BPsite Forums
April 29, 2024, 07:14:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: athlon vs. pentium  (Read 35355 times)
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004, 07:52:56 AM »

/me doesn't know what Cyrix is :mellow:
I don't think any one said this, but if I remember correctly (which happens too far and few between) the Intel 64-bit runs 64-bit (duh), but the AMD 64-bit runs both 64 and 32 bit
and you have GOT to love the ungodly amount of cash of what, three levels?  

too bad macroshit microsoft has a deal to hold back it's 64-bit OS until Intel has it's 64-bit processor ready

Note: I didn’t check any source (just cuz, and it’ll be a few year till I get to that sort of ‘hard-core’ processor)
Another Note: I also like AMD over Intel, so sue me… :ph34r:  

*was here
matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2004, 08:32:48 AM »

meh, i don't know anything about this stuff, but my uncle works for intel, so i'm a little biased Tongue

FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2004, 09:00:19 AM »

mine works for intel too. i dont like intel though.  Wink  

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2004, 04:08:51 PM »

can we finish this arguement quickly? at some point i might be building my own computer from scratch, and id like to know which of these i should use.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »

Well when the price for 64Bit Windows is shown to me, il choose between an Athlon 64 or an Athlon XP...

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2004, 04:47:03 AM »

a lot. i think its 500+. they decided to try out intels method of ridiculous prices to sort out the hardcore users from the everyday users.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2004, 01:18:05 PM »

Jesus Christ!!!! An Athlon XP 3200 Barton will do me then.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2004, 03:16:18 PM »

$678  -  Athlon 64 FX
$788  -  Athlon 64 FX 53
$403  -  Athlon 64 3400
$263  -  Athlon 64 3200
$208  -  Athlon 64 3000
$173  -  Athlon 64 2800
$192  -  Athlon XP 3200
$177  -  Athlon XP 3200 400
$132  -  Athlon XP 3000
$156  -  Athlon XP 3000 400
$109  -  Athlon XP 2800
$100  -  Athlon XP 2800 333

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2004, 10:05:29 PM »

hmm.
of the ones less than $200, what's the best? or should i just stick with my pentium 4?

Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2004, 04:56:52 AM »

keep in mind you get an amd, youre gonna need new mobo and ram too....and hafta reinstall windows and all...
that said, i dunno how the 64 2800 stacks up against the 3200 / 3200-400. if you dont want the 64, the choise between 3200/3200 400 is based on your mobo. if your mobo does 400 fsb, get the 400. if not, the standard 3200. 400 will be a better performer with the right board.

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 09:01:13 PM »

ah.

was there any english in there? Sad  

matt_the_shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2004, 01:42:02 AM »

nope, he's in his own world again Tongue

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

Sorry, it just got longer and longer as I went…this has a lot of my computer hardware experience poured into this post.
If you don’t care about computers and such shut up and post nothing of this posts length you damn post junky :angry:
On with the post!

It’s NOT all about the CPU you know, all the pieces work in concert.
keep in mind you get an amd, youre gonna need new mobo and ram too....
Any major upgrade (to me anyways) normally has these:
CPU (processing output, not always just Mhz/Ghz)
Motherboard (for the new CPU) fsb (front side bus) is a good thing
Note: If you really have to upgrade you probably can’t but a new/semi-new Intel chip in the old motherboard anyway.
RAM (to match the CPU/motherboard) make sure it’s what the motherboard can take.
Note:  You can have anywhere from 1 to 4 sticks of RAM depending on the motherboard.  RAM likes to be alone or in pairs. 512Mb +512Mb Cheesy cha-ching!
Note: I know where I am, I can get motherboard/CPU combos; some are quite good…just make sure you look at all the specs.
Case (cuz you probably changed the motherboard type; ATX,AX, est.)
Power supply (for the new motherboard/ more power to run your new goodies)
Note: You can sometimes get good deals on Case/Power supply combos

Note: no-name brands aren’t normally a good thing; they’re cheap ($$$) because they’re just that…cheap (crap) >.>

and hafta reinstall windows and all...
Not so, just as long as the processor can run in 32-bit, you can run your old operating system (windows), even if you buy a new hard drive you can still transfer it all over.  Some hard drives come with a program that moves it all over (operating system and *chough* other files) for you (western digital for example)
Note: you can have 4 IDE devises, hard drives / CD drives / DVD drives (you get the picture…)

that said, i dunno how the 64 2800 stacks up against the 3200 / 3200-400. if you dont want the 64, the choise between 3200/3200 400 is based on your mobo. if your mobo does 400 fsb, get the 400. if not, the standard 3200. 400 will be a better performer with the right board.
Check http://www.tomshardware.com for some good info, and check out stores where you live.  Ask for when they’re getting a shipment of new stuff, AKA when the prices for the non-leading edge goods go down.  You don’t want do this kind of costly upgrade often.  I see it as everything in the computer is good quality so there’s no bottle neck and so I’m getting everything out of all the parts that spent money on; and not end up broke when I could have wauted a week or month and gotten the same thing but much lower price.  I’m ‘thrifty’…ok I’m cheap cuz I don’t have the cash to go around throwing it at random people’s heads.

I sure as hell can’t buy the 64-bit processors… too much green ($$$).  I normally have second-rate equipment, then upgrade when either I’ve run it into the ground or when it just doesn’t cut it anymore.  AKA, can’t play a new game that I really want to play.  

Omg…

*was here
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2004, 04:28:20 AM »

Not so, just as long as the processor can run in 32-bit, you can run your old operating system (windows), even if you buy a new hard drive you can still transfer it all over. Some hard drives come with a program that moves it all over (operating system and *chough* other files) for you (western digital for example)
Note: you can have 4 IDE devises, hard drives / CD drives / DVD drives (you get the picture…)

anytime you change mobos, you need to reinstall. sometimes on a fluke things will still work, especially if its the same chipset, otherwise you'll get all kinds of errors.

Check http://www.tomshardware.com for some good info
*cough* tomsbullshit.com? theyre heavily biased against AMD and ATi...they make them look bad every chance they get. wouldnt use their scores to compare *any* products.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 04:28:57 AM by FragMaster1972 » Logged

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2004, 08:19:40 PM »

Wink then it's kind'a funny that I'm running three AMD ATI computers...  Shocked
anytime you change mobos, you need to reinstall. sometimes on a fluke things will still work, especially if its the same chipset, otherwise you'll get all kinds of errors.
well ya... if you don't install the driver for the new motherboard it's not gun'a work...
the IDE, the chip set, processor, communication ports, universal serial bus… I mean, look at the device manager; most of that stuff will change

so, it can be done, it might not be easy.  And hell, if it’s a just built computer you might as well install clean, cuz that’s the only time windows works its ‘best’ (I use the term loosely … very loosely)

*was here
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: