BPsite Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:42:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: BitTorrent  (Read 10263 times)
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2005, 05:54:38 AM »

I just discovered the joys of this software, but I have a few questions, if one of you computer geeks can help...  Smiley

-My brother told me not to download more than 10 gigs of stuff per month or my ISP will notice and charge for it/get pissed... is that true?

-How can I upload music onto the network for other people to download, or is that not possible?

-Is it overly bad if I download from a source that has yellow or red bars (i.e. very few seeders)?

/finished, for now.  Smiley  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:54:20 PM »

i think i can answer some of those questions.

if a torrent has less seeds, it should just mean that it will take a bit longer to download.

for uploading stuff, idk, i just leave my torrent open for a little while to help other folks.
dunnoh about totally new files though. : (

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:08:37 PM »

My brother told me not to download more than 10 gigs of stuff per month or my ISP will notice and charge for it/get pissed... is that true?

Depends on your ISP - some have limits that will prevent you doing that, some will just monitor and shout at you if you download too much, and some might pass your details onto the RIAA who will try to sue you for every cent you have.

Safest option is to trust your brother.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 11:30:04 PM »

I'm downloading all my stuff from torrentspy.com, btw, and the site says it's perfectly legal and safe.  Have you heard any bad things about the site before?  :miffed:  

-Que sera, sera.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 03:24:49 AM »

Bittorrent (or whatever client you’re using)
What client do you guys use anyways?

A few things about torrents:
* If you’re DLing illegal stuff, then it’s illegal, only if you get caught though
* If you only get a red or yellow light, then you might need to setup your firewall and/or firewall router to allow bittorrent access to the internet on the ports that it needs.  (one port per DL)
* Because there are no seeders doesn’t mean you can’t get the whole file (“also seeing ## complete copies”)
* When you finish DLing leave the window open so other people can get the file
* When you finish DLing and there are few or no seeders, please seed (or even super seed)

I've found myself going to boxtorrents and ISOhunt for my torrents  Smiley  

*was here
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:17:56 AM »

If you’re DLing illegal stuff, then it’s illegal, only if you get caught though

The site is in compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which makes it probably legal-ish. :unsure:

When you finish DLing and there are few or no seeders, please seed (or even super seed)

What's super seeding?  And if I remember to, I usually keep my thing open for a few houes so people can DL from me. Smiley

Oh, and yeah, I use bittorrent, downloaded from The "Official Site". Cheesy

-Que sera, sera.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 06:44:26 AM »

If you’re downloading movies or software (that you would normally have to pay for…) then it’s illegal.  Otherwise I don’t know if I really care what the site says.  

I use BitTornado Smiley

*was here
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 02:11:08 PM »

Oh god how I loathe Bit Torrents, it is the most shitely developed method of downloading known to man. Why in the 7 hells would you choose to download something at 1kb/s or slower when you can get it off FTP for 125kb/s?
I mean, comeon, its so slow my friends 56k modem can DL something quicker than I can finish a torrent on 1meg BB!
Useless pile of junk, should be banned from existance and the inventor should be shot.

I hate it.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »

Ok, except that a) I can download some torrents at 20 kbps and b) FTP doesn't run on macs. :thumbs-up:

Besides, the general idea behind torrents is pretty cool from a scientific standpoint.  Tongue  

-Que sera, sera.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 05:47:24 AM »

RipperRoo, I think you were trying to get a poorly seeded/ file (lack of fast peers)
do you hate other forms or downloading such as Kazaa and eMule?

*was here
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »

Well I can't stand Kazaa, not cause of the download time, but cause most of the stuff doesn't work or is full of virii.
I use Ares, much better program, get DL speeds of 50kb/s+
Its only really Bit Torrents I'm against majorly.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:08:14 PM »

I still think that's odd.  I can get several gig in a day from bittorrent..
that doesn't max out my bandwidth, it's only 50 to 60% of it.

I normally get something like 25% of my bandwidth when DLing one torrent (I don't like, sit there and watch it ... normally  :unsure: )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 07:08:46 PM by smi256 » Logged

*was here
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 05:50:56 PM »

FTP doesn't run on macs.
Um, yeah it does? :miffed:

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 07:33:49 PM »

Um, yeah it does? :miffed:
Really?  I looked on Google, and one of the sites said it didn't.  Do you have a link perchance?  Smiley

Oh, random question- what the hell is a .flac file, and how do I open it?  <_<
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 07:34:28 PM by Lord Lanair » Logged

-Que sera, sera.
opperdude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 11:37:24 PM »

Oh god how I loathe Bit Torrents, it is the most shitely developed method of downloading known to man. Why in the 7 hells would you choose to download something at 1kb/s or slower when you can get it off FTP for 125kb/s?
I mean, comeon, its so slow my friends 56k modem can DL something quicker than I can finish a torrent on 1meg BB!
Useless pile of junk, should be banned from existance and the inventor should be shot.

I hate it.
if you got the rite client and the right settings you can pretty much dl at the speed your connection lets you... i haven't used it for a while now but like a month ago i allmost allways dlded with 300kb/sec and allmost no uploading with azureus, rarely get that speeds with limewire and kazaa and stuff...

'Joost, like juice but better' ~fire

happy now?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: