BPsite Forums
April 29, 2024, 12:04:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson: Airport Check-in Times  (Read 7019 times)
RipperRoo

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2004, 11:56:06 PM »

Comment: Jeremy Clarkson: Blame your airport wait on dim Darren and Julie
I guess we’ve all been through an airport at some point in the past few weeks and I guess we all turned up, as requested, two hours before the scheduled departure time. Why? It used to be one hour, so why is it now two? We’re told that airports need the extra time because, in the wake of September 11, stringent security checks have to be made. Ah, yes. September 11. The one-size-fits-all excuse for absolutely everything.

Sure, in America the twin towers thing has slowed down your rate of progress through an airport to the point where technically you are classified as a missing person.

This is because before the attacks Americans treated planes like we treat buses. Security was so slack — the airlines didn’t even have to match luggage to passengers, for instance — that I’m surprised Bin Laden’s suicide jockeys had to resort to Stanley knives. I’d have thought they could have boarded with a brace of AKs and a box of rockets.

Now, though, the pendulum has swung completely the other way. The Americans won’t let you on a plane until they’ve ruined your laptop, and half a dozen spaniels have had a good rummage round your shoes.

In the civilised world, however, where there are Red Brigades and Baader-Meinhofs, we have known all about hijackings for 30 years, so airports have always been run like nuclear research facilities. We’ve always been barraged with silly questions while checking in. Bags have always had to be matched to passengers before a plane can take off. And the policemen have always dressed up like Vin Diesel.

In fact the only difference, so far as I can tell, between European air travel pre-September 11 and post-September 11 is that now you have to leave all your cutlery in a big bin before being allowed on board. So why the two-hour check-in rule? It is a source of massive marital stress in this house. My wife insists on being there when asked, whereas I think 40 minutes is plenty.

I like to check in last, on the basis that the final bags to be loaded into the hold will be the first off at the other end, and I like to be greeted by a stewardess on the plane who tuts a lot and looks at her watch.

And here’s the killer. I’ve never missed a plane.

Deep down, I’ve always suspected that the two-hour rule is nothing more than airport authorities using the destruction of the World Trade Center as a means of getting us into their giant shopping malls for an extra hour so we can spend more on currency converters, oysters and inflatable pillows.

My wife, who as I write is packing for our Easter break, says I’m a cynic. So, okay then. If security remains the same and it has nothing to do with pre-flight retail therapy, why? Why does anybody think it takes two hours to walk from one side of a building to the other? Does it perhaps have something to do with obesity? Are we all now so enormous that we move at the pace of an earth mover? But with all the moving walkways at airports, I hardly think this is it. So why? In two hours, they could unpack and rebuild all the electrical appliances in my suitcase, perform keyhole surgery on my abdomen, do deep searches on all my relations and there’d still be enough time left to buy 200 fags and a tin of horrid Harrods shortbread. In two hours, I could park at Gatwick and have time to catch a plane from Manchester.

I suspect the answer may well be found by examining the class system. If you fly first or business, they tell you the check-in takes 60 minutes. It’s only people in cattle class who are asked to get there two hours before the plane’s due to leave.

On the face of it, this seems silly. Club-class people still have to get a boarding pass. Their bags still have to get to the plane. And don’t say the single fast-track lane moves any faster than the 400 channels for ordinary people because I assure you it doesn’t.

So why should a club-class passenger be capable of getting to the plane in an hour when people in the back need two? Are airport authorities suggesting that people at the back can’t read direction signs properly and get lost a lot? Are they saying people in thrifty cannot walk past a burger joint without being overwhelmed with a need to stuff their faces with chips? Are we to understand that the less well-off cannot tell the time? Well, let’s think. It’s always the Darrens and the Julies who have to be paged over the airport PA. And it’s only mouth breathers in football shirts who queue for half an hour for the x-ray machine and then empty their pockets of scissors and daggers. And when was the last time you saw a businessman fumbling around for his passport after he got to the immigration desk? I may be on to something here. They want you at the airport two hours early because in Brainless Britain everyone else is too thick to get to the plane any faster.

Perhaps a national IQ standard might be the answer. People from Mensa should be allowed to check in two minutes before the flight goes. Those with worryingly long arms must be there somewhat earlier.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 12:32:41 PM »

LOL great, but somewhat missing the point, no?

air port check in times in this country have always been in access of 2 hours nothigns changed there its juts so thta nasty que can all get through. unless your clever enough to buy premium tickets to which they open a whole new desk just for you so that everyone else can snarl and the women have to grab the leashes before their husband bound over to gnaw on your shins

Yiff Hunter says:
and the last question do u get a sudden eye twicth and shudder wen i say :

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
rite ive declared u imorally peasant like
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 02:18:53 PM »

Such a brilliant article.
You have to admit that things like trains, you just have to be there when it is, but with Aeroplanes, its stupid, why cant they open the side, and let us put our own baggage on, like bus', then everyone could just walk straight on and it would be fine.

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »

ok now your being stupid...

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 01:55:28 AM »

... such a stupid article.  <_<

Airport check-in times have always been 2 hours (at least for me, but I only fly international flights), and people in economy class need to be there earlier because there are so many of them, and consequently not enough check-in counters.  Business and first class passengers get private check-in places, and have generally a shorter waiting period.  Finally, it's taken us a long time to clear security some days, and if we hadn't been at the airport 2 hours early, we'd have been hard-pressed to catch our plane.  :hmmm:  

- I'm scissors.  Nerf rock.  Paper's fine.

-It's not the mind control that kills people; it's the fall damage.

-Que sera, sera.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 10:14:57 AM »

hey what? youve mimicked me but done a better job

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:34:51 AM »

I did add my own info, though.   Smiley

Ripper- go to Athens.... if you don't get to E.V. airport 3 hours early, you'll miss your flight.  Wink  

-Que sera, sera.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 05:47:03 PM »

actually when i was in menorca we had a 1h30 check in and 20mins after us arriving at the airport we were on the plain and 15 mins later in the air

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 03:20:16 AM »

Where's Menorca?  :huh:  

-Que sera, sera.
mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 10:19:44 AM »

Balearic islands, juts south of spain

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 06:32:27 PM »

By Mallorca and Ibiza.

mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 07:00:15 PM »

mejorca  :hmmm:  

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says:
Lord Lanair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 03:27:57 AM »

Your summer vacation? Smiley

I didn't realize they had an airport there!  LOL  

-Que sera, sera.
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 05:58:26 PM »

http://www.red2000.com/spain/baleares/
This wonderful group of islands is divided into Gimnesias (Mallorca, Menorca and Cabrera)
*Cough*

mole
Mods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 07:11:25 PM »

...how random

Yiff Hunter says:

CLEAN?
RipperRoo says:
yes
Yiff Hunter says: