BPsite Forums
May 06, 2024, 08:18:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Post About Pansies  (Read 6902 times)
Galmort

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:21:35 AM »

Ice turns North Carolina commute into chaos
3,000 pupils stranded at schools overnight
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:44 a.m. ET Jan. 20, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. - A surprise 1-inch snow that turned to ice on frigid roads crippled North Carolina’s capital, trapping motorists in epic traffic jams and stranding some 3,000 pupils overnight at schools. The governor urged people to stay home Thursday while crews clean things up.

Highways were clogged with desperate drivers whose commutes Wednesday stretched to as long as eight hours. Law officers tallied about 1,000 accidents in the Raleigh-Durham area, but there were no reports of fatalities.

“You’d move a little bit, then you sat ... then you moved a little bit, then you sat,” said salesman Brian Baldelli, who took seven hours to go nine miles on one highway.

Gov. Mike Easley declared a state of emergency, allowing him to open two state government buildings in downtown Raleigh as shelters.

Department of Transportation crews “have been out all night scraping the roads and spreading salt, but their work is not yet complete,” Easley said early Thursday. “If people can stay home, especially this morning, I am encouraging them to do so.”

School buses suspended
Some 3,000 students spent the night at Wake County schools after bus operations were suspended and parents were unable to come get them. With Thursday classes canceled, school officials planned to have the stranded youngsters bused home during the morning.

Such a mess from a mild snowfall stunned even the forecasters.

“In the 24 years I’ve lived here, I have never encountered the traffic situation I saw today,” WRAL-TV chief meteorologist Greg Fishel said. He apologized on the air for what the station’s “embarrassing” forecast — a few flurries.

National Weather Service forecaster Brandon Locklear said very dry snow packed onto roads that were frigid after two days of below-freezing temperatures.

“You had some melting from the compression of people driving on the roads, followed rapidly by refreezing,” he said. Road crews were forced to try applying melting agents to jammed roads.

Sleeping at grocery store
Lisa Sun of Raleigh resigned herself to spending the night inside a 24-hour grocery store when police closed an ice-covered bridge, cutting her off from her home. She had already spent four hours covering a distance that usually takes half an hour and saw “a slew of accidents.”

Almost two dozen people at the grocery early Thursday, watching TV or sprawling on air mattresses.

“They have food and a restroom,” Sun said. “We’re pretty happy.”

i love minnesota...on freakin inch and they go nuts, we can take at least 20 before we start plowing haha
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 10:34:21 PM »

sint one inch of ice on roads quite a bad thing?

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 11:47:58 PM »

I've never seen an inch of ice before, but if what I guess is right (that it's only snow with a little ice on top), then the NCers are pansies. Smiley  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 03:47:56 AM »

heh, that one inch of ice was a bitch to deal with.

i dont care how big your vehicle is or how good your tires are, you DONT get traction on ice.
in related news, i smacked the shit out of a CITGO gas station sign (the one that lists all the prices and such)
my jeep is perfectly fine.
the sign however, got moved a nice little 7 or so inches.
fun stuff.

they didnt/havnt file/d any claims yet, so im good.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:11:13 AM »

i dont care how big your vehicle is or how good your tires are, you DONT get traction on ice.
unless you have chains, maybe studded tires. aside from that.....yeah, youre screwed.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 12:51:19 AM »

Our school doesn't close unless there's 1.5" inches of snow.  <_<  
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 02:56:53 AM »

Our school doesn't close.  Sad

Fraggy- studded tires are illegal in NY and chains make a clunky and rough ride, so why not just slide?  LOL  

-Que sera, sera.
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 03:09:45 AM »

Our school doesn't close.  Sad

Fraggy- studded tires are illegal in NY and chains make a clunky and rough ride, so why not just slide?  LOL
who cares, you can still buy em. just dont get caught. Smiley

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 03:11:47 AM »

actually, I just checked, and they are legal between October 16th through April 30th.

Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 03:18:59 AM »

last winter farmington experienced their first snow day in like 15 years. and we've had some pretty snowy/icy winters up here.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »

unless you have chains, maybe studded tires. aside from that.....yeah, youre screwed.
or you happen to have oh say a tank?

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »

meh, tanks are so expensive these days....

and with a little engine powering those big-ass treads, the mileage you get must be shitty.l

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 10:36:04 PM »

pffft its tax deductable

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Saladin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »

well the Hummer is the closest thing we've got to a tank and its mileage sucks. Instead of driving from place to place  and stopping off at gas stations, you drive from gas station to gas station and stop off places...

I have become Death; destroyer of worlds.
--J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the explosion of the first atomic bomb
[/font]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
[/font]
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 05:14:12 AM »

How true!  LOL

Why would a person need a hummer in the first place?  Is it for that great, rocky wilderness known as suburbia?  :hehe:  

-Que sera, sera.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: