BPsite Forums
April 25, 2024, 11:28:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rofl  (Read 5940 times)
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »

man, it's getting really sad watching my mom trying to type on the computer with her two fingers. she really is a busy person, and her slow typing really slows her down a lot. ive convinced her that if i can find something free online for her to use, then she'll give it a try.
what im asking is, does anybody know of a free sort of program that helps to teach typing?

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 10:34:51 PM »

My view is that you don't teach typing - you just keep practising and eventually you start to speed up and press keys with different fingers.

Other places claim you must use a certain finger for each key and only move your fingers (not your hands) but they're all idiots because I can type better than any of them! :sheep:

Tell her to stop thinking so much about pressing the keys - just do it.

And don't bother checking the screen to make sure the right character came up - it's not like a typewriter; with computers, when you press a key that character is displayed. So just get on with pressing the next key. Read what's on the screen after typing each paragraph.

Oh and learning the keyboard layout helps a lot. Qwerty-Uiop, Asdf'gh'jkl, Z-x-cvb'nm - that's like what I've got in my head.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 11:03:57 PM »

err...my mom wouldn't let me use the PC till i learnt the correct method of typing

practise is one thing...but i think always use the correct typing method...even if it takes longer at first...
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 11:27:15 PM »

Pffft. The correct method is different for everyone, because everyone has unique hands.

Typing is more of an art than a science - you should do what feels right, not what you're told is right.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 12:10:50 AM »

hands follow quite a regular pattern...I type the standard way...and i like to think do it fast

and even in art, blue and yellow makes green, always
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:18:25 AM »

Pffft. Colour-mixing isn't art. Selecting the right colours is the art. Tongue

I'm currently approaching the 150wpm boundary... can't wait until I've broken that, but I think it'll be a while.

I think the world record is 187wpm ... gimme a few years and I'll absolutely smash that to bits, and show you method-typers what real skill is. Wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:35:24 PM by SS » Logged

Uber Peasant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 01:33:00 AM »

practice. its how i learned. in fact i dont even look anymore, make some msitkaes and who cares. or get mavis beacon! its some stupid typing thing that our school once had, and im sure you can get it for free.

Everous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 10:38:26 PM »

Pffft. Colour-mixing isn't art. Selecting the right colours is the art. Tongue

I'm currently approaching the 150wpm boundary... can't wait until I've broken that, but I think it'll be a while.

I think the world record is 187wpm ... gimme a few years and I'll absolutely smash that to bits, and show you method-typers what real skill is. Wink
that said...the record typist dosen't use the "standard" method

the problem is, no doubt his mom feels very comfortable using 2 fingers on a keyboard...but its not helping her progress (assuming she wants to). The "standard" method should be taken as a good guide...except I've chosen to follow it absolutely...guess i'm just a rebel Tongue
Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 11:17:10 PM »

yeah my dad does that too.  really funny to watch.  he's getting better though.  there goes another source of entertainment Sad
underruler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 12:38:29 AM »

They tried to teach me how to type in 4th or 5th grade and I couldn't do it since they made us use these stupid "speed skins" where it hides what key you are hitting so you have to do the typing from memory of where the key is.

I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and and bananas.

http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?&HUG...hug=luvr_bunnie

[img]http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/count_hugs.cgi?hug=luv
Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 12:50:13 AM »

yeah they did that to us in 5th, 6th,and 7th grade. I was getting good but the teacher in 7th grade was such a bitch I stopped typing that way just to piss her off.  almost failed because of it. LOL  
xyph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 03:17:13 AM »

on yahoo games, there is a typing thing, she can practice typing on it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: