BPsite Forums
April 20, 2024, 08:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hosting question  (Read 5714 times)
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2004, 02:27:05 AM »

ok then. i got tired of the public school system and waiting for them to teach me html, i decided to teach myself.
ive already gotten a basic understanding of html. but that's not what this is about.
i was wanting to host this piece of crap website im making using my own computer.
1) how would i go about doing that? (im not expecting a whole lot of traffic, so that shouldnt be any problem).
2) what sort of strains could this potentially put on my computer? which parts?
ill add more if i can think of any other questions. Smiley  

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 02:32:55 AM »

Um, I assume you have at least a 512KB connection, 'cus you'll get nowhere with less than that.
For ease of setup/use, I recommend OmniSecure which is just a simple install and off you go.
It's not as configurable as Apache, but you don't need all that for just a regular website.
You'll probably also need a static IP address, so if you don't have one then get one from no-ip.org or dyndns.org or somewhere.
Oh, and you'll want to make sure you have a decent firewall in place, because you'd be a bigger target for hackers than a regular machine.
Um, strain-wise, your CPU, RAM and HDD are the only bits that should be affected, but unless you have complex server-side scripting and/or a lot of visits, you'll probably not notice any difference.

I think that covers everything, but others here can probably fill any gaps if I've left any, and obviously ask if you have questions. Smiley

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 02:47:08 AM »

thanks man, that should help out a bit Smiley
sadly, i just looked up the personal webpage policy for roadrunner/time warner cable.
it says that they do not allow you to host your own website. however, they do give you 5m of space for your own site. dunnoh what that exactly means, but if my internet ends up dieing, then i guess i violated the tos.
also, it tells me that i have a dynamic ip address, which i think means that it changes everytime i get online.
so yeah, ill look into that static ip address. if it gets to be too bad, ill just find a free web host somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 02:51:23 AM by evilknight » Logged

Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
FragMaster1972

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:24:33 PM »

if you have roadrunner cable, its static.
another option would be to find a crappy site like geocities, angelfire, etc, and put a page there. I think I'd try hosting it yourself and seeing what happens though rather than deal with their bs...

1 posts to [span style=\'font-size:30pt;line-height:100%\'][/s]BURSEG!!![/u][/size][/span][/b]
"If you ever find yourself on the side of the Majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain[/color]

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 12:57:59 PM »

oh. *smacks forehead* ok then.
then i guess all ill have to do is keep the stupid thing under 5mb then, and ill be fine.

SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:14:51 PM »

You'll struggle to get it over 5mb, if you're doing it properly. Tongue

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
GandalfTheOld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 02:17:33 AM »

upload good bits of huge quality images, and you'll be hitting that limit quite easily...

hehe, i'm trying to kill my 125mb limit and see if the admins will notice...

koc name:Maaya
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 02:25:02 AM »

Yeah, two dozen 1600x1200 full-colour images will be about five megabytes, but I doubt that's what he's doing. Tongue

evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 03:27:27 AM »

well, i suppose if you really wanted me to.....

Perdition

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 05:02:13 AM »

cool evil. throw us a link when you get it going
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: