BPsite Forums
April 26, 2024, 06:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ram  (Read 8444 times)
Guest:Drauka
Ram
« on: June 28, 2005, 03:04:27 AM »

Er. So I opened up my box and plugged ina new ram chip beside my old ram chip...

then tried to detect new hardware. And it didn't come up.

....So?
RipperRoo

View Profile
Ram
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:44:19 PM »

Its RAM, just press the Win key and the Break key, and see if it shows the new value rather than the old one. I beleive RAM doesn't need windows to update any drivers/programs as it is controlled by the BIOS.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:44:41 PM by RipperRoo » Logged

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Ram
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »

What Ripper said.

If Windows isn't detecting it, then look in the BIOS for the memory check setting and turn it on. Once you restart you will then see the RAM being checked almost immediately (if you have a bootup splash screen, you'll need to hide that).
It should scroll up until it gets to the amount of memory you have in kB (ie: if you now have two 256MB sticks, it should go to 512MB - ie: 524288 kB)

If that doesn't work, ensure that both the RAM sticks are firmly in place and try again.
If they already are then remove your old RAM and try again with only the new one inserted.

If that doesn't work then let me know, because most likely Ripper is right and I don't want to waste time typing useless information. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:56:51 PM by SS » Logged

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Druaka
Ram
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »

Well, it doesnt show up when I goto properties. Right click my computer, etc.

But, you're saying it wil show up on the screen that flashes all those numbers for about ten seconds and disappears when my computer starts up?
smi256

View Profile
Ram
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 06:55:41 AM »

/me wants to add his two cents too Tongue
You can pause the boot up by pressing the Pause/Break key. Press space (or any key, I think, to continue).

You can't mix and match RAM much, they must be the same type (both Dim, both DDR), and it wouldn't work to have your older RAM stick trying to run at the too fast rate that your new RAM can run at...  (Ex: if you have an old stick that runs at PC2100 and a new stick of PC3200, you have to run at PC2100.  I tried to run faster, but the slow RAM didn't get counted)
I heard that is rare cases that sometimes having different brand RAM sticks won't work, is that true? I've never had that happen to me; maybe that was in the old days....(?)

*was here
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
Ram
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 05:52:09 PM »

/pops head in

Not to interrupt anything, but is what ripper said accurate for macs too (since I'm planning on either getting more ram for this computer, or my new one, when it comes)?  :miffed:  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Ram
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »

Dunno; I didn't think you could get additional RAM for Macs.

But theoretically it's probably the same, so I'd guess yes.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Guest:Drauka
Ram
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:20:17 PM »

Well I have a 64 chip in, and I put a 128 in the slot beside it.
smi256

View Profile
Ram
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 04:39:49 AM »

try having only the 128MB stick (must be in slot one)
/me sends Drauka another stick of RAM
I have a few around here somewhere...

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Ram
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 01:21:11 PM »

Yikes!

64 is almost nothing.

What type of RAM is it? (Look on the chips, it should mention it somewhere)

If it's a SIMM then you'll need to use two identical chips (ie: 64+64 or 128+128), but DIMMs can be mixed up (ie: 64+128).

Ram
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 05:08:21 PM »

I'll mess with it when I have more free time, I haven't had the chance to yet.

Leave my 98 hp alone! It is a beast!
smi256

View Profile
Ram
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 08:41:23 PM »

more like a bear... <_<  

*was here
smi256

View Profile
Ram
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »

I found 5 sticks of SDRAM, all are PC100.  I know that three of them are 64MB, and two are unknown (probably 64, but might be 128).  I don’t think my computer can even use this type of RAM.  If you can use it, that’d be great.

*was here
Akuard
Ram
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 03:35:11 AM »

Oi! Don't make fun of my computer. It runs far better than most of my friends who have brand new computers with Windows XP. Holy shit is their crap slow. My computer boots up in about twenty seconds, and I never have to wait for a webpage to load, or a folder to open.

Fast, Old, Effecient.  
Arkanor

View Profile WWW
Ram
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 04:51:37 AM »

Well, old anyway.

Being a good example is hard.  I’m trying to serve as a horrible warning instead.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: