BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:06:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux  (Read 5642 times)
smi256

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »

I've just about had it.  No, I've just had it.  I'm migrating to Linux.  Windows is pissing me off just too much for me to stick with it.  I'm now turning to you guys in the hope that you'll have a recourses about which Linux to use and equivalent programs needed in everyday use.

For some reason I can't post my list of programs.  We'll have to wait for SS :miffed:  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:50:58 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:00:58 PM »

Screw Linux. I recommend Darwin Unix - by which I mean OS X. Cheesy

Why can't you post your list of programs? Is it causing the ISE, or something else?

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »

a Mac... :miffed:
I get this:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@old.bpsite.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.36 Server at old.bpsite.net Port 80

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 10:15:41 PM »

Well it doesn't have to be a Mac - you can put it onto x86 machines now.
It avoids all the horrible trying-to-figure-out-how-to-do-incredibly-simple-things that you get with Linux.

Trying to get to the error logs to see if anything has been reported, but the bloody thing is going painfully slow. Sad

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »

I managed to DL (despite the shit internet connection where I live now) the Linux distribution called Ubuntu.  If I don't get more HW tonight (and if I manage to finish off what I already have) I'll partition my hard drive and install it.
Oh it's like a geek x-mas!! :santa:

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »

Good choice. I think Ubuntu is popular; I know a fair few people who use it, and haven't heard a great deal of discussion about other distributions recently.

I can't remember if I got anywhere with the error logs, but want to try posting your list of programs again?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:18:58 PM by SS » Logged

Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

Hmm, a double post... with quite a gap between them, but the same typo.  *baffles*

Ubuntu is popular because it only uses truly free (just Open Source etc) software, and as it's fairly unique in this it's recieved a lot of publicity, and an overblown reputation.  As a result of that though, it has since attracted a load of developers, and thus improved a lot as a result.  So as long as you don't want to view anything made by a corporation (such as Flash animations, PDF files, and any A/V media that uses one of several key codecs, for example), you'll probably be fairly happy.  ^^

Although, you can download the 'missing' components from elsewhere, and as it's based on Debian (as are most Linux distros, seemingly) most Debian stuff will run on it without too much hassle.

Personally, I'd recommend SuSE or Slackware - there are LiveCDs available that you can use to test both, I believe.  When downloading distros use BitTorrent, as it's _far_ faster than HTTP.  I'd suggest Azureus.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 05:20:16 AM »

for right now I'm on the school's network, which blows.  So I'm just trying to find replacement programs that I can't bring from my Windows OS to Linux.  Any particular reason you support SuSE and Slackware?
I was sort of looking at Hardened Gentoo.  I just haven't gotten around to looking into it much more then the Wiki info Wink  

*was here
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 07:22:30 AM »

Which programs are you after replacements for?  Also, WINE can handle most Windows programs.

Gentoo = bleh.  When you've used Linux for a while, then think about it.  It's a royal pain to set up, takes a lot of tweaking, especially for laptops, and it takes _ages_ to compile and install.  Although I haven't installed it in about a year, so it might be easier now.  

To be honest, I'm just rather fond of them. :hehe:  Slackware's a good general purpose distro, and very stable.  I haven't used SuSE for a while, except for the odd LiveCD, but it's aimed more towards the business end of the market.  It's easy to install though, comprehensive, and supports most hardware (although you'll need to download some codecs).

With Linux, beware of downloading too much, as you can very easily clutter yourself with many different programs, all free, and all good, but also all doing the same thing.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: