BPsite Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:38:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox Questions  (Read 5499 times)
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »

Okay, this is going to seem ever so slightly nuts but please bear with me.  I've had a rather good idea (it may even be a brilliant one :blink:), but can't go into details just yet, lest it be stolen.

First though, I need to run a small survey, and you lot have just volunteered. Tongue Please go into as much detail as you have time to. Smiley

Do you use Firefox, and why?  If not, why not?

What features (if any) do you lack in FF that you have in other browsers?  Do you have any extensions to provide that functionality?

Which extensions do you use, and would you rate them Okay, Useful, Very Useful or Essential?  Please add comments about each if applicable.

Any other comments about it, or browsers in general?

Thanks for your time.   Smiley  

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:25:28 PM »

No replies...?  :unsure:

This will be of great use to me, but I do need a spot of input.  Please take a few minutes.

Many pre-emptive thanks.  Smiley  

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »

I use Firefox because (it's not M$) it lets me restore sessions when something goes wrong, has a more manageable password manager, it also lets me play with plug-ins:
CustomizeGoogle - Okay
DownloadThemAll! - Essential
OnlineBookmarkManager Synchronizer - Useful
Ook - Okay
PDF Download - Essential
Video Download - Okay

What I don't like about Firefox is that it takes up so much memory when it's running, my computer can't really take much abuse.

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »

>> Do you use Firefox, and why? If not, why not?

I use Firefox because:
1) IE is an unsecure pile of non-compliant shite.
2) I'm more used to FF's flaws than Opera's flaws.

>> What features (if any) do you lack in FF that you have in other browsers?
Good memory management.
Ability to have seperate instances.
A print preview that isn't shit.

>> Do you have any extensions to provide that functionality?
Nope.

>> Which extensions do you use, and would you rate them Okay, Useful, Very Useful or Essential? Please add comments about each if applicable.
Web Developer Toolbar - Essential for web development, useful for regular browsing (eg: to turn off JavaScript on fuckwitted sites that try to prevent right click/etc)
Firebug - Essential for web development, otherwise not.
Bug Me Not - Useful; would be more so if it worked properly (so I didn't have to use the bookmarklet instead 75% of the time).

Got others but nothing that I actively use, except for a couple of cookie editors at work, both very useful for when doing session/client stuff.

>> Any other comments about it, or browsers in general?
Yep. It's a pile of shit, but marginally less so than Opera. I wish I could do internet stuff in OSX so I could find out if Safari is the one browser that isn't a pile of shit, or if it's just as bad as all the rest.
I really do hate that people put up with such rubbish browsers, and web apps in general.
I can't wait until we get browsers supporting CSS3, 'cus that's got some really cool stuff in it. Hopefully it wont be a case of having to add hacks and workarounds for IE by then, but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Um, that's all I can write for now; I'm a bit tired. Feel free to ask me to extrapolate on anything... can probably write more when I'm not falling asleep.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:11:23 AM »

What I don't like about Firefox is that it takes up so much memory when it's running, my computer can't really take much abuse.
It's not your computer - I've got a 2GHz Core Duo with a gig of memory - I used to have dozens of IE windows on my D600 with only half a gig, but on this machine Firefox struggles if I have just a dozen.

Oh and another annoyance about Firefox - if I put "firefox one two" into the Run dialog, instead of searching for "one two" like IE does, it opens a seperate tab for each word (despite having tabs disabled) and searches them seperately. And that's here - at work the stupid thing assumed they are both URLs and tries going to one.com and two.com

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: