BPsite Forums
April 26, 2024, 12:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Upgrades Worth the Gold  (Read 11145 times)
bofor

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2003, 12:47:28 PM »

I hear lots of complaints about how far down in the rankings people go when they sell weapons for upgrades. I used to know the value of the upgrades in age 1 and they were worth the gold. I'm not sure thats true in age 2. Are you better off just investing in weapons? And 25% , 25% of what ? Certainly not your SA or DA. I'm not sure if even 25% increase to a new weapons DA or SA?  :blink:  
Arantor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 02:58:13 PM »

Yes, they're worth the gold -- if you have enough weapons.

This is how it works:

SA = WeaponBase * 5 * NumberofWeapons * (1 + TotalUpgradePercent)

So, for 5 Excaliburs and no siege upgrades, it's:

64000 = 2560 * 5 * 5 * (1 + 0)

When you upgrade that the first time, it goes up to 80000 (a 25% increase).  But from here on, you have to calculate what your SA would be *without* upgrades before you can determine how much an upgrade will help you.  Example:

96000 = 2560 * 5 * 5 * (1 + .50)

That's not a 25% gain over 80000, that's a 50% gain over 64000, your base damage.

Therefore, since I now have 45 Excaliburs and Catapults for siege, the next upgrade will definitely be worth it for me:

1,152,000 = 2560 * 5 * 45 * (1 + 1.00)     <-- currently
1,296,000 = 2560 * 5 * 45 * (1 + 1.25)     <-- If I were to upgrade to Siege Towers
1,280,000 = 2560 * 5 * 50 * (1 + 1.00)     <-- If I were to purchase five more Excaliburs

Upgrading to Siege Towers costs 640,000 gold.  Buying five more Excaliburs costs 839,000.

I'll be getting more for my money if I upgrade before I buy more excaliburs.

Hope that helps!
Aran Taur

P.S.  Oh, and every trained soldier without a weapons adds 36 to your SA.  Every untrained soldier without a weapon adds 6 to your SA.  I assume that the same ratio applies to untrained soldiers with weapons, but I've never had them, so I wouldn't know. Cheesy
bofor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 05:41:20 PM »

Good S**T . Talk about information overload. Intuitively I'm not sure I believe all those numbers yet but at least now I can do the calculations and decide if my next upgrade  ( much more money than your example) makes sense.

Thanks  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  
Dirac_Notation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 05:50:34 PM »

Whether it's worth it or not depends partly on how you get the money.  

If you sell off ~20 dragonskins to fund your purchase of stronghold, the point at which it's worth it is when you start out with about 220 dragonskins.  

If you have cash on hand, the question is whether you'll buy stronghold or buy ~15 dragonskins.  In that case, it's better to buy stronghold if you've already got about 150 dragonskins.

"Admire the power of the Dirac notation!"
J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, p. 209
Dark0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 07:33:53 PM »

they worth the gold cauz with less weapons u have the same result and less weaponz means less repair Smiley

Nobody's perfect but i am pretty fishin close
ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 07:54:05 PM »

Be more careful with spies and spy levels though. For that, you have to take many things into consideration: the money needed to train A number of spies at level X compared to the money needed to train B number of spies at level Y, and the total loss of money if you trained J number of more spies if you were at level G than if you were at level G+1, and etc. Spy levels get confusing. And unit prodution, its not worth it to go more than 6 or 7.
Lyban

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:45:51 PM »

SA = WeaponBase * 5 * NumberofWeapons * (1 + TotalUpgradePercent)

The factor of 5 is for a trained soldier. If the weapon is used by an untrained soldier then it changes to a factor of 4. The weapons are distributed to trained soldiers first so as to maximise your SA or DA. I'm not sure about the contribution to SA/DA of 36 by a trained soldier without a weapon and 6 for an untrained. I do know that untrained guys contribute to both SA and DA by a certain amount, and so when you train one in say SA, you get will have a decrease in your DA. I didn't think that the difference was as great as 36 to 6 though.

I just trained a couple of guys up as an experiment...here's what happened:

Initial SA = 382,738
Initial DA = 497,215

After training 1 soldier in attack I got

SA = 382,740
DA = 497,205

After then training 1 soldier in defense I got

SA = 382,731
DA = 497,207

As you can see, the gain in either SA or DA was negligible compared to the loss in the other. The only real advantage I can see to training your guys up comes when you actually have weapons for them to use.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant" - Allied Pilots (WWII)

bofor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 05:47:01 PM »

In determining how much gold you win or lose in attacks does how your SA or DA breaks down between upgrades and weapons make any difference?  :blink:  
Drowzycow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 07:28:23 PM »

Upgrades are worth the gold since they can't be sabbed as simple as that
Dirac_Notation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 08:15:45 PM »

unless, of course, you are unsabbable  Cheesy  

"Admire the power of the Dirac notation!"
J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, p. 209
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 12:55:05 AM »

Ahhh, the joys of spy immunity.  Cheesy   I'd rather have upgrades than weapons though (it gives me a sense of satisfaction having something like a citadel).  ^_^  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
DKi9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 09:42:29 AM »

Wait I've got one question that I'm not understanding about the upgrades.  Does it calculate it (the 25%) by any fixed variable or is it based on current status?  What I guess I"m asking is would it behoove me to get my SA past a certain point and then say I want 25% added to that, or is it 25% of something I had at some point and the timing of my purchase isn't taken into consideration?

Hehe, hope I didn't make that confusing, my mind is a whirlwind sometimes.

Sunny days wouldn't be special
if it wasn't for rain;
Joy wouldn't feel so good
if it wasn't for pain.
Death gotta be easy
cuz life is hard;
It'll leave you physically, mentally
and emotionally scarred.

50 Cent
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 04:32:48 PM »

I think I get what you mean. if you have 1 million SA, and upgrade, you'll have 1,250,000. another upgrade would bring you up to exactly 1.5 mil (1 mil + 25%), not 1.25+25%.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

PrinceofFear

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 05:56:44 PM »

So the more weapons and higher siege tech, its a great 25% or what?  or is it cumulative?  so like up by 25%, another 25%, etc etc?
slayerselune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 06:03:49 PM »

I think it's 25% on base score.  Not cumulative.  sigh, wish it were...

The piano's been drinking...not me.--Tom Waite
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: