BPsite Forums
May 02, 2024, 08:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: weird intermittent internet problem  (Read 4312 times)
smi256

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:48:00 AM »

Alright, I’m not happy about this weird intermittent internet problem that my computer has.
It would seem that some sites just won’t load on my computer.  EX: hotmail, ebay, yahoo mail, my ISPs web site doesn’t even work
I’ve tried:
1) firefox and Iexplorer
2) I plugged in another HD and installed everything onto it.  So I effectively formatted my computer without losing anything.  I just plug in my normal HD to revert back to normal.
3) Disabled my firewall
4) I also set my router to DMZ

I just can’t figure out why I can’t get to some sites and yet others work just fine…
Suggestions please  :miffed:

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:12:44 PM »

Could be a DNS problem.
The way to test that would be:
1) Get the IP addresses for those sites and when they don't work try the IP.
2) Try accessing the sites via a proxy server, eg: http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Also, try doing a tracert (start>run, type "cmd", type "tracert www.hotmail.com") and seeing if it is getting stuck at a specific point.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »

I still have no clue as to what went wrong…but I broke down and called my ISP’s tech support for help.  Though he didn’t know what the problem was, I asked him to fix a different problem that I had been having; which was that my modem got set to ‘bridge’ mode, so that my router had to tell the modem how to sign on to my ISP.  But in fixing that problem, my problem of going to some sites was fixed…
What confuses me is that I’ve had this set up (with the router telling the modem to sign on) for a long time and I didn’t have the problem of not being able to see some sites…
So… I give up; I don’t know what happened, all I know is that some how changing the settings on the computer and modem or some sort of combination of the two has resolved the problem… :blink:  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 07:31:30 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 03:29:30 AM »

I lost my internet completely for a while there… Wink
It turns out that some information in my modem was corrupt and my router (linksys) is dead…
So I no longer have a network Sad  , but I now have internet Smiley
*knocks on wood :paranoid:

I wonder if my problems from before have anything to do with the nonsense I have to put-up with now  <_<  

*was here
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 06:19:34 PM »

like I said, I can connect directly to my modem and get to the internet that way, but for the life of me I can't get the router to work (which means I didn't need to send it away to be fixed, cuz it wasn't broken).  I've ended up taking a different harddrive and installed XP on it, it seems to work just fine (router and internet and all), so I copy all the settings, make note of what servises are running and settup my normal computer to be just like it... but still no go.  I guess I'll be installing all my stuff again when ever I have time (or when I don't want to be studing for finals and stuff Tongue )
I really don't understand... :unsure:

I've getten really good at installing everything and setting up networks/routers/modems because of nonsense like this :ph34r:  

*was here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: