
Wonderful lesson on running spyware-detecting programs, eh?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 08:38:23 AM by GandalfTheOld » Logged

koc name:Maaya
Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 12:48:57 PM »

wow.. that exact same thing happened to me about 3 days ago. i got an ad-aware program taht found over 305 spy wares on my machine. nice to know im not hte only target out there   Tongue  

FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 01:58:01 PM »

bah. once a friend of mine was having his computer checked out by a tech cause it was actin really crappy. one of the first things the tech did was run an a/v program.....and found that every single file on his computer (10,000 plus files) was infected with various viri. beat that.  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:58:15 PM by FragMaster1972 » Logged

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: