BPsite Forums
April 25, 2024, 05:35:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you like to think?  (Read 6852 times)
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but now that I'm a co-mod I suppose I better make the effort to actually do it...

Is anyone here interested in a forum themed on thinking. That is to say, there is such a forum; would anyone like to join it?

The place is growing slowly, so there's not a huge amount of discussion at the moment, but existing topics range from creating an ideal government and the implications of nanotechnology, to discussions about religion and spirituality, and pretty much anything that is designed to engage the brain goes.

Here's the forum description written by the owner:
Idea Playground.

Thought Studio.

Rise above the dominant paradigms in culture and in your own mind, like seeing the world from a satellite instead of in an atlas.

Here is a place for your mind to wander, wonder and ponder with logic and cohesion -- but without losing a sense of play.

Think, extrapolate, pontificate.

Play.

Learn, grow, think up new ideas. Replace archaic beliefs.

We do the above in forums once in a while and since those are my favorite threads, I have decided to create a forum geared toward those conversations.

If you are here to learn something new then you have come to the right place.

Bend your mind, blend beliefs and stretch your imagination.

Idea Studio.

Thought Playground.

Come Play.

I'm not going to post the actual URL (to help prevent those pesky spam bots from finding it), but if anyone is interested either post here or PM or email me and I'll send the address for you to have a look.

Oh yeah, one final word of warning for the weirdos with bad taste - it's a Beehive-based place. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:12:36 AM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:27 AM »

wierdo? bad taste? hmmm

problem with politics and religion is that it always descends into bickering. if there any science stuff on there id like to take a crack, i promise to behave...try to

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
Galmort

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:46:58 AM »

sounds cool, but i wouldn't find the time...
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »

A faster method of finding it would be to Google the blatently quoted bit - it's the first result.  After a brief poke about, I'm not sure that I'm too interested; mostly due to the Beehive part of it.  Perhaps adding a board on here for that sort of stuff might be a better approach...?

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:21:21 PM »

Heh, you're too predictable; I knew you'd do that.

I've been planning on adding a similar BSPITE-based board when I get the new version of the site done (it'll be sometime before the fourth world war, i promise!)
You should give Beehive a try though - it really is a superior technology and interface. Trust me, I'm a doctor uh... scientist. Heh, never really thought of that.

sounds cool, but i wouldn't find the time...

Yeah, that's a common problem, people not having time. Sad

if there any science stuff on there id like to take a crack, i promise to behave...try to
There's a couple of science related article links I think, but no real discussions. You're welcome to start them though. Or topics on anything you like... ummm.... well, anything that doesn't involve animals. Tongue

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:30:59 PM »

Well, that is one of the more obvious ways to find it.  Technically, I drag-dropped a quote ('Learn, grow...') into the Firefox title bar, and whapped enter.  Straight to it; gotta love Firefox.  Tongue

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »

I hate Firefox. It's crap. The only reason I use it is because all the other available browsers are even worse. Tongue

Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »

*Ahem*

Plain Firefox isn't that good, I'll admit; I have about 15 - 20 extensions.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 07:26:44 PM »

Plugins can't make up for the underlying shitness though - the fact that it forces you to use a single process, so if one window crashes, it takes the whole bloody lot of them down; the frequent refusal of cursor keys (arrows, home, end, etc) to work; the random ignoring of clipboard commands; the badly thought-out menus; and so on...

Although feel free to list the plugins that you use - the only one I've got at home is SiteAdvisor.
Got some web-dev ones at work, but their value is significantly lessened by their lack of usability, and I rarely find myself bothering with them (and indeed haven't even bothered installing them here).

A plugin that I would find very useful would be useful is an OSX/Exposé style thing - so I can press/hold F10 and have all the Firefox windows spread out, then click/release and have the selected one come to the front.
edit: found Showcase which is no where near as good as Exposé, but it'll do.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:29:47 PM by SS » Logged

mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 12:37:28 AM »

well, anything that doesn't involve animals.

what if its non sexual?

the fact that it forces you to use a single process, so if one window crashes, it takes the whole bloody lot of them down

same with iexplorer... i hate microsoft programs, theyre only made to annoy people who work in offices sadly they stress me out too  Sad  

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 01:03:33 AM »

Nuh-uh. with IE you can do Start>Run (WinKey+R) and type "iexplore old.bpsite.net/forums" and it will create a new process to run the forums in, so even if your other IE windows crash, the one you created is safe.
With Firefox, typing "firefox old.bpsite.net/forums" will force you to use the same process.

Non-sexual is probably fine, although it depends on what your definitions of non-sexual are. Tongue

Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 02:46:06 AM »

I use Firefox on three different computers - all of which have different plugins.  This one (which I haven't overly customised) has adblock, FireFTP, VideoDownloader, Dictionary Tooltip, DTA, and Download Statusbar.  The others have web dev stuff, ScriptBlock, FlashBlock... and several others, which I annoyingly can't remember.  I'll post them next time I use those ones.

Also, I've never had issues with Firefox ignoring keyboard commands...?  The nearest thing I can think of is that the focus is elsewhere - either not on Firefox, or not in the body of the page.  Try clicking once in the middle of the page in question next time it plays up, then try using the keyboard.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:32:23 PM by Hornet » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: