BPsite Forums
April 25, 2024, 02:56:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BPSITE FOREVER!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mozilla Firebird  (Read 18438 times)
Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2004, 03:15:54 AM »

Maximum PC  vol 9 no.1, January 2004, p. 51

Second Annual
Softy Awards

The creme of this year's software creme made its debut in the November issue of Maximum PC, where it soundly defeated Internet Explorer's de facto web browsing standard in a tense, action packed Head 2 Head.
Firebird is nothing short of a revelatory experience.  User-friendly efficiencies like tabbed browsing,[if your in this area you knwo what that is]..., are a gratifying departure from IE's clunky, multi-window approch.  You can even save entire sets of tabs as bookmarks, so that all your favorite web sites automatically load whenever you launch the browser.[or all your best farms Wink]  The integrated pop-up blockers effectively emilinates the web's most annoying attribute.  Is it any wonder we're hooked?  Sure, you can download pop-up blockers and customizations for IE, but shouldn't these features on included by defult?
We fell in love with Firebird's open-ended nature and the access it gives us to an ever-expanding slew of interesting extensions.  And did we mention that it's free?
The best part, however, is that Firebird hasn't ever hit version 1.0 yet.  Actually thats the next-to-best part.  The best part is that Firebird is Mozilla's direct challenge to Microsoft on the Web browser front.  No matter who wins, the battle will give us all a better browsing experience.

Just wanted to give some recognition to everyone who uses mozilla, yes, it truely is the best.

to those who don't the mozilla website is http://www.mozilla.com

the link to download the latest version of mozilla firebird is http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 03:39:48 AM by Biteme360 » Logged

The One and ONLY Shadow_King
The Tallest Person is the Last One Standing
RipperRoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 05:54:27 PM »

How big is it?
And what really is the difference?

"How could you be intimidated by a woman who had told you in dead seriousness that there were one hundred and seven different kisses, and ninety-three ways to touch a man's face with your hand?" --Min--
"Ohh my feet are getting hotter than a flame grilled otte
ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 11:24:10 PM »

Really small. Its based on Netscape, which is somewhat more stabler than IE. I highly recommend Mozzy Firebird for its efficiency, its compact size, and its easy-to-use features. /me rates it 5/5  :grass: :grass: :grass:
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 11:28:53 PM »

damn straight, that thing kicks ass. i havnt used it in about 2 months due to some kinda error *my asshole dad deleted it* but i think now would be a good time to get it b4 they start charging for it.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 02:56:45 PM »

I find Mozilla (and the Firebird variant) to be slower than IE, in both loading and reacting.
I find the non-standard appearance and inflexibility to be a considerable irritation.
I find the multiple niggles in Moz's XHTML rendering code to be infuriating when trying to create standard-compliant code.

most of all though, I find that doing things different to IE for no good reason (eg: Ctrl-click instead of Shift-Click to open new windows) is just so f­ucking annoying.

Yeah, I don't like Moz that much.

Peter 'SpectralShadows' Boughton,
Seeker of Perfection, BPsite Sitelord.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
evilknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 11:21:27 PM »

well, ill concede that it's a tad slower, but idk, could that have anything to do with the built in popup blocker? im no technician, so idk. also, it's not that bad for me, seeing as how i just browse the internet, i dont code or anything...yet.

HaHa. This post cost SS .5 cents! So Sayeth the Evilknight.
Hmmm. The court will take a 15 minute recess to fix the judicial...bench...thingy. ~Ethan
ns33

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 11:27:48 PM »

ARE YOUR INTERNETS ARE BELONG TO MOZZY
Biteme360

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 04:36:01 PM »

some little things i found on an anti-IE site

« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 04:36:31 PM by Biteme360 » Logged

The One and ONLY Shadow_King
The Tallest Person is the Last One Standing
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »

Just to dispel a myth here: Firebird is NOT slower to start than IE, because IE is already running - it's an integral part of Windows.

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 04:59:47 AM »

IE loads browser windows faster that Mozilla. The reason isn't important, it changes nothing.

On this machine, Mozilla Firefox takes nine seconds for initial session, and three seconds for consecutive ones; IE takes half that time.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming
defiance with the last breath, to spit in the Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
smi256

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 07:16:29 AM »

What about security?  Wink
and CPU/RAM usage
sorry, those are the things I have to worry about on this computer <_<  

*was here
Hornet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »

I've never noticed any high CPU or RAM peaks when fb is running, and it's far more secure than IE, as patches are usually written on the same day as a sploit is discovered.

And you just gotta love tabbed browsing!

In the fridge! By the cheese! Waggle waggle!

Money isn't the solution to life's problems, but it can usually buy it.
SS
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 07:30:31 PM »

I hate tabbed browsing!

Firefox does only use ~10MB less memory than IE, but that's not a problem when you've got a nice chunky 512MB. Tongue
If you're running an antique it might matter.

Never had any security problems with IE - just disable all the ActiveX crap and use a decent firewall.

smi256

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 08:10:30 AM »

I don't have that much RAM, and firewalls don't like me.. <_< no really, the logs get filled with blocked connections FROM MY ISP *cries in frustration*

*was here
diskreet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 07:21:37 AM »

firefox is the best.  sure there are bugs here and there.. it's not even at version 1.0 yet.

it's open source, can be programmed easily, and has a crap load of extensions you can add.. useful ones at that.  makes my life a lot easier when creating new web pages and debugging javascript and other peoples' faulty html tables.  i can eliminate images just by clicking on them, i can force a border on tables, i can select only specific cells of a table at a time (for copy/paste purposes), i can see http headers, customize my browser... the list goes on and on.

as far as the page rendering being slower, you can change the setting that renders the page to not delay.  by default it's set to delay the rendering until it receives most or all of the html to save having to re-draw the page.  in fact you can customize just about every single action the browser takes.

oh, and the automatic downloading does save extra clicks if you take the time to set it up.

might upon might.
strength upon strength.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: