BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:28:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a Computer  (Read 197250 times)
Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2003, 08:33:28 PM »

I cant find a good pc around 700 bucks, can someone help :blink:  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2003, 05:29:33 AM »

are you willing to buy parts and assemble one yourself? It's the cheapest way to go and you'll get exactly what you want; you won't have to settle for what the company offers. I and several of the other techies here could offer some assistance in the assembly process if you needed it, and theres some walkthroughs on how to assemble a pc if youre up for it.

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2003, 06:59:07 AM »

Sounds cool but I dont have a place to get the parts  Sad  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2003, 07:47:23 AM »

online. www.pricewatch.com

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2003, 11:57:43 PM »

you would have to tell me what to buy. Smiley  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2003, 05:00:35 AM »

Well first things first: If youre not looking to spend a lot, Intel CPUs and NVidia GFX are out of the question.  
An AMD Athlon XP 1800 runs at 1.53 ghz, only costs $50.
An ATi Radeon 8500 will run around $70.
PC2100 DDR Ram 256mb - $31, 512mb - $64.  
60gb Western Digital Hard Drive - $55.
Asus A7S333 Mobo - $55
Soundblaster Audigy - $50 (optional, mobo has built in sound, but audigy is much nicer)
Ethernet card - $10 (only if you use broadband)
Lite-On 40x10x40 cdrecorder - $31
Samsung 48x cdrom - $17 (only need it if you want to do direct cd-to-cd copies w/o copying to hard drive first)
case - $20-30 for a cheap generic one, $50-100 for a nice one

add that up and see if you like the price  Cheesy  there's still some other things (cables, keyboard, mouse, speaks) but that stuff doesn't cost too much, and you could always use your current ones if ya wanted.

Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2003, 08:54:12 AM »

*writes it all down* damn thats kool man but i would need somebody to do it for me and thats a hassel, but i might consider. Today i went to costco and saw a emachine with 2400 AMD xp processor, 512mb ddr and S3Prosavage8. It comes with a cd/rw and dvd drives, speakers subwoofers, keyboard, mouse, and a 17" flat panel monitor. Does that sound cool or should i just build my own.  :unsure:  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2003, 05:20:58 PM »

whats the price for that? and s3savage sucks, can you upgrade that?  ya know, you could always find a small computer store (not a place like best buy, circuit city, etc. some small privately owned place) and have them build one for you. You still get to pick what you want, without all the bs the big companies give. emachines isnt as bad as the rest, but they still irritate me.

crazyboi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2003, 09:07:38 PM »

do you live in cali? or what? just find a fry's or another good site is newegg.com ^_^
Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2003, 06:24:52 AM »

yeah i live in cali  Smiley  but frag where i live we dont have personally business owned place  <_<  i think im gonna get the emachine.  :unsure:  oh yeah and the price is $629.99 thats pretty cool. Smiley  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2003, 06:31:46 AM »

none? you're not looking hard enough, there's gotta be one somewhere. look in the yellow pages, probably under computer repair. most likely sales will list major companies, repair should have the smaller businesses. personally, id recommend looking into a custom-built (even if not self-built) computer over any preassembled one, but....... *shrugs* your money.

Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2003, 03:32:51 PM »

but i can always change the pre-assembled one right? like upgrades and other stuff.

dead -_-'    
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2003, 03:36:14 PM »

Yeah, probably. But best to start with a base that suits your needs.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Yaza2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2003, 08:16:51 PM »

yeah i think im gonna stick to the emachine thanx guys  Cheesy  

dead -_-'    
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2003, 09:31:42 PM »

but i can always change the pre-assembled one right? like upgrades and other stuff.
within limits. I dunno bout emachines, but some companies put special adapters and stuff in their systems so you have to upgrade through them. again, limiting your options and forcing you to spend more than necessary. and their systems usually arent meant to be easy to work inside like a custom system--wires everywhere, hard to access stuff, no rolled edges=cuts, etc. but once again.....your money.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: