BPsite Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:27:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which browser do you use?
Firefox 2.0 - 5 (83.3%)
IE7 - 0 (0%)
Firefox 1.5 or older - 1 (16.7%)
IE6 or older - 0 (0%)
Mozilla - 0 (0%)
Opera - 0 (0%)
Lynx - 0 (0%)
Safari - 0 (0%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Cheese - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Name thy browser  (Read 4786 times)
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:27:34 AM »

Now that both FF2 and IE7 are out, what browser(s) do you use, and why?

For my part, I'm still sticking firmly with Firefox 2, as although IE7 does have some nice features they're already present in Firefox and have been for some time, even if some are via extensions.

Also, IE7 is new, and given Microsoft's security history, I think it's better to wait a month (until the next Black Tuesday) until the initial gaping holes are fixed before I use it too much.  (I have yet to test it with my home-made websites, but I'm prepared to bet that it'll mean yet more strange kludges to cater to the thing.)

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »

Firefox 2, by virtue of all other Windows browsers having flaws too big to put up with, and still not having Mac drivers for my u132. (note to self: go investigate that later tonight).
Not sure if I'll use Safari or Camino or something else when I can go online in OSX.

I haven't even bothered downloading IE7 yet - and I wont do until Microsoft make it a mandatory upgrade and thus 'normal' users actually bother to get it, and hence I'll need to start testing my sites with it.

I might use Lynx for some stuff if I could get the blasted thing to work. :angry:

Sometimes I use Opera for downloading, because the default FF download manager is a pile of steaming turd and its easier to launch Opera than go sorting through the FF download addons. Tongue

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »

*Ahem*

The default download manager is rather useless, I agree.  Although you can download links by dragging them to the downloads window, which has to be the most useless feature Firefox has going.  (That said, the menu option 'open location' is also highly redundant.)

IE7 was announced yesterday, I think, via Windows Update.  Mine's set to notify only, so I'm not sure if it would have auto-installed if the updater was left at the default 'let M$ do whatever the hell they like to your PC' option.  Either way, the ignorant masses now have it available to them.  Although the main PC - with the same update settings as my laptop - was informed via Windows Update that IE7 was available, and upon being told to download it (all via the system tray method), appeared to start doing so, but was then never heard from again.  So perhaps there's a mistake in the installer.)

If / when you do get the Mac online, use Camino.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:48:13 PM by Hornet » Logged

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »

Hmmm, haven't had it at work yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've disabled it - we've got too many browser-based systems that may react violently to it.
Haven't had it at home 'cus I've got Windows Update turned off completely.

But good to know I'll soon be able to make proper use of PNGs without resorting to crappy hacks.

Just installed that addon... now I just need to go download some stuff to test it. Smiley

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: