BPsite Forums
April 18, 2024, 09:17:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: NWN Character planner  (Read 36274 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2004, 07:29:26 PM »

A search just brings up references to levelling tools, which is not incredibly useful.

What I'm thinking of is something that allows you to specify a race and abilities, say what class(es) you want, then it shows you all at once the skills/feats/spells/etc that you can choose from, with complete descriptions of what they do, and lists any conflicts that might arise from choosing different combinations.

I know it's not difficult to do, just a bit time-consuming, so why hasn't anyone done it, or if they have - where is it?

Gah.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 07:36:35 PM »

*Searches nwvault*

Nope, if it aint there; it doesnt exist.

If you didnt want to use it all the time you could just flag down a NWN vet to help you.
Thamior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 01:41:53 AM »

I'm definately a NWN whore and I've played 3E DnD for a while (they use the same rules more or less).  If you have anything you want to ask me about making a character go for it.  And about that planner program...sounds like you better get started on that SS.

I'm gonna hang out with my wang out and rock out with my cock out!
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 10:54:01 AM »

ehm or finish other things first?

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 06:15:45 PM »

Don't worry opper, I don't intend to take on any more projects until I've done the main parts for my current ones, and have them flowing along nicely.

As for character planning, I have only got one in mind at the moment, but it would still be nice not to need to run to someone else nor spend a million years studying three manuals, alongside several patch changes. Tongue

The current character I want is essentially a Shadowdancer/Sorcerer.
However, I don't want a combat Sorcerer, I want to strengthen that class in using Counter & healing spells.
So, unless I play through with a big strong half-orc and let him do all the fighting until I get high enough to start levelling as a Shadowdancer (which is a little boring), I'm going to need to start as a fighter/ranger/rogue/barbarian, yes?
But which of these would best complement my main goal? Rogues have the advantage of having the most skill points, meaning I can quickly get the 23 combined ranks in Move Silently, Hide & Tumble which Shadowdancer requires, but they only have a d6 hit die. Barbarians have d12 hit die and quite a few skill points, but don't have any of the three skills I need as class skills. Rangers have the appropriate class skills and as many skill points per level, with a d10 dice, but then again their special abilities are perhaps not quite as useful to me as an extra feat every other level, which Fighters have, although they get less skill points.

You see why a character planner would be good - so I could quickly build each of these and efficiently analyse the overall advantages, without having to spend ages looking through the manual or waste time manually levelling up, noting stuff down, resetting, etc.

Anyhow, suggestions?

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Thamior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 07:04:19 PM »

I'm not understanding the reasoning for sorceror since you want healing and counter spells.  Multiclassing with barbarian won't do anything helpful for you, except raise your speed a little bit.  You'll get some item that grants the haste property by the time you have the prereqs for shadowdancer so it pretty much gets negated.  You'll never rage as a shadowdancer so that becomes obsolete also.  Having a level in ranger would be good for the dual wield ability, but the experience penalty you get from multiclassing makes having one level of ranger not worth it, in my opinion.  Personally, I would start out with 5 levels in rogue and then go to five levels in cleric.  After that take shadowdancer all the way.  Being a rogue gives you the skill points you need, sneak attack damage, and some rogue abilities (uncanny dodge and evasion I think).  Then being a cleric gives you powerful spells, both healing and offensive, that don't suffer any chance of spell failure due to armor.  Also, both these classes have the same base attack progression, so you don't lose any base attack bonus points.  For example, as a sorceror you get +1 BA every two levels, so if you take an odd number of levels in Sor/Wiz, you pretty much waste +1 to all your attacks.  Skills and feats are totally up to you.  I don't know what shadowdancer prereqs are.  Ability point wise I would go with Dex as my highest and use a ranged weapon/light armor.  Con would be good since your hit dies would never be more than the cleric's 8.  Wis is important for your cleric spells and Int is important for skills, so those two are neck and neck.  Str wouldn't be important if you were using mostly ranged weapons/spells/sneak attacking.  Cha effects undead turning and a couple rogue skills, but still is least important.  I'm too lazy to do it on my own machine but try the Rog5/Clr5 shadowdancer and see how it comes out and what needs to be changed.

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 07:07:19 PM »

Yep... everything Thamior said is correct. If you want to heal - Cleric. Simple enough.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 07:28:14 PM »

Gah, that makes total sense, dunno how I missed Cleric. :/

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 07:53:32 PM »

If you want to be a healy/casty/fighty person (a real jack of all trades) try a Sorceror/Cleric/Palemaster.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

I tried being an evil character before, but I couldn't stop doing good stuff. :mellow:
Maybe I could get away with being a Neutral PaleMaster, but it'd require effort.

Thamior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 09:13:42 PM »

Another alternative to the rogue/cleric I suggested would be a rogue/druid.  Druid might even be better than cleric.  You still get spells, including healing spells and offensive spells, but I'm not quite sure how many.  You'd have to check on that.  But being a druid move silently, hide, and a lot of that fun rogue stuff remain class skills.  Also, you would get an animal companion which is pretty strong.  I would take the panther which is also considered a rogue as far as the game goes (it gets sneak attack and rogue skills).  I actually want to make a druid-assassin character.  They fill the prereqs due to the skill similarities and for roleplaying reasons, druids and assassins are both good with poison, so in many cases it would make sense for an evil druid to become an assassin.  So you can try to play around with a rogue/druid shadowdancer too and see what happens.  Here's stuff I forgot to mention before.  I forgot race.  If you go with the rogue/cleric one I'd say go for halfling but I'd recommend elf for the rogue/druid.  Any race would work more or less just the same though.  Okay have fun.

P.S.  Low-leveled sorcerors suck.  Their spells become crap unless every character level you have is in sorceror.  Their familiars get killed in one hit.  They have barely any proficiencies.  They don't get many skills points.  Their hit die is a pathetic d4.  Never multiclass with sorceror unless it's absolutely necessary (ie Arcance Archer).  Even with the level 27 arcane archer I used for HotU, he was Ftr6/Wiz4/Arc17.  I avoid sorcery.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:21:56 PM by Thamior » Logged

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 09:23:03 PM »

Druids smell. Tongue

I was planning on going with Humans because of the easier multi-classing and extra skill points.
Although do Prestige classes count for multiclassing? I've never seen it said that they don't, but I've got an odd feeling...

I don't like Halflings, for the same reasons as I dislike Gnomes & Dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:24:22 PM by SS » Logged

Rug

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 10:00:06 PM »

PrCs count for multiclassing.

Druids are ok, but Clerics become stupid-powerful above level 12. Well worth the early levelling issues.
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 11:13:20 PM »

If you want to be a healy/casty/fighty person
Doesnt Cleric cover all of those?

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
Rug

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 11:34:47 PM »

No, clerics are *really* crap at fighting and apart from Harm their offensive spells arent upto much.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: