BPsite Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:45:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lockpicking  (Read 7726 times)
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »

Anyone into it, and any thoughts if so?

Have taken it up myself recently, is fun & rather interesting.  Also legal, contrary to popular belief. Smiley  I mostly do pin & tumbler (yale-style), but have done a two-lever mortice before, as I needed to get past it ... simple in theory but took ages as I didn't have proper picks.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »

So it's legal for me to wander down the street picking locks, so long as I don't actually break in? Huh

I've thought it might be interesting, and a useful skill to be able to do, but never actually tried it.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:16:40 PM »

Legal to do it to your own locks, that is, or locks you have permission to pick.  A lot of people assume lockpicks are flat-out illegal, which isn't the case; you do need to have 'good reason' to be carrying them around with you though.  A hobby might suffice as long as you don't have gloves and a swagbag too. Smiley

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

A hobby might suffice as long as you don't have gloves and a swagbag too.

Heh. At this time of year, I always have my gloves with me, and routinely carry an empty canvas bag in my shoulder bag, in case I need extra storage.

Of course, there should be no reason for the police to actually stop/search me, but then with all the "anti-terror" crap the government currently permits, you can't be sure. Undecided

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »

Anti-terror laws only let them search when there's a threat.

Where'd you get the canvas bag?  I've been after a strong bag that'll flatpack, have yet to actually find one though. :\

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:04:29 AM »

Well yeah, but contriving a "threat" isn't too difficult. Although I'm probably just being overly paranoid. Smiley

The bag came from a programming conference back in 2006.

According to the label it is from Westford Mill, and appears to be one of these - my version has slightly longer handles, and I've stitched some velcro to the top so it can be closed.

Doesn't look like you can order directly, but only £2 on Amazon, and potentially cheaper if you shop around.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:03 AM »

Ha.  Embarrassed

Anti-terror laws only let them search when there's a threat.

Take a photo of police, soldier, or secret agent - in all cases current or former, and you're not just searchable; you're arrestable.

Now whilst you'd (hopefully) have to actually be doing bad stuff to receive the full ten year sentence for that, if a moody officer decides to take offence to some street photography, and finds gloves, bag, and lockpicks ... well it probably doesn't take an imagined leap over an underground barrier to get labelled as a terrorist. Undecided
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:52:41 AM by SS » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: