BPsite Forums
May 02, 2024, 06:32:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 11404 times)
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 06:34:09 PM »

ya sorry, that doesn't pay for much in the way of peripherals (no mouse, keyboard, CD/DVD, monitor, video card) because she already has those.  The video anyways is coming from my friend's old compy GForce4 MX 440, way more then she needs to play her Maple Story and a dozen or two web browsers.

Mobo & CPU combo: $70
AMD Sempron 2.8GHz, PC Chips M848ALU
Heat Sink and Fan: $20
HD: $50 (it might be lower)
WD 120GB
Case & Power Supply: $40
Antec, 350W
RAM: $80
1GB PC3200 Dual DDR, 400MHz

my friend might want to get better stuff and brand, I don't mind if he does, it's not my money :hehe:  

*was here
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 09:47:22 PM »

Knoppix can come in handy for situations like this - it's a Linux distrubution that runs off a bootable CD, so you can easily partition the HD without having to worry about using it...

Yay, someone else Linux savvy.  I also like Slax for recovery, as it's a little more comprehensive, unless you happen to have the Knoppix / Gnoppix cheat list in front of you.  (And yes, there's a version called Kill Bill).

Don't forget DSL, as it's just hillarious to watch their reactions when you pull an OS out of your keyring.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 06:01:10 PM »

AMD Sempron 2.8GHz, PC Chips M848ALU
Ick. Heard bad things about PC Chips in the past... dunno if they've changed recently, but I wouldn't recommend it incase they haven't.

-

Gah! Why is it always so difficult to figure out which file to download for Linux software...
http://dsl.thegeekery.com/current/
Do you need seperate installs to run from inside Windows and from a bootable pen drive, or can one version do both? (and if so, which one?)

Well it is possible to do it, but you need to go all round the houses...
It is also possible to get a "5-way" install up and running, and this lets you boot dsl either natively or via QEMU from inside Windows or another Linux OS.  For this method, first download dsl.iso and then burn a DSL cd-r disk.  Then boot into DSL and choose Apps -> Tools -> Install to Pendrive -> USBHDD install (I prefer it to USBZIP unless your BIOS only supports USBZIP booting). Then after compeleted, download the 5-way install script from the dsl download site and run it on your pendrive. It will then download and install the embedded version.
Why do I need to waste a cd-r - couldn't they just do a version that installs directly to pendrive and does the 5-way thing all in one? :hmmm:

Oh well, hopefully in not very long I'll be able to carry a whole operating system around in my pocket. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:22:25 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »

You could have used a CD-RW...  I run mine from a business card CD, which is what DSL was designed for after all.

Talking of the critters, my bootable pendrive features an entirely home-brew LFS build, has been heavily encrypted, and contains a few databases, updated regularly.  And from that you should be able to work out what I made it for (the pendrive is jet black, as a further hint).

And you might want to split this topic into a new Linux one, as it is certainly an area worthy of discussion.  Heck, we might convert someone. (Yellowdog, Lanair?)

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 01:27:48 PM »

I don't have any CD-RWs Sad

A business card disc is a better choice, because more machines will support booting from it, and it's probably easier to carry round (since I almost always have my wallet with me)
Going to be ordering some hardware soon (printer, dvd±r/w), so I'll get one/some then.

Does LFS allow you to/help you with creating custom GUIs? If so, maybe my perfectly intuitive OS is a step closer... Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:28:50 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 10:44:19 PM »

The best one for that is Gentoo ( also here ).  To go further than that, you'll need to grab the KDE manuals and Use the Source.

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »

/me wonders what SS and Hornet are up to :huh:
I'd be willing to try and convert to SS's OS :cool: (I've never used Linux before)

*was here
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: