BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 11340 times)
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:04:12 AM »

Haha!  Lanair has a new powerbook G4 (laptop) to take to school! And it only cost like $ 2,500.  Coupled with my 100 gigabyte external hard drive, I might now have enough space for all of my music.  Cheesy

So does anyone else find mac OS 10.4 fun and easy to use?    Smiley  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:18:50 AM »

MAC?   I have no idea, MAC...
External hard drives are the way to go when using laptops.  Internals are really $$$ (apparently so are network drives).

*was here
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 11:43:15 PM »

Huh?  Internals aren't THAT expensive... I'm buying a Dell in December and an 80 gig internal hd (current hd is 26, so 80 is niiiiiice) comes for only about 90 USD more.  

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:16:56 AM »

:mellow:  I'm talking about laptop HDs...
I have two Western Digital 120GB "normal" HDs (internal 3.5" IDE), $50 each.  It's more then that, but a mail-in rebate brings it down.  All the space is so that I don't need to burn my DLs so often; but when I do, it takes a lot of time.
Note: I have no more money, I "wasted" it on my computer... :paranoid:
[edit]
Speaking of wasting money!! The Fry's Ads have some WD HDs
250GB UDMA/100 (normal) $120-30-20=$70
250GB SATA $140-30-20=$90
[/edit]

I have also found that 10GB is not enough for an OS partition... Sad all thanks to VS.NET, MSDN and Guild Wars...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 05:41:27 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 05:28:31 AM »

I know, Smi.  My bad, I should have been more specific - I'm planning on buying a Dell laptop.  I completely agree with you about externals having the most space, though.  With a firewire you don't notice a difference.

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »

What I want to know is how to find out the total run time of a computer.  Maybe CPU run time, cuz mine should be burnt to a crisp by now... :miffed:
My other computer sounds like it's power supply fan is going to die (the silly old thing is 250Watt I think)

*was here
Guest:perdition
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 09:52:42 PM »

Haha!  Lanair has a new powerbook G4 (laptop) to take to school! And it only cost like $ 2,500.  Coupled with my 100 gigabyte external hard drive, I might now have enough space for all of my music.  Cheesy

So does anyone else find mac OS 10.4 fun and easy to use?    Smiley
no.  i have to use it for my graphic design course and i can't stand it <_<  
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:15:10 AM »

Bah, Mac OS is easier to use than Windows... at least for a person who's used macs his entire life.  Just remember that macs have a great help function, or at least they did when I was 14.   LOL  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »

PC programs can have a great help function, but only if the people that made the program made a great help function... it's in the quality of the make.
Sometimes it pisses me off when I (in the few times that I do) press F1 for the help menu... and don't get one :huh:  :blink:  Sad  <_<  :angry: jerks. :hmmm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:55:33 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »

The best system is one that doesn't require you to use the help section, because everything is instantly intuitive. Tongue

And I've not yet encountered an OS or application where that is the case, but I'll make one one day and become instantly rich and famous. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:57:46 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 07:39:09 PM »

The best system is one that doesn't require you to use the help section, because everything is instantly intuitive. Tongue

And I've not yet encountered an OS or application where that is the case, but I'll make one one day and become instantly rich and famous. Cheesy

Invent pen and paper. Tongue

(Ye Gods, this is my first utterly useless post.)

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
Guest:perdition
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »

I don't need help with it.  I just find it completely counter intuitive (and dorky looking)
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 09:00:16 PM »

My friend came to me with a computer problem, he wanted a new 300GB HD installed.  I thought it was just going to be a jumper problem, but no… he got it in himself and used the Seagate CD… lets just say that the thing crashed and both HDs were no more…
I did a data recovery on his old HD (turns out it was the cause of the crash, I think) and in stalled the new OS on the new HD.  Turns out that the maximum size of a hard drive is 137GB, I updated his BIOS and ended up installing SP2.  now he has a 280GB some odd HD. Sweet :cool:
What I want to know is, how can the OS see the whole HD without installing SP2 or some annoying software.  Is there something like a regedit method or patch?

[Update]  (I'm trying not to double post here) Wink
I get to make a new compy for my friend’s sis. It’s not going to be a gaming machine, but that’ll make it all the more fun to see what kind of quality parts I can get for (almost) as little money are possible.  I figure if I can get the pieces I was looking at, the price will be some thing like, a little over $260 (tax and all), and I don’t think there are any mail-in rebates, I hate those (those ATI bastards better give me my $50)
If this doesn’t convince most (if not everyone) that I’m a computer geek, I don’t know what will
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 09:00:47 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

$260? Isn't that like £150? Grats if you can get enough stuff to make a PC with that!

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 05:58:34 PM »

What I want to know is, how can the OS see the whole HD without installing SP2 or some annoying software.  Is there something like a regedit method or patch?
If you partition it first (using a non-Windows partition tool, obviously) then it should work.

Knoppix can come in handy for situations like this - it's a Linux distrubution that runs off a bootable CD, so you can easily partition the HD without having to worry about using it...

And yeah, $260 seems like an incredibly small amount to build a computer with - although if you can use an existing monitor/mouse/etc it might be okay.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: