BPsite Forums
April 20, 2024, 01:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a Computer  (Read 197254 times)
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 08:13:44 PM »

go get a job as a stuard whatever u call em that works on a plane. eventually you'd end up over there.

hopefully Tongue  

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2003, 07:12:20 PM »

LOL air fares...i dont know about that one...but...m a y b e i could coax my dad into helpin me out...like a father son bonding thing and use him...that would be nice...its kind of awkward to ask your friends brother to help you build a Pc...LOL...maybe ill look around school and see if i cant find anyone...when school starts anyway...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2003, 12:34:36 AM »

o m g...i got a computer (compaq persario 7180) with a WHOLE 100 mhz and 32 mb ram!!! Wohoo...i think...anyways...i get it all setup and boot it up...after i get my bro to put in an ethernet card...he installs the drivers and everything...so i open up internet explorer and!!! it doesnt work...err...what should i do...i have dsl in this house and 56k is out of the question...should i like get a new ethernet? or what?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
PandaBear007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2003, 02:10:35 AM »

WEEEE!!! I'm getting a DELL!!!

Dell Dimension XPS - 3.0 GHz CPU, 1 GB memory, 128 bit video card....SWEET!!!!!!!!  LOL

:cool:  

Army of ONE.....I am the Orc Hunter/Killer
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2003, 12:37:10 PM »

so i open up internet explorer and!!! it doesnt work...err...what should i do...i have dsl in this house and 56k is out of the question...should i like get a new ethernet? or what?
First question - is the ethernet card connected to the network server/hub/router.

Second: If so, are you using the correct sort of cable: there are two types, straight and crossover, I think you need the latter for DSL.

Next: Are other computers connected? If so are you able to swap you ethernet card with theirs, and see if either computer can connect.
(if yours can, the card is broken; if yours cannot, the card probably isn't broken but your machine/settings are; if theirs cannot (but could before) then the card is broken; if theirs can still connect, the card works and your machine/settings are not correctly setup).

Finally: What version of Windows have you got running on your 'new' machine?

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2003, 08:31:22 PM »

1. router

2. ehh...not sure...

3. swapping would take some time...so i cant answer that cuzz my bro prolly wont wanna participate...

4. win98

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2003, 08:47:12 PM »

Okay, make sure everything is plugged in & switched on, then open IE and type http://192.168.254.254 into the address bar. If that gives an error, try 192.168.0.1. Also, make sure that if you have a firewall installed, that you have it turned off, or at least allowing all traffic through.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2003, 10:03:29 PM »

an internal error occured in the windows internet connects...thats what i says when i try those addresses...im not quite sure what it means :/

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2003, 10:15:32 PM »

Internal Error... that's both good and bad.

Good because it means the problem is before the network.
Bad because I am not actually sure where the problem is.

Does going to other web pages ( http://www.yahoo.com/ or http://127.0.0.1/ ) give the same or a different error?

Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2003, 11:25:18 PM »

yeah...going to any web pages gives the same error...and when i open ie...it starts off with this navigator thing...even when i put a home page on

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2003, 12:39:53 PM »

Hmmm, what do you mean by "navigator thing"? :miffed:

Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2003, 07:51:03 PM »

lemme explain...

the address is about:NavigationCanceled

Navigation  Canceled

+ Helpful Hints

+ More Information

is what the site looks like

those links describe the errors that might have occured with page loading...like...if you were going to a page on clicked stop  :hmmm:  

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2003, 08:51:52 PM »

Hmmm, I'm going to have to consult with the Networking Gods and see if they can help with finding a solution.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2003, 09:23:27 PM »

Oooh, something I should have asked already...

Open Device Manager (WinKey+Pause, select from there somewhere) then look down to Network adapters.
Clicking the plus should expand the list to show your ethernet card.
Double-click (or Right-click:properties) and check the Device status box - does it have anything in there?

Also, try checking the Resources tab to see if any conflicts are listed, if there are then we'll work on how to remove them, but hopefully there wont be.

Oh, and if you could post the name of your ethernet card (which will be near the top of the properties window), that would also be useful.

Thusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2003, 04:31:17 AM »

device status - everything is working properly

conflicts - none

name of ethernet: D-Link DFE-350TX+PCI adapter

thanx a bunch so far SS...i owe you

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: